Archived Rules regarding talking off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I was talking to my family and mentioned how we're not allowed to talk about work to other employees when off the clock, and how if we're on lunch we're not even allowed to tell a guest where something is because it is considered "working". They didn't believe me and I wanted to know what we're not allowed to do off the clock. Am I right in assuming that I can't talk about work when I'm on lunch?

Agreed. I've been coached for answering electronics questions for the other team members covering for me over the walkie while i'm n the break room.

The only thing I can understand is the 'using a walkie while not on company time' thing ... it's like customers and pushing tubs.

But the 'not on company time' thing ... is going to be a bit hard to enforce at say ... the bar.

If I had a dime for every time I talked to a guest while coffee-ing at Ptomaine ave. or while I eating lunch in the parking lot or tightening their nuts on the bicycle just bought after I'd signed out ----- I could afford to go to star-bucks ----- Twice --

hmm,depends on your etl staff on how rigid they are with this,I try to use common sense with this,if it is a simple question like where is the rest room? or which way to electronics? I will help,anything else I direct them to the nearest phone or to gs.It is like a lot of our other issues,what started off as a good idea has been beaten to death just like CIHYFS.

hmm,depends on your etl staff on how rigid they are with this,I try to use common sense with this,if it is a simple question like where is the rest room? or which way to electronics? I will help,anything else I direct them to the nearest phone or to gs.It is like a lot of our other issues,what started off as a good idea has been beaten to death just like CIHYFS.

Exactly. I have a couple of ETLs who go ape crap of answering ANY kind of question while off the clock. Where as a few others just don't care. I don't consider telling a guest where something is "work." I consider it common courtesy. But that's just me.
The very first week I worked at Target, I was on lunch and asked where the bikes are kept. I just told them I couldn't answer it as I wasn't on the clock and instead pointed out another team member about 30 feet away who could answer it. They then promptly flipped me off and called me lazy before walking away in the opposite direction of both the bikes, and said team member. SO! I felt bad AND i had been flipped off. Lesson learned. Just answer the damned question. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back