Archived Scheduled to Close-Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too upset about the schedule I worked this weekend, mostly because shifts for seasonal team members ended yesterday and I'm only on the schedule at all because I was fortunate enough to be asked to stay on. That said, I was scheduled to close Saturday and my shift ended at midnight. I was surprised to find that I was also scheduled for ad set at 4am on Sunday, immediately followed by a midday sales floor shift.

I don't mind late shifts that end after midnight, and I also don't mind the occasional 3am alarm for an early shift. But after working more than 18 of the last 24 hours with less than 3 hours at home to rest in between, I'm not sure I have the stamina to pull all-nighters anymore like I did in my 20s.

If you discovered after a schedule had been posted that you only had 4 hours off overnight between shifts on consecutive days, would you try to get it changed? If so, who would you talk to about this? I hate being difficult, and normally just work whatever shifts I am scheduled for without complaint, but I really don't know if I have the energy for any more all-nighters between long shifts.

Hopefully it won't ever happen again, but if it does I would love some suggestions for the best way to request that the schedule be changed without being a nuisance to anyone.

Thanks!

This is an oversight. They didn't look at the previous schedule thus not seeing the sat close. Ask Hr to fix it, shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think you are being difficult at all. In most states there are labor laws that are suppose to give you a certain amount of time between shifts. I would talk to your hr or etl/hr explain to them the situation. Ask them is this normal etc. Hopefully they will tell you it was an over sight etc. However, they should double check the schedule before posting it for errors like that .

Oh yes, the dreaded clopening.
It used to be company policy not to do that kind of crap.
Apparently at some point that policy was dropped.
As to state laws, there are only a few states that have laws like that and they are for jobs might cause bodily harm if people don't get enough sleep (you would think there would be more at least for those).

But yes, go to HR and let them know you think there was a mistake.
There's a good chance that as decent human beings they will fix it.
They might beg you to do it, "just this once" because they don't have anybody else to do it.
If you decide to do it, make sure they pay for it.

This is a common occurrence blamed on MyTime. I've been told that MyTime creates a schedule, a human being "fixes" it, then MyTime screws it up again. I'm not sure exactly which step is a lie, but I suspect it's step two. ;) Either way, never take it personally.

I'm not sure we did this to TMs at my store but this was an expectation for TLs and above. I didn't know how they did it. I would see them leave at 1am then be back at 5am. Sucks more for those who live over 30 min away.

My ETL does it at least once a week to me.

Not like this.

I do normal clopens regularly.

I'd tell most people whining about them to suck it up and deal with it.

But working till 10:30, then coming back at 7:30, or even the very worst possible: 12:30, and then 7:30, is still seven hours. Midnight, then back at 4 AM is much worse.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've been in and out of retail for over a decade and never heard the term 'clopen' before... learn something new every day!
I do normal clopens regularly.

I'd tell most people whining about them to suck it up and deal with it.

But working till 10:30, then coming back at 7:30, or even the very worst possible: 12:30, and then 7:30, is still seven hours. Midnight, then back at 4 AM is much worse.
Exactly... doesn't seem so bad until you realize that you barely have time for a short nap and shower before heading back in. An extra hour or two would have made all the difference.

I've had to pull occasional all-nighters in almost every job I've held, even corporate manangement, so whether it was an oversight or just that I was the first available person they found to work the shift (I think there have been a few NCNS and more than a dozen call-outs per day the past week or two), I don't mind as long as it doesn't become a regular thing.

Either way, I'm sure it would have been nearly impossible to get anyone to cover either a Saturday evening or Sunday morning shift during the holidays, especially since they have been posting the schedules a few days late and it would have been such short notice. Sure is great motivation to keep me focused on finding another corporate position ASAP though!

I've clopened a couple of times this past month when we were open until 12 am. It was the worst thing ever, but my ETL-GE told me that the whole "8 hours between shifts" thing is just something they say. They don't actually enforce it.

I believe it's law that we have 8 hours between shifts in my state. They do enforce that....but....i have opened and closed on the same day, a few times. I have to take an additional lunch or take one longer lunch.

Luckily we closed early tonight so clopening won't be so rough.

The 8-hr rule wasn't enforced at my store either.
I closed a lot because the other GSAs/GSTLs were going to school.
That didn't stop me from getting called to come in at 7am after getting out near midnight.
Clopening was my life for nearly 2 yrs.

A couple weekends ago I was scheduled 3:30-Midnight saturday night, and Midnight-8:30 sunday morning.. I was gonna work it, but my HR wouldn't let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back