Archived Restrictions due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering since I'm 17, but not in school, what the restrictions for working at my age are or if Target will allow me to work as an adult.
(of course I know there are restrictions for machinery and such that I have to be 18 to use and that can't change, but the question doesn't pertain to that.)

I was wondering since I'm 17, but not in school, what the restrictions for working at my age are or if Target will allow me to work as an adult.
(of course I know there are restrictions for machinery and such that I have to be 18 to use and that can't change, but the question doesn't pertain to that.)

At my store you are still a minor.
Probably get two 4 hour shits a week.
You'd be a cashier most likely, out by 9:30pm.

you cant work past 9:45pm depending on your state labor law. you cant used the baler, forklift, or crown in the backroom. good chance, they will put you in food ave.

Yep, at my store you'd be in food ave unless they are desperate....but especially with the later hours coming up, it's hard for the schedule.

Why just two 4 hour shifts week? Shouldn't I be able to work a full 40?

Cashier out by 9:45 if it were my store. Probably not more than 2-3 days a week. 4 if you're lucky with the Quarter 4 rush coming up.

It all really depends on your state. Too many laws and regulations.

Some states require a parental waiver or a minor work permit.

Some states restrict how many hours a minor can work; either on a daily or weekly basis.

But if you are a minor you cannot work Backroom, Flow, or Food Ave.

Then depending on the state, there are specific curfew work times that you cannot work past. At my stores, you cannot work past 10pm on school nights.

Any heavy machinery or powered equipment, you are not allowed to operate. I think even the cart machine you have to be 18 now.

Hmm, well I just looked up what my states regulations are and it says that at I (17) should be able to work as an adult, I just can't handle machinery. Does target have its own age rules?

As far as I know, you can be hired, but you probably won't be on anything aside from cashier. I know we have a few minors but they only do cashier, I think.

Hmm, well I just looked up what my states regulations are and it says that at I (17) should be able to work as an adult, I just can't handle machinery. Does target have its own age rules?

Target has it's own age rules and that rule is those 18 are considered minors and must be scheduled accordingly.

You won't work past 9:45pm until you're 18. You also can't operate the crown, baler, wave, or even put anything into the baler or trash compactor. There's also hours restrictions, like you can't work more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period (for example, if you worked from 8-4:30 Monday you can't work another shift until after 4:30pm on Tuesday). You also can't work over 8 hours in a day, period. Not even a minute over or you're in compliance.

I'm a sales floor TL and my store has several minors that work on the floor. Most of the minors are cashiers though.

We have minors on the floor and cashier. Target doesn't like for minors to be hired for logistics, but they can be if you get group approval. So you'll probably working front end with the possibility of the floor if you're a minor.

We have minors at FA & SB because those areas close 2 hrs before the store does.

At my store, we generally only hire minors to be cashiers, but once in a while, we'll get a minor cart attendant.

Why just two 4 hour shifts week? Shouldn't I be able to work a full 40?

It depends on state and I'm sure Target has a blanket policy to go along with it. I was getting 40 hours a week at a grocery store as an early morning stocker at 17 in Texas.

Also, nobody under team lead gets scheduled for a full 40. You gotta fight to get that many hours.

Also, nobody under team lead gets scheduled for a full 40. You gotta fight to get that many hours.

At my store receiving, backroom and backroom day usually get 40 hrs and flow gets 40 in Nov/Dec

Retail Girl's store is ULV and thus payroll-challenged. At my A+, receiving/reverse, plano, PAs, brand TMs, and one of our HR TMs generally get 40 hours.

We're all getting hours right now, so maybe for nov/dec you could get good hours. Come January, it's anyone's guess. My 40 hours come from working 12 to 15 hour days when someone calls off and I beg to take the shift. They think I'm crazy....in reality, I'm just poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back