Archived Riding Off Into The Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working in the Flow Team for... 911 days as I write this post and I'm dumbfounded that 2 1/2 years have passed me by. As I sit here and contemplate those 2 1/2 years, I've just realized the irony of it being "911" days ago. Interesting coincidence.

At first, I liked those early morning hours that were accompanied by an additional $1 per hour rate. I averaged +30hrs a week and I had a good E.T.L., T.L., and a bunch of quality team members. That lasted for about a year.

The next year revolved around a store modernization project that was an interesting process to go through. I think when fully implemented, Target and the remaining employees will be better off for the future. That said, it does not take much clairvoyance to see that there will be more growing pains to come as Target turns into that “lean mean selling machine”.

The last six months haven’t been a lot of fun. I’ve seen two young E.T.L’s come through our doors and both are more “company men” than leaders. Even when I was their age and in a similar position(s), I had a better grasp of fundamental leadership skills. So much to learn... (sigh).

As a result of the modernization and the hiring of new employees, I don’t like what Target has done with the reduction of hours storewide and the elimination of health care benefits. I understand the end game, but people still need to put a roof over their head and a loaf of bread in the cupboard. It irritates me that the senior leadership at corporate seemed to overlook the hourly associates in favor of the P&L. Surely there could have been a better compromise between the two?

A couple of miscellaneous thoughts in no particular order:
  • Stating the obvious here, Target does age discriminate. I’ve seen very few in leadership positions in the over 40 category.
  • I realize I’m not endearing myself when I say the following, as a primary income source, retail must be the worst way to make a buck. I look at the E.T.L’s and I shake my head when I think of all the money wasted on a college degree if the best they could do was work at Target. There I said it.
  • Before working in retail and specifically in Flow, I had no idea that so many foreign manufactured products sat on the shelves of Target; I suspect that number is north of 95%. It’s depressing to think of all those good paying manufacturing jobs that were sent overseas and replaced with lower-wage jobs like Target.
Tomorrow will be my last day and I’m excited for the next chapter in life. Target was a good experience (if a bit long), and I will endeavor to remember a few business and leadership practices to NOT repeat in my own life. I will fondly remember my teammates who are really good people that I was blessed to work with.

See ya!

email-deliverability-sunset-policy.png

latest

tumblr_m41e2o5nhT1rw7k3jo1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back