Archived Seasonal Cashier Newbie: Codes and Spiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a new seasonal cashier and I'm having trouble getting good answers from my GSTL: She scowls at me, pushes me out of the way, does the action herself and then barks "Troubleshoot!" or "Fast and Friendly!" . . . which only ensures that I bother her again since she won't tell me how to do the action she did. Sigh. My fellow cashiers are super friendly but usually too busy to help me. My training was sparse even though I asked to go over the workbench training on the computer. Denied.

I have a bunch of questions I hope you can help with?

1. For clothes with no barcode and no customer input (customer has no idea what the price might be) my GSTL looked at some place on the clothes label and input a code there. Maybe it was a code beginning with the letter "D"? Can you tell me what she was looking at and how to input it?

2. I forget the context of this, but, maybe you know -- the GSTL looked at the receipt for a V-something-or-other-number? What is that and when is it used?

3. For customers using foodstamp cards (I assume that's the issue?) and the register comes up with something like "Some of these items are not covered, do you want to see those items?" How do you handle that? Do you see what isn't covered and then void the sale and start over with just the covered items and do a separate transaction for the non-covered items?

4. I've been trying to figure out the security spiders on my own from the one or two that might be left behind. I think I have the games case figured out (hook on end, the move slider) and the razor blade one figured out (line up with two little indents on side and move slider) but I have no practice with the round ones like the one that goes around the neck of a bottle, or the one that might be corded around a larger object -- how do those work?

5. For rated "M" games - do I need to make sure not to sell these to minors? Or, is there anything I need to be aware of?

6. Last time I worked I was tasked to clean up One Spot by one GSTL (the scowler) but then was told to jump back on a register by another GSTL. Since I couldn't do the One Spot completely the Scowler was plenty angry at me! Is there a way I should have handled that better? I told her -- with great humbleness and a smile -- I had been requested by another GSTL to come off of One Spot and back to the register. That appeared not to have been the right answer.

Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask. Any help on any of the above questions would be appreciated!

For clothing, the DPCI number is usually somewhere on the inside. It is a 9 digit number with the same format as a social security number. IIRC, you can just key in the number directly and the register will take it.

Pretty sure that is the case.

I am still kinda new to my GSA role but I will try to help out.

I'll start with 2, since 1 has already been answered.

#2.) That V# was most likely the VCD# at the bottom of the receipt. It's usually used when you have to do a return and the barcode on the receipt wont scan so we have to key in the REC# (reciept) and that VCD#. At the checklanes you use the VCD# to fix a mistake, like a missed coupon or a wrong price.

#3.) With the foodstamp card I personally don't usually hit the key to show what items are/aren't covered. The guest paying with those cards usually know exactly what items they are getting that will be covered by the card (the food related items). When they swipe their card those items will come off and then they will use the second form of pymt for the items that weren't covered.

#4.) Sorry I have never had to deal with the bottle neck security devices. I can check with our TPS and try to get an answer for you if nobody else on here has any advice for you.

#5.) If it says not to sell to minors, don't. I know it can be a pain. I actually had a parent flip on me b/c I wouldn't sell a rated "M" game to his son so the 10 year old had to go out to the car to get dad. But its just best to stay in the habit of best practice so you don't have any issues down the line.

#6.) It sounds like the "Scowler" is just unhappy, not sure what to say about that one.

I'm really sorry you're not getting more help from your GSTL. Just keep doing your best and ask questions. The Leaders want to see you succeed, take an active role in the learning process and in your development, they'll help you out. I hope I was at least a little helpful. And team if I have mislead in any way, please correct me.

1. Basically what they said above. There's a little Target tag with the other tags inside the clothes. It's the nine digit number, usually the first one listed, that you key in.

3. The food stamp card will only cover food items, but the guest may buy clothes and other non-food items as well. If they want to see what they have to pay for via a different method, then you select that you want to see those items. Usually guests know what the card covers and not, but I always ask them if they'd like to see it (answer is usually no). Then the rest of the transaction is a different method of pay. Sort of like paying for an order in two different ways.

4. I apologize that this may not be the best explanation: on the round spider thing, you should see two little indents on the round disc thing. You take the same magnetic hook thing at your register and line up their indents with the ones on the round disc. Between the two of them, on the bottom of the disc, closest to the item, there's an area that looks/feels different (hard to explain, but you'll see it). While the indents are lined up, you push that area in and it should come out and apart. Then you untangle. I'm sorry this wasn't written in a better way.

5. When you scan a M-rated game, it asks for ID. Like with an alcohol sale, the person paying for it has to be old enough. So you just ask for their ID and scan it. At least, this is what I was told.

6. I would think that if you were requested to get back on register, that should've been your action (as it was). It's like when they call for backup cashiers, everyone has to stop what they're doing to come up and help. As long as you didn't leave the cleaning supplies in the way of things, or as a fire hazard, etc., I think you did the right thing. When things at the registers calmed down, I would've asked the GSTL (the second one) if they'd like you to finish up your cleaning project.

Hi, I'm a new seasonal cashier and I'm having trouble getting good answers from my GSTL: She scowls at me, pushes me out of the way, does the action herself and then barks "Troubleshoot!" or "Fast and Friendly!" . . . which only ensures that I bother her again since she won't tell me how to do the action she did. Sigh. My fellow cashiers are super friendly but usually too busy to help me. My training was sparse even though I asked to go over the workbench training on the computer. Denied.

I have a bunch of questions I hope you can help with?

1. For clothes with no barcode and no customer input (customer has no idea what the price might be) my GSTL looked at some place on the clothes label and input a code there. Maybe it was a code beginning with the letter "D"? Can you tell me what she was looking at and how to input it?

2. I forget the context of this, but, maybe you know -- the GSTL looked at the receipt for a V-something-or-other-number? What is that and when is it used?

3. For customers using foodstamp cards (I assume that's the issue?) and the register comes up with something like "Some of these items are not covered, do you want to see those items?" How do you handle that? Do you see what isn't covered and then void the sale and start over with just the covered items and do a separate transaction for the non-covered items?

4. I've been trying to figure out the security spiders on my own from the one or two that might be left behind. I think I have the games case figured out (hook on end, the move slider) and the razor blade one figured out (line up with two little indents on side and move slider) but I have no practice with the round ones like the one that goes around the neck of a bottle, or the one that might be corded around a larger object -- how do those work?

5. For rated "M" games - do I need to make sure not to sell these to minors? Or, is there anything I need to be aware of?

6. Last time I worked I was tasked to clean up One Spot by one GSTL (the scowler) but then was told to jump back on a register by another GSTL. Since I couldn't do the One Spot completely the Scowler was plenty angry at me! Is there a way I should have handled that better? I told her -- with great humbleness and a smile -- I had been requested by another GSTL to come off of One Spot and back to the register. That appeared not to have been the right answer.

Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask. Any help on any of the above questions would be appreciated!

For clothing, the DPCI number is usually somewhere on the inside. It is a 9 digit number with the same format as a social security number. IIRC, you can just key in the number directly and the register will take it.
Ditto! Most will be on the shirt or pants tag. Hanes clothing usually has the UPC. Its a easy way to catch ticket switchers.

2. VCD - I can't remember the full name. But its to verify hand typed receipt numbers or original receipts.

3. This may vary depending on your state. I worked one SuperT where the guest had to just swipe their food card. If not all items were covered by the card, the POS will not finalize and will prompt that there is still a balance on the transaction needing to be paid. If its still the same, the POS is setup to detect which items are covered and which aren't.

4. Get with your GSTL or AP.

Guest service or Electronics should have spares for you to practice with. And depends if your store allows cashiers to release a spider or if a GSA/GSTL is the only ones allowed.

5. From what I remember, M rated games require a drivers license. Really any time the POS prompts for a drivers license on an item, it is either required by law or company policy, and cannot bypassed without the GSTL/GSA.

Music and movies are not restricted. So if it has a parental advisory sticker or Rated R and the POS does not prompt, the guest (no matter the age) can purchase the item.

6. If the traffic is slow enough, it is expected to zone the lanes, card wall, One Spot, and any nearby clothing. You can keep your lane light on as long as you are immediate to the lanes.

Just check with the GSA/GSTL you are going to do One Spot and turn off your light. If guests start coming in, jump back one. One Spot is really just junk. The area doesn't need a professional zone. Just as neat as possible. You want to try to find its exact location. If you can't find something and there is absolutely nothing else like it, just place it in its proper price point area.

GSTLs/GSAs are to there to help you and the guest. If they are not training you properly or answering your questions, then go to another or ETL-GE. This is seasonal time so you may just be the 5th cashier with the same questions.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, this is incredibly helpful, AND fast and friendly :) I really appreciate it! (blood pressure slowly decreasing . . . )

I am slow answering these, so everyone help beat me :D That is what I get for watching tv while posting.

DPCI - On clothing you can find it in the neck, with the sizing tag, or along a seam at the bottom of shirts. Typically says Target and then has numbers below it. Great way to quickly check clothing.

VDC - It is a way for us to gain access to certain Fix Mistake functions and returns. You may use it to do a fix mistake at your register for a missed coupon, etc.

No you just say okay to that screen and it will process everything that is covered. Now if the guest have questions about what is not covered, then you can look at it. Otherwise the computer knows what to do.

The spider wraps have two holes. Place the magnet key over them and let the two prongs go into the two holes and then push in on the two sides where the cords go in. It should pop apart.

The computer should know to request for IDs, and you just swipe/scan them.

This is one of those times when no one is happy. Just they need to clear communication between the GSTLs. The store needs change randomly and that means re-positioning team members to meet those needs.

Thanks redbird, with each response I get more info I can use!

The spiderwraps that go on bottles only have ONE notch so you line up one from the magnetic key, squeeze until you hear/feel a click & then it will come off.
The item code is called a DPCI, you'll hear that a lot when someone is requesting one for an unmarked item. Most clothing has a tiny tag with the DPCI. If it's not near the neck tag it will be in one of the side seams. NEVER accept a detached tag from a guest if they hand you an item without checking to see if it matches (at the very least, scan the tag to see if it even matches the item/brand description).
ID requirements are 3-tiered: 17+ is for media with mature content (violent video games, CDs with parental advisories, etc). 18+ is for lighters, nicotine gum/products, certain chemicals, propellants, certain medications. 21+ is alcohol/beer/wine. In some areas they conduct stings to check for compliance (usually for alcohol sales). Failure can bring a lot of trouble to you & your store.
Your GSTL is SUPPOSED to be overseeing your training. Sorry you got stuck with a dud.

In response to your question about guests using foodstamp cards, I always check to see what is not covered. It doesn't void the sale, it gives you the option of making an item food stampable. There are often items that are incorrect in the system and checking before you complete the sale will save you time and hassle and give you a vibe moment with your guest.

Be careful what you're changing on foodstamp status. It usually flags on the GSTL's LPDA & they may come over to see what you were changing.
We had a cashier fired for changing items for friends/family (dog/cat food, candy, etc).

On the food stamp cards, I normally ask the guest if they'd like to see what isn't covered. That way they tell you if they're already aware that they'll be paying for a portion of the transaction out of pocket or if there's going to be an issue. Most of the guests buy the same products and will say they don't need to see it, but every once in awhile I'll get someone who wasn't expecting to have to pay for anything and then you'll have to check the list and maybe remove the items or get the GSTL.

Every once in a while, I'll come across an item that should be FS-eligible but doesn't show on the register. I have no problem with changing it if it's a food item, but I always call the GSTL first to make sure they know I'm doing it. CYA, you know.

It does not flag the GSTL. Relax and do what is right for the guest.

Yes it does. Just because the GSTL doesn't come check on it doesn't mean we didn't get the alert that you did it.

You may be right. I've worked plenty of GSA shifts and have never received that alert and I encourage cashiers to change anything that is food to foodstample. But regardless, if POS lets you do it and it seems right for the guest then do it. Target has empowered the cashiers in order to keep the guests happy and keep checkout fast. Use your power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back