Archived Retaliation or not: ETL might have sabotaged transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to move back home due to housing arrangements falling through so I decided to transfer to the Target back home. I was told I had to ask if there were any openings first and then contact my HR to get the ball rolling. Spoke with their HR, had a 7 minute conversation and was basically welcomed to the team, said he'd keep in touch with my store's HR person until I officially moved. Today I gave my ETL a date, she in turn told me to fill out a resignation form. I was confused, she knew I was transferring not quitting. I asked my HR person what the next step was later in the day and she sat me down and told me it was a no-go. Confused, I asked why and she said it was because they currently weren't taking anyone on board despite them saying they had openings in all of softlines....that I lacked a "bubbly personality" and therefore was not qualified to transfer to their store. How would they know what type of person I am? I literally spoke with the guy ONCE and he was very kind... he let me pick a section to work in because they were currently looking to fill positions!

As a person, I can't say I am a social butterfly, but I flutter. Never had any guest complaints, plenty of compliments though, and I always try my best to help out as best as I can. I've been at Target for almost 2 years and we've had 5 ETL's since I started in softlines. The latest one has pushed out anyone that has worked there before she started in November and I know she doesn't like me. She's cut my hours in half despite being a dedicated team member, has consistently told me my department isn't important and therefore I don't need extra hours or help. I'm constantly checked on despite her knowing I can only get so much done in so many days; if I'm off, no one does anything for my department, they let it build up for me. I was scheduled off for 5 days after my birthday and when I came back, 6 u-boats of freight were waiting for me plus 300+ markdowns and they still had the audacity to question why it was all there...I had one TL ask me why it was my birthday as if I have to defend my existence?! Come to find out that same week, they had hired someone new in my absence to takeover my area, this was before I had even told them I was considering a transfer. They told her she was going to be the new shoe person, that no one had control of that, that nothing gets done, that no one does anything for that specific area, that the style team as a collective does the bulk of the work to get that area to where it was....I've been in shoes for almost a year, I've made massive changes to that area considering the last shoe person did a piss poor job. EVERYONE in that store has told me it has never looked better, yet no one is in that section???? That's completely and utterly disrespectful given the context. The point is, I've worked my butt off for little to no recognition and it's the little victories I get when a guest compliments me for taking the time to help them shop, find an item, or just talk. I'm no therapist, but I've had plenty of memorable interactions talking with people and bonding over whatever they're buying and the tangents that stem from it. It's insulting to hear that my personality wasn't up to par for their store, but I call BS because I know for a fact that store has a history of racially profiling guests, rudely answering calls IF they answer, never have anything in stock.....their cashiers don't even know about the redcard. That's the store I went to growing up, don't tell me it's a personality problem when literally 85% of TMs aren't doing their job. That's still besides the point.

The day after I spoke to the other store's HR, my ETL said she shops at the store I'd be transferring to--she also told me she was going to speak to the other store's ETL on my behalf even though I didn't ask her to since HR handles transfers, not ETL's from my understanding. Few days after that, I get talked to about my attitude because a new TM who's sooooo far up my ETL's godly split threw a fit after I told her I wasn't going to do her job for her while I was guest servicing in the fitting room...this is the first time I've ever seen someone cry to an ETL like that, it was pathetic. But of course, she conveniently left out the part where she was snapping at me in front of guests ALL DAY to do as she pleased, how disrespectful and condescending she's been towards the rest of my team and I, and how she waits for everyone to do her job for her because she's off taking long breaks, etc. Today comes and only now my personality is a problem for the other store??? WHAT?!!?!? I've been trying to leave Target for a year now, but it's a small town and there aren't many jobs that pay as much. I'm in college and financially this year was the roughest, but every step of the way this particular ETL has made it difficult for me to work a shift. All I want to do is leave and make sure I can still support myself until I can find another job. This ETL is such a fake, passive-aggressive, vindictive individual, it doesn't surprise me that this happened, especially since that's her local Target. This feels retaliatory, is there anything I can do? Should I talk to the other store and try to find out what happened? Should I speak with the STL?

Sorry for your situation, to say that some ETLs are two-faced would be extremely generous since some seem to have more faces than a hydra and are about as pleasant to deal with, but Spot seems to back them up anyway. Hope it works out for you. 8273

Last edited:
What redeye said, if you are not leaving on good terms then simply quit with 2 weeks notice, don't do anything to sabotage a rehire, and then apply at the new store after you move down.

Especially since we are coming up on the holidays here, if HR sees you are a) already trained and b) your file status is rehirable, they might call up your other store to get an opinion from their HR but are very likely to hire you and form their own opinion since they have 90 days to do so.

If you work out your last two weeks and are on “good terms” (rehireable) you can go to the store you’d like to transfer to and talk to them about being reinstated. A TM that’s rehires within 90 days of leaving would be reinstated at their previous rate of pay and all that Jazz. I know my group is another hiring event here the first weekend of August, that could be another corporate direction for all stores. That would be a perfect time to go seeking a position.

I am sorry that your current store is miserable and you’re so overwhelmingly unhappy there. Unfortunately it sounds like your Leaders aren’t getting the results needed and instead of positive coaching for success they’re just being petty. Hopefully your new store is in a different district!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back