Archived seasonal retained

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store they said they wouldnt know until early January wether we get retained or not why would that be

If you knew you weren't being retained, what would stop you from walking out before Christmas?
One yr they told some of our less-than-stellar seasonals that they weren't being retained 2 weeks before their end date. Some gave away their remaining shifts; some called & said they wouldn't be coming back; some simply stopped showing up; a couple left during break & never came back.

By january, revenue starts to slow and we are only months away from the end of the fiscal year. Aka payroll becomes very thin. The stl and HR will go over what the store can afford. I've seen half of hires stay and I've seen all of them go. It just depends on the economy and also the quality of the team member. January is like budget crunch time.

They kept several seasonals last year. They can't keep everyone or else the hours would suck. But if you excel, say yes to everything, come in if asked..etc
.. you have a great chance of staying. At our store, everyone talks. If we think you're good, have potential or will be a good team player, well put in a good word. So if in doubt, speak to your TL on how you can improve and how you'd like to stay.

It will be hard for us, we actually have probably the best seasonal crop I have seen so far... surprisingly..

I have seen Team Members told we don't need them, then something happens, and then we have kept them, talk about awkward.

Every year we keep all of ours....though my ETL denied that we kept more than a couple last year. This year they say most will be seasonal and any that are kept will be very few and far between. Part of it is that most areas didn't need extra help outside the holiday season. And the other part of it is that even through the billions of interviews they did, the pickings were slim. Very slim.

We always used seasonals as a chance to weed out the slackers.
We'd look at the TMs who had perennial problems with attendance, punctuality, work ethic, etc.
They'd see their hrs plummet while the seasonal rockstars got more.

They kept several seasonals last year. They can't keep everyone or else the hours would suck. But if you excel, say yes to everything, come in if asked..etc
.. you have a great chance of staying. At our store, everyone talks. If we think you're good, have potential or will be a good team player, well put in a good word. So if in doubt, speak to your TL on how you can improve and how you'd like to stay.
How bad does it look if they ask you to stay late and you say no? I've stayed to 7-8am every night that I could but some days it just wasn't possible due to having school. I also went from getting only 2-3 days a week to having 9 days in a row.
Also should I be trying to impress the TL that hired me or the one listed as ETL on my schedule that I got during orientation?

How bad does it look if they ask you to stay late and you say no? I've stayed to 7-8am every night that I could but some days it just wasn't possible due to having school. I also went from getting only 2-3 days a week to having 9 days in a row.
Also should I be trying to impress the TL that hired me or the one listed as ETL on my schedule that I got during orientation?

1) They are usually pretty understanding about school.

2) Both.

1) They are usually pretty understanding about school.

2) Both.
1) Good that's what I thought. Usually if I say no I'll remind them again why I can't and offer to come in or stay late.

2.) The TL likely has no direct say in who stays, the ETL does, but the ETL may heavily base that decision on what the TL says to them.

When you have a good explanation, they don't hold it against you. If you say no all the time because you have social plans or don't want to, it'll work against you. Having a great attitude is probably the best quality you can possess. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm having trouble convincing people to apply for the redcard even though I give all the benefits & options that go along with it. How much is that gonna screw me when it comes to being looked at for permanent hire? It's my second week and I've had 1 each week. Speed has been in the middle 80s

I doubt it will be an issue. I've seen many cashiers that didn't get a redcard for their first month or so. As long as they don't see you neglecting to ask they are very unlikely to make an issue out of conversion #'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back