Archived Seasonal Schedule Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a seasonal TM and a student. I often get a few days in the week where I am not scheduled, even though I have availability. I have been called a few times on these days off by team leads asking me if I can come in (or would like to come in) for a shift. While my availability says I'm available, I often make personal plans in advance (including school-related events) on the days that I am not scheduled for. These are my questions: As a seasonal team member, am I expected to come in on the days I am not scheduled for? Do I get penalized or looked down upon if I say I already made plans and cannot come in for these last-minute shifts? Will I be denied a permanent position when my 90 days is up because I have said no to these shift offers? I fully understand that they are calling me in because other team members called out or the store is busier than expected, but if I have already made plans on the only days they scheduled me off, does it make me a crappy employee to say no?

@BoxCutter Thank you for letting me know! And yes you're right, that makes sense. I'm very respectful and I do my job well when I'm there, but I'm not planning on working past seasonal, so I guess I'm okay then haha

I can call 40 different TMs to see if any want more hours. I’ll start with the ones already scheduled to see who will come in early or stay late before I call the ones with a day off to see if they’re willing to give up their day off and work/life balance.

Of the 40 calls only 2 TMs will answer, but both will say no. 5 will go to voicemail that hasn’t been set up. 3 will go to a full voicemail At least 1 will have a non-working phone number. And zero will call me back.

So while you don’t have to go in, and realize most TMs don’t, at least answering and saying no is just nice for whoever is making the calls. If you do want to pick up hours just let HR know. If we call and you say no it’s totally fine, we’ll call again next time. But like @BoxCutter said we do know who picks up extra hours and who refuses. When TLs come to us asking we’ll be honest and let them know if someone is going above and beyond or doing just exactly what is asked of them.

Your time off is absolutely yours and you should enjoy it! Do not ever feel obligated to pick up hours if you already have plans. Don’t let anyone guilt trip you, if we can do it once we’ll do it every time lol. But if you are free why not earn a better paycheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back