Salvage

Putting found salvage ($0.00) on the salvage pallet without scanning it out as salvage under pricing or using the new missed salvage function under remove item is creating shortage for your store. Sure, it will negativly impact pricing metrics but by not accounting for the fact the item is on the salvage pallet is hurting the store in 2 ways. #1- your inventory results will be bad... it's based on what the RDC sends, subtracts what's sold/defected ect vs what's counted at time of inventory = loss. It's very unethical to just toss salvage in the box without processing it first. I have known of 3 team members be put on a conduct cca for negligance in the past for doing this. #2- Target use to get 10 cents per dollar of the original retail for all salvage and by not counting it you are not losing potential revenue that Target would get for said item. No one ever scans salvage pallets they pay 10 cents on the dollar for whatever amount Target says we put on the pallet. The amount is from what's defected or counted as salvage in pricing. If you just toss it in the box you are giving it away for free 😑

Putting found salvage ($0.00) on the salvage pallet without scanning it out as salvage under pricing or using the new missed salvage function under remove item is creating shortage for your store. Sure, it will negativly impact pricing metrics but by not accounting for the fact the item is on the salvage pallet is hurting the store in 2 ways. #1- your inventory results will be bad... it's based on what the RDC sends, subtracts what's sold/defected ect vs what's counted at time of inventory = loss. It's very unethical to just toss salvage in the box without processing it first. I have known of 3 team members be put on a conduct cca for negligance in the past for doing this. #2- Target use to get 10 cents per dollar of the original retail for all salvage and by not counting it you are not losing potential revenue that Target would get for said item. No one ever scans salvage pallets they pay 10 cents on the dollar for whatever amount Target says we put on the pallet. The amount is from what's defected or counted as salvage in pricing. If you just toss it in the box you are giving it away for free 😑
Well assuming whoever originally activated the salvage task would have accounted for all on hands at the time of initial salvage. Missed salvage isn’t really not processing it. It’s just sending what was already counted out but missed. So there’s a pretty big difference from what you are saying to what the other posters were saying.

Who would type in the OH number when activating salvage? Your only supposed to enter the actual number found. It wouldn't be ethical as your faking pricing metrics to say you found the full OH. Plus your also affecting accurate shortage indicators IE: A printer goes salvag.with an OH of 2. Only 1 is found. You enter 2 to protect a pricing metric but 1 was really stolen 2 months ago. Now your making it look like it wasn't stolen when you say 2 were salvaged. What I'm saying is when procesing or activating salvage you should always be honest - otherwise your financials, inventory, and yearly inventory results will not be accurate.

And why when you are defecting cold/frozen food items as out of temp does it tell you to donate rather than toss? We toss anyway but donate should not be the default.

because there is nothing wrong with a lot of things that are "out of temp". If someone puts ice cream in the cooler and you discover it, you have to defect it because you don't know how long it was there, but it is still solid. It can be donated. I think a lot of the opu cooler/freezer items go to donate.

I scan it out under Pricing
But is it necessary? It's already coming up zero, why does it have to go through pricing? I'm looking for a reason, like it needs to be piece-counted in the system or something. I'm pretty sure everyone in Style just throws zero merch in the bin.

Is there written guidance on this? Because I agree with @allnew2 that it's already been activated, just not put in the box.

Ok I'm up to speed lol. So it really just depends on how people originally count price changes. I usually enter the actual amount I find, but there are times when I just let the amount in the system roll. I'm guessing regardless that there are tons of discrepancies and our markdown/salvage counts are way off company-wide.

Yes I agree you should always be honest with the counts you find but with everything at Target there is always a metric to protect. You can see this with pricing and not putting up labels, burning batches for OFOs (or doing the pull and not pushing it), protecting INF, tying pogs without setting them for set on time, etc etc.

Target right now likes green metrics and sometimes will push that over price accuracy, a full floor, or an accurate set. I’m not saying I agree and I wish it wasn’t the case but that’s how they cut corners. And normally turning off ship or canceling trailers is their solution to catch up on the workload they intentionally ignored in the first place.

Modernization has hurt Target in many ways and we all know that. Corporate is the one that needs to fix these problems that they created by destroying the backroom and Pricing and Presentation teams. I’m only going to do what they tell me to do even if I don’t agree because I’m not the one making the decisions or writing the checks. If they want the metric green whether it’s faking it then that’s what we will do. Not my place to argue.

And why when you are defecting cold/frozen food items as out of temp does it tell you to donate rather than toss? We toss anyway but donate should not be the default.
because there is nothing wrong with a lot of things that are "out of temp". If someone puts ice cream in the cooler and you discover it, you have to defect it because you don't know how long it was there, but it is still solid. It can be donated. I think a lot of the opu cooler/freezer items go to donate.

You are supposed to check off the "Throw Away" box before submitting it or else it will tell you to donate. You can't donate out of temp items unless your store has a program for that (most don't).

Yes I agree you should always be honest with the counts you find but with everything at Target there is always a metric to protect. You can see this with pricing and not putting up labels, burning batches for OFOs (or doing the pull and not pushing it), protecting INF, tying pogs without setting them for set on time, etc etc.

Target right now likes green metrics and sometimes will push that over price accuracy, a full floor, or an accurate set. I’m not saying I agree and I wish it wasn’t the case but that’s how they cut corners. And normally turning off ship or canceling trailers is their solution to catch up on the workload they intentionally ignored in the first place.

Modernization has hurt Target in many ways and we all know that. Corporate is the one that needs to fix these problems that they created by destroying the backroom and Pricing and Presentation teams. I’m only going to do what they tell me to do even if I don’t agree because I’m not the one making the decisions or writing the checks. If they want the metric green whether it’s faking it then that’s what we will do. Not my place to argue.
Yes, this. Corners cut everywhere. Whether found salvage is put through price change or just tossed into the bin is probably one of the least egregious things done, especially when whole swaths of price changes are activated without actually being worked (not by me!).

BTW, what does burning a batch of ofos mean?

It doesn’t ever tell you to automatically toss unless the vendor doesn’t want it back and it can’t be donated. It typically only automatically says to toss for bulky 3rd party items and dollar spot items. For cold/frozen items it typically doesn’t but it definitely should. I’m pretty sure it still doesn’t. I know it didn’t on the mywork defect system.

It really shouldn't be hard to code the item removal screen to default anything out of temp to destroy/toss (or return to vendor, if that's the default for that product). That, in fact, should be the easiest part of the whole thing.

I asked that very question of HQ over a year ago, and was told it should be a matter of training at store level , but thanks for bringing it to their attention.

Back