Archived Sabotage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so today was weird. I had a normal opening shift until I was talking to an ETL about some standard issue and all of a sudden she said that she had heard I took a 1 hour lunch today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA! I have never done that in my life. I denied it firmly, as it was untrue. A few hours later, as I was leaving work after a long day, my GSTL pulled me aside and brought up the same topic. Her tone was such that I felt she doubted the sincerity of my denial. I spent an extra 20 minutes after my shift was over to ask a TPS to please check camera footage of when I started and ended my lunch. At the end of that, we went to the GSTL and he told her that I had taken the normal 45 and that he had checked cameras. I also printed out my punches for the day and showed her that too. She responded with something like "it's not like I didn't believe you." If she didn't believe me why would she have had that tone when she was accusing me of it. Thankfully the ETL who had first brought up the subject was there too, so I showed her the punches too. They both stated that multiple people had complained about my long lunch today to them.

I think someone (cashiers?) is trying to get rid of me or at least get me in trouble.

Do you visit the restroom before you clock out for your lunch or after you clock back in after your lunch? Doing that could cause people to perceive your lunch as being longer than what your were clocked out for. Lingering in clerical to talk to someone (whether the reason is brand or not) would definitely do that as well.

Yeah, I got "busted" once because I used to tack on my restroom visits after my break and lunch and I was perceived as taking too long. When you cashier and all your breaks are mapped out on a very specific schedule, it's hard to have any leeway!

In the future, make sure communication with your TL is good when you take lunches and breaks. For instance, once I was asked to attend a chat session and then was told to take my lunch right after (since I was close to compliance). But no one communicated that to the GSA so when I showed up back to the lanes about an hour later, she wasn't terribly happy. An explanation sorted that out, but communication was definitely lacking there (wasn't my fault, but still).

Also, make sure your nose is pretty clean and stick to as close to 15 and 45 as you can, at least for awhile. If people are trying to get you in trouble, make sure you give them nothing to gossip about until this all blows over. Other TMs really shouldn't be timing your breaks or lunches unless it's ridiculously overtime, but I know that as a cashier, when I was told "you can go on your break when X gets back", I was always hyper-aware of how long they were gone because well, big annoying clock right in front of you. If I were the grouchy kind, I could have gotten on people's cases all the time.

I don't think anyone is trying to get you out.

You're a GSA correct? If so then I'm assuming whoever covers your breaks or lunches is probably exaggerating your times.
"John has been on lunch for an hour. I have stuff to do."

My advice is to clock out for lunch as soon as you have someone take over. Don't linger around. When I cover electronics nothing annoys me more
than TMs who buy their lunches before punching out, take a long bathroom breaks before, chat at guest service, or any type of lingering in general.
Once you punch back in from lunch, go to whoever is covering you ASAP. If you need to take care of something then ask if they're willing to cover a little longer.

At my store TMs and TLs announce over walkie when they go on break or lunch.
"LOD Rob, I'm taking my lunch. TL Mary is watching the lanes."

Last edited:
Yes I am Anti. Well my ETL GE told me the other day essentially that I needed to work on being liked ...

You can do the walkie announce "LOD, I'm going on break. LOD I'm back from break."
That way it's very clear when you're on the floor.

Ok I have to tell you all I didn't do any of that foolishness .... and apparently people still complained that I took an hour! To two people with power.

meh. in our store, people get stuck on a lane or with guests and go late. then i hear their peers complain that they took to long. "mary went at 12 (according to the breakdown) and its 1 and she's not back". in reality, mary got stopped by a guest and really went at 1225. great job following up with the tps and your gstl. don't sweat it. you always have spot recording your actions to back you up.
you can also jot down the time you leave on the breakdown before you go. thats what we started doing in electronics because everyone wanted to police everyone else.

Ok I have to tell you all I didn't do any of that foolishness .... and apparently people still complained that I took an hour! To two people with power.

Starting to see why this store burns through GSAs.
You're gonna have to go heavy on CYA until these naysayers give up or get busted themselves.

Starting to see why this store burns through GSAs.
You're gonna have to go heavy on CYA until these naysayers give up or get busted themselves.

We did warn him red, remember lol.

Gotta love the break police! My break does not start until I get into TSC because the way I see it I am still available to get stopped by guest. I once had a backroom team lead who would for example be like ok its 12:00 go on your 15. Be back at 12:15. It takes like 2 or 3 minutes to walk from the backroom to the front at TSC, and another 2-3 minutes to walk back. Yeah right buddy my break doesnt start until I cant be asked to do anymore work. Also leaders need to realize there is stuff Target considers work in terms of "working off the clock" that you are asked to do in TSC while you are up there. Writing great team cards is considering working! Being asked by HR if you can pick up this or that shift is working.

Gotta love the break police! My break does not start until I get into TSC because the way I see it I am still available to get stopped by guest. I once had a backroom team lead who would for example be like ok its 12:00 go on your 15. Be back at 12:15. It takes like 2 or 3 minutes to walk from the backroom to the front at TSC, and another 2-3 minutes to walk back. Yeah right buddy my break doesnt start until I cant be asked to do anymore work. Also leaders need to realize there is stuff Target considers work in terms of "working off the clock" that you are asked to do in TSC while you are up there. Writing great team cards is considering working! Being asked by HR if you can pick up this or that shift is working.

This is both true and false....I have had some fellow TMs "go on break" which means they are in grocery looking for something to eat, find it, walk up front to buy it and wait in line, then finally go in TMSC where they say that "my break doesnt start till im in the breakroom". Even though they somehow forget that they just spent 5 minutes or more browsing for food and waiting in line to buy something. In your examples I would say those are perfectly fine and should not be counted against your break. These same people have taken 25-30 minute breaks before, its rediculous

Ok so today was weird. I had a normal opening shift until I was talking to an ETL about some standard issue and all of a sudden she said that she had heard I took a 1 hour lunch today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA! I have never done that in my life. I denied it firmly, as it was untrue. A few hours later, as I was leaving work after a long day, my GSTL pulled me aside and brought up the same topic. Her tone was such that I felt she doubted the sincerity of my denial. I spent an extra 20 minutes after my shift was over to ask a TPS to please check camera footage of when I started and ended my lunch. At the end of that, we went to the GSTL and he told her that I had taken the normal 45 and that he had checked cameras. I also printed out my punches for the day and showed her that too. She responded with something like "it's not like I didn't believe you." If she didn't believe me why would she have had that tone when she was accusing me of it. Thankfully the ETL who had first brought up the subject was there too, so I showed her the punches too. They both stated that multiple people had complained about my long lunch today to them.

I think someone (cashiers?) is trying to get rid of me or at least get me in trouble.
Am I missing something?!? We are never allowed 45 minute lunch. I rarely get a second break.

Am I missing something?!? We are never allowed 45 minute lunch. I rarely get a second break.

I think some states are 45 minute lunch break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back