I'm Lost! Seasonal Hire Questions

Hey! I have a few questions regarding work. I started working as GM two weeks ago, worked for a week and then I was off the whole next week, and I kinda enjoy the job. Well, I really prefer backstocking much more than working on the floor.
  1. What am I really supposed to do? After "training" I kind of got the idea of what I'm supposed to do, but I didn't get to work next week so I don't know the flow. What I've been doing is just asking my fellow TMs on what I should be doing. Usually I help the TMs push/backstock all day/whatever the TL tells me to do since I'm basically "free" all day.
  2. Do I have to wear a name tag? This is my second week here and no one's said a thing about it, and honestly I don't mind keeping it that way until a TL tells me I have to wear one.
  3. Should I really asks guests if they need help if I don't even know the store myself? I only know some specific sections and I am sometimes as lost as the guest in directions. A majority of the time I've told the guests to wait and then I just look for a TM to help me out. Please tell me if that's a dickhead move or something.
  4. Do I really have to say hi to everyone? It feels like a lot of people are closed off so I've basically only said hi to this really cool coworker and this other trainee that started the day after me. I don't say hi to my trainer either, even when he's like literally one of the first people I see. It's just because I've asked these dudes so many questions, even sometimes the same question but in different words, I must've definitely annoyed them countless times. Plus I've read a lot about the seasonals and how they leave after a certain amount of time, so it's definitely understandable.
  5. What is the etiquette on Marijuana in California? Will I ever randomly get drug tested if im just a seasonal employee? Should I never talk about it with my coworkers? I'm afraid I've told one of my coworkers, they asked, that I "occasionally smoke", but I don't know if I'll get snitched on for that. I will never show up high to work.
I plan on showing up to every day I'm scheduled since I have nothing better to do. Plus I want to buy a car + pay for my classes. Heard the job's gonna get way worse and I've barely even hit the start of it. I am pretty clumsy/forgetful in real life too. I always find that I leave my box cutter somewhere stupid, I definitely need to try to work on that.

Last edited:
Hey! I have a few questions regarding work. I started working as GM two weeks ago, worked for a week and then I was off the whole next week, and I kinda enjoy the job. Well, I really prefer the backroom much much more than working on the floor. I think my GM squad knows I love backroom so they try to set me up with it as much as possible. I'm pretty shy/quiet and I still don't know how I got hired as this position, but I think I'm doing okay.
  1. What am I really supposed to do? After "training" I kind of got the idea of what I'm supposed to do, but I didn't get to work next week so I don't know the flow. What I've been doing is just asking my fellow TMs on what I should be doing. Usually I help the TMs push/backstock all day/whatever the TL tells me to do since I'm basically "free" all day.
  2. Do I have to wear a name tag? This is my second week here and no one's said a thing about it, and honestly I don't mind keeping it that way until a TL tells me I have to wear one.
  3. Should I really asks guests if they need help if I don't even know the store myself? I only know some specific sections and I am sometimes as lost as the guest in directions. A majority of the time I've told the guests to wait and then I just look for a TM to help me out. Please tell me if that's a dickhead move or something.
  4. Do I really have to say hi to everyone? It feels like a lot of people are closed off so I've basically only said hi to this really cool coworker and this other trainee that started the day after me. I don't say hi to my trainer either, even when he's like literally one of the first people I see. It's just because I've asked these dudes so many questions, even sometimes the same question but in different words, I must've definitely annoyed them countless times. Plus I've read a lot about the seasonals and how they leave after a certain amount of time, so it's definitely understandable.
  5. What is the etiquette on Marijuana in California? Will I ever randomly get drug tested if im just a seasonal employee? Should I never talk about it with my coworkers? I'm afraid I've told one of my coworkers that I "occasionally smoke", but I don't know if I'll get snitched on for that. I will never show up high to work.
I plan on showing up to every day I'm scheduled since I have nothing better to do. Plus I want to buy a car + pay for my classes. Heard the job's gonna get way worse and I've barely even hit the start of it. I am pretty clumsy/forgetful in real life too. I always find that I leave my box cutter somewhere stupid, I definitely need to try to work on that.
What Backroom ?? As a gm you are expected to own your area even if you are a inbound tm. You will be zoning , exf , pull man caf , push truck , you will be trained to do pog and clearance . Backroom no longer exist . Unless you were scheduled as a bulk person you won’t be in the Backroom unless you need to pull or backstock . Yes you should wear a name tag, don’t talk to team member that you smoke weed . Im a tl and I don’t like to hear about that shit what you do off the clock is not my business but you don’t want to give a different appearance. ( I do live in CA) I have nothing against weed whatever . And while on the floor you should say hi to the guest even tho you don’t know the area use your walkie to still give a good guest experience.

I don't greet every guest and neither do most of my coworkers, even the TLs. If we happen to make eye contact I will smile, and of course I will help them if they have a question. You probably shouldn't follow that example though, lol. If you don't know the answer to a guest's question, it's perfectly fine for you to try and find someone who does, or to ask on the walkie.

It's best to get in the habit of wearing your badge every shift, as they will mention it from time to time if you don't. I have always had a bad habit of not wearing mine, but I recently started making sure to wear it as it was brought up at a few morning meetings. I wasn't singled out, it was just a general statement.

I'm not sure about other stores, but in ours and in my area (Style) we don't teach seasonals how to do everything related to the job right away. They are there to help out for the holidays, and if they stay on after that, then they are shown how to do other aspects of the job. Seasonals are there mostly to zone, push reshop, help guests, and provide backup to the front end. YMMV.

Back