Archived Seasonal cashier: what are my chances of staying on after the holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just got hired as a seasonal cashier last month. I've been working about three weeks and have not called in sick, have not been late, and my schedule is very open. IMO, I have been doing a good job for a newby, but I've only been able to sign up two red cards so far.

What are my chances of staying on as a permanent part time employee after the holidays? I know that Target lays off a lot of people and cuts hours after Christmas. I'd really really like to stay if I can. Should I just expect to get laid off since I was hired as seasonal?

Thanks for reading :)

Honestly, it depends on your store's needs. That really isn't anything we can predict. You'll know in another month to month in a half. But yes, if you are hired on, expect hours to be cut way back as sales drop off in January.

It also doesn't hurt if you stand out as a stellar TM.
No call-outs, on time for every shift, willing to stay extra if asked, willing to come in extra shifts if called, eager to learn different areas, no gossip or trash-talk.

Get more redcards and let your TL know when you get them. Ask EVERY customer. "Are you enjoying your holidays? That is wonderful to hear. You know that you can save 5% on all of your target purchases with our debit or credit redcard. Can get you applied in about 60 seconds." Make sure you have some wonderful rebuttals too.

Along with that, during slow periods make sure you are not being told to do stuff. Straighten stuff, clean, do your put backs and your neighbors. Wish you the best of luck staying.

Hey if I scratch their back they will scratch mine... at least that is how it is SUPPOSE to go.

Depends on the store's needs. Your present and future availability. Your call-ins and NCNS record. Cashier speed and red card scores.

There will be years that stores will not keep any seasonal TMs, only a handful, or a bunch.

I would say what everyone's listed above but since they're always so eager to get redcards I'm sure it has a lot to do with how many of those you get as well honestly. It's probably if you can get a lot of redcards then it increase your chances of them hiring you on permanently.

Try for redcards, but if you are really asking everyone and they already have one or aren't interested just keep at it. I CA and cashier, also seasonal and I only got 3 so far in 2 weeks. I will keep at it, but I am also going to cross train in different areas as well. I feel confident that I will be kept on.

Cashier tips: Do strays and hanger bin when its slow. Restock bags too and get spare bags for your other cashier's when you do it. Zone the area (candy, coolers, etc). Show a willingness to learn and just be helpful overall. Keep picking up shifts/working late etc. If they ask "Do you want to be cross trained in so and so area?" say yes. The more you can do, the more potential hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back