Archived Sales Floor Bitchboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale

Half sweet, Half savory, Completely sexy.
I'll be honest, I've only been at target for 3 months now and I work primarily Sales Floor/Hardlines. But recently I feel like I've just become the bitchboy for the Teamleads. It's either that or they think I'm good enough to work our 2 full carts of A/B block and C/D block abandons within a 20 minute window, all while helping guests and responding to the lanes. It's honestly made me consider training out of the sales floor into something such as the backroom to where I don't have to take care of every single abandon that's put on the line. I don't know if I should just deal with it because it's just because the holidays are stressful as fuck or if I should train into something else.

Honestly, just tell them. They may think that you don't mind. My interim STL told me I needed to Zone and Fill all endcaps. I'm a TL, it's almost Black Friday. I need to make sure that my pallets are set. Ads are separate. I told him no. Period. They think that they can run all over you. Tell them, you're only one person. You will try your best to get it done; however, you make no promises. Then you do what you can. Follow up with them.

Abandoned takes me at least 2 hours for hardlines. Even longer without a mydevice.

Before you go any further, think about where you are and what you want to do. I understand it's frustrating being a constant delegate for tasks, but it seems to speak for your work ethic. It sounds like you're reliable enough as a team member where they know they can pass tasks onto you without worry. This is just the feeling I'm getting, feel free to chime in on your situation with your team leaders.

As much as I hate to say it, this is part of the job. Depending on circumstances, if you continue to thrive and improve it can lead potentially lead you elsewhere. I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but trust me. Good help is a commodity that is difficult to replace. Don't think of yourself as some bitchboy. Instead think of yourself as someone who is dependable enough to be trusted with tasks. Who knows, it could lead elsewhere. Just keep a good attitude, always work on improving your performance and yourself. Even if it goes nowhere, still walk out of there knowing you did damn well better than what most of the people around you could have.

Believe me, I know how difficult it is to have umpteen tasks laid onto you while your ETL heads back to their office to smoke a bowl and play with their phone. Keep your head up and perhaps other leaders will notice you and take you in. If not, at least you'll be better prepared for your next job after you take a steaming load on somebody's desk.

Honestly, just tell them. They may think that you don't mind. My interim STL told me I needed to Zone and Fill all endcaps.
I suppose I could've been more clear in the fact that It's really just my STL that is on my ass constantly, and it may be the fact that she is my STL that makes me feel like I have no choice than getting them done within that time frame.

Abandoned takes me at least 2 hours for hardlines. Even longer without a mydevice.
I know the struggle of that. It's abandons whenever I clock in and my only relief from them is my projects from morning huddle and pulls.

Believe me, I know how difficult it is to have umpteen tasks laid onto you while your ETL heads back to their office to smoke a bowl and play with their phone. Keep your head up and perhaps other leaders will notice you and take you in. If not, at least you'll be better prepared for your next job after you take a steaming load on somebody's desk.
That's one of the reasons why I mostly deal with it and work it out to the best of my ability. I want to show that I can work within a decent time frame and am trustworthy to possibly be considered for a TL position one day. And the day I can finally take a load off on someones desk is the day I'll be ready to die.

If it's your STL I'd definitely sit down and have a "status"

It's the Target way. Those who can accomplish tasks correctly in a timely manner are given more tasks.

Those who goof off or are naturally slower are rarely held accountable.

I see it all the time.

ETA: In all areas of the store. Probably won't change in the BR. It will just be a different set of tasks.

Maybe it was me but I enjoyed being the Team Leads Bitchboy lol. It got me more hours, more responsibility and eventually got me promoted. But eh I dunno.

Maybe it was me but I enjoyed being the Team Leads Bitchboy lol. It got me more hours, more responsibility and eventually got me promoted. But eh I dunno.
I would enjoy it, but I'm the only Hardlines sales member most of the time. So I've got all of that responsibility (Zones, Pulls, Abandons), apart from group zoning and morning huddle projects. I barely get my daily tasks done because I'm constantly pulled away for an abandon or something like that.

I am a hardlines TL and I am a "bitchboy" as well. I have no TMs during the day so I have to do all the reshop, zoning, filling ends, setting new SPLS and now researching and filling the floor since we pretty much have no instocks team (which is really hard with no device, unless I just pull without scanning which I would never ever do )

But I've gotten to the point where I really just don't care anymore. Of course I don't let any of the lazy ass ETLS know this. As far as they know brand is very important as well as signing and single price point ends. I will consider those things important when payroll supports me enough to consider them important.

Our district is way over ETL headcount. There are 3 SRTLs and a VML in my store ahead of me as far as promotions go. But our DTL said no one is being promoted till we are under head count. So what is the point, I'm just getting the old resume out and updating Linkedin.

ASANTS, but if it's just coming from your STL, smile and nod while they're talking and then ignore it. STLs tend to be a bit delusional and a bit out of touch with the day-to-day happenings of various workcenters when they're focused solely on the big picture. Let them have their fun and get their "big ideas" out into the world and their power trip out of their system, but just do your job to the best of your ability and they'll be forced to accept it.

Myself and a couple of other people on my team bust our asses, and our STL just keeps piling more on us and it's ridiculous stuff half the time. We'll smile, nod, and agree to do what they ask, and if we can fit it in between our other tasks, fantastic, but if not...oh well. The STL will either be looking at mountains of backstock OR an unfinished 'project' that he threw on us with no warning- but they can't expect a spotless backroom, and BRTMs pulling and pushing research, and pulling all Flex orders within 5-10min of dropping, and BRTMs helping finish Flow's work, and re-pushing all challenge.

It's like that old "triangle" idea- fast, cheap, quality. ...pick two, because you're never going to get all 3. Quality work delivered quickly will cost you quite a bit. If you want something fast and cheap the quality will be terrible...so even if it's on a subconscious level, I think most leaders realize they'll NEVER get everything they ask for, but they still ask.

((maybe that was a bit murky- I'm not trying to say to ignore the orders of leadership, but rather to ignore the stress behind those orders. It sounds like you're a good TM with a solid work ethic and that you've developed a reputation as a good worker. Don't let impossible demands get you down. It's REALLY hard to get over that mental hump- I was exactly the same when I started, but as I gained the confidence of my TL and ETL and started hearing them make comments about how "it'll never get done. Oh well." or "____(STL) has impossible standards" it really took the pressure off me once I realized that everyone up the food chain felt the same way I did!))

ASANTS, but if it's just coming from your STL, smile and nod while they're talking and then ignore it. STLs tend to be a bit delusional and a bit out of touch with the day-to-day happenings of various workcenters when they're focused solely on the big picture. Let them have their fun and get their "big ideas" out into the world and their power trip out of their system, but just do your job to the best of your ability and they'll be forced to accept it.

This is so true. STLs in general are idealist. They are great at identiftying what nees to be done but they rarely follow up. I love my STL to death but he will give our HR team a project then forget he even asked us.

My STL did the worst thing he could possibly do when he took over our store (probably trying to make a name for himself). He tried to fix a System that wasn't broken.

If you think its bad now and wanna move to the backroom to get some relief but complain about too much work, take my word for it when I say you wont like the backroom anymore than you do your current position. The backroom is a dumping ground for abandoned product, that you, yourself will be responsible and held accountable for keeping clean. Be greatful thats all youve got to do in 2 hours because in the back....your tasks and responsibilities will sky rocket. In 2 hours in the back we pull 11 hour long autofills in 1 hour, move and throw to onw another multiple pallets with 400-800 pieces of freight, climb up and down latters, then organize 15-20 vehicals of backstock in waiting for the next 15 to come back, then backstock thousands of individual product...within 4-5 hours. youl be wishing you still had that "bitchboy" job. :cool:

I'll be honest, I've only been at target for 3 months now and I work primarily Sales Floor/Hardlines. But recently I feel like I've just become the bitchboy for the Teamleads. It's either that or they think I'm good enough to work our 2 full carts of A/B block and C/D block abandons within a 20 minute window, all while helping guests and responding to the lanes. It's honestly made me consider training out of the sales floor into something such as the backroom to where I don't have to take care of every single abandon that's put on the line. I don't know if I should just deal with it because it's just because the holidays are stressful as fuck or if I should train into something else.
Don't switch to backroom. You'll just be required to do the same thing, but with backstocking and pulling.

As a few other said above, it is part of the job sometimes. However, I was in the same position in the past. Killing yourself to meet ridiculous expectations isn't good. Do your best, but if it gets to the point that you're sprinting around like crazy, tell them you either need help, or won't finish. Be honest, but polite.

As a few other said above, it is part of the job sometimes. However, I was in the same position in the past. Killing yourself to meet ridiculous expectations isn't good. Do your best, but if it gets to the point that you're sprinting around like crazy, tell them you either need help, or won't finish. Be honest, but polite.
I've had times where I couldn't finish a cart before the end of my scheduled time, I make it a point to tell someone else working in the same area or my team lead so they know the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back