Archived Seasonal Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello: I am sort of the opposite of most Target folks I met working there. I have a couple degrees and retired from a professional career a few years ago. I get bored in the winter and have taken part time work each year during the cold days. This year Target in central New York was my victim. I breezed through the interview, and was offered the job on the spot (seasonal).

The training was minimal, watched one video, took a few general knowledge tests, no problems. I was out on the hardlines floor the first day, had a ball. I love helping people and I found the pace fun. I then worked a day in toys, lots of crowds, cute kids, again very enjoyable. Next day on to seasonal and I have spent most of my time in that area for the past month and a half.

The store manager is very very young, I am over 50 and have worked for Fortune 50 companies all my life. I like the store manager, seems like a cool dude. I am not up on the structure at Target, but there were two LOD's who seemed to be the top dogs and actually ran the place. The loss prevention guy seemed to think he was cock of the roost too, and the HR people were part of the inner circle.

Things went down hill the second week when the lead LOD started calling on the radio to see if I would return his call. This continued over a two week period, he had nothing to say he just wanted to know my location or what I was doing. Then of course one time my radio was switched to channel 2 (probably by leaning on a shelf) and this LOD gets in my face about missing a service call. My bad, but not intentional. A few days later, the LOD for seasonal shows up one night, I never met the guy before though I have been there 2 weeks. He doesn't introduce himself, cuts off my conversation with a guest and starts barking orders at me. I continued with the guest and he interrupted that we didn't carry what the guest wanted. I calmly walked over to the guest and showed them two choices of the item this LOD moron said we didn't carry (in his department).

The security manager. Young guy, claims to know kung fu or some sh^t, was almost a cop in our city, oh and when the hottie college girls are in the break room he is a UFC fighter (checked with my detective relative - never heard of him). He is standing in my department and some kids come through riding the electric cart for disabled. This gang has been doing laps with different drivers for two hours. I remark that the "idiodic" behavior has been going on all morning. Mr Security launches into a lecture on guest relations for 15 minutes. A few nights later, four college age kids come into the back of the store, they proceed to break merchandise, scream obscenities, including performing oral sex back by the christmas trees. They are stoned out of their minds and I got to re-shop back there. I call the LOD after going halfway across the store and forget to use the code word for security. I just said he should have Mr. Security wander over there. My bad for not using code word, but no one is back there and a few customers left due to the show going on.

After the kids leave Mr. Ku-Fu starts to lecture me. He states that they heard the call to security (bald face lie - no radios over there) then he says the kids accuse him of be prejudice because they look different (tatoos?). Our HR lady is so far up the managers ass you can see her nose coming out this mouth. I take it all in stride.

Today I get the call to the office, letter thanking me for seasonal help, done in a week. No problem I don't have to work.

What is funny is that I work when I go to the store, I enjoy the physical labor (after jetting for 30 years). I listen to people farting on the radios, making zoo noises (my favorites). Guys in electronics tossing a football across the store. Not word from management about football in the aisles.
which I think is hysterical.

I was told that target was geared to younger crowd. It definitely is NOT focused on guests, the store I am in is run by two grocery store managers. The cans are all straight on the shelves at P-Fresh but customers looking for other merchandise might as well go over to Walmart.
The POG plan, facing, and reshop, took presidence over sales to customers and service.

I found Target employees to be really nice people, fun, who wanted to help customers, but were blocked by less than customer centric activities they are required to perform. Management is up in a tower, having secret meetings about who is doing what, making big plans for the next days push.

Well it is over and I have to say I will miss many people there. I only work winters, so I will find something else to do. Peace to All.

Sounds like a poorly run store. You should of been with a trainer & a learning plan in the first 2 weeks. How was sales? That can affect payroll hours too.
The code word for security/ap is hardlines 4 in most stores.

Last edited:
If you said that at my store, no one would have a clue what that meant. For security purposes, I won't bother typing ours.

Good rant!

Not picking at you or anything but why do people often mention how they "worked at Fortune 500 companies?" I always get the impression that it's a brag even though Target is a Fortune 500 company as well!

Edit- I see you said Fortune 50 not 500. Target is still top 50 along with Wally and McDonald's.

Last edited:
Target is pretty good about wasting or driving talent out. A poorly run store used to be a rare thing now it is just common. It used to be a good company to work for and things like guest service were more than just a buzz word. Now Target is on the path to being a more expensive Walmart. It is kind of sad.

So they were calling you on the walkie to make sure you were there or at least responding, we all do it.
Why didn't you tell the kids to stop?
Farting into the walkie, playing catch in the aisle, yeah that store is ****.

I'd like to hear the story from the other side.

So let me get this straight.... you have multiple degrees and years of professional experience at Fortune 50 companies.... (that would be IBM, AT&T, General Electric, etc.)..... yet you applied to be a seasonal TM at Target making $7.50/hour and are upset when you were let go at the end of the seasonal period? If you truly had "multiple degrees" (FYI - most people consider one degree to be impressive... multiple would be astounding) and years of experience at huge corporations.... you could easily walk into damn near ANY retail store and secure a job as at least an assistant manager just by walking in the door.... or at least a NON-seasonal TM job. Yet you chose seasonal TM? Riigghhttttt......

Based on all of the grammar and spelling errors, I am willing to bet the only degrees you have are from University of Phoenix or BuyAdegree.com

"I listen to people farting on the radios, making zoo noises (my favorites). "

Yeaaaa....... I'm sure you have a PhD in Physics.

Good rant!

Not picking at you or anything but why do people often mention how they "worked at Fortune 500 companies?" I always get the impression that it's a brag even though Target is a Fortune 500 company as well!

Edit- I see you said Fortune 50 not 500. Target is still top 50 along with Wally and McDonald's.

Ever notice how many TMs working cart attendant/flow/etc say that have a college degree? It's kind of like how in jail everyone tells you they are innocent......

OK, that one made me spit my coffee....
Also, OP, could you dial the font down a little? We're not blind ya know....

Yeah, there are a couple of people like that at my place too...but they don't start off with, "hi, I have more degrees than you, and can do something with my life if I so choose."

I work with a couple of people who are retired and are at Target for something to do. Don't be hatin...

The problem is this guy isn't just some retired person who "wanted something to do".

His attitude is basically "I have a sh** ton of degrees, tons of professional experience, and I can't understand how these people who I am obviously better than in every way would DARE terminate me!".

My only question is - (assuming he has multiple degrees, doubt he even has one....) - why in the hell would you apply for the job in the first place? If you honestly believe that you are so damn overqualified for the job with your "multiple degrees" and "professional experience", then WTF are you applying for a job that any 16 year old high school drop out could get?

Furthermore, why are you surprised about the job? It is it what it is dude. You applied for a minimum wage part time seasonal job, and you are surprised you had to put up with some BS and sh** from the general public? Really??? What did you think, you were going to be practicing law or working on the cure for cancer?

This is as stupid as a medical doctor applying to be a cook at Burger King and then complaining that the job isn't good enough for him. Well duh.

His attitude of "I'm better than everyone in this store, yet for some reason half my coworkers are drop outs" is probably the real reason his store sh** canned him.

My advice to the OP - if you apply for a job that requires no education and experience, don't go in to the job expecting it to be like a job that requires experience and a degree. The fact you (supposedly) have multiple degrees and lots of experience doesn't change the fact you applied for a part time minimum wage job and you are going to have to put up with the general public and other issues that go along with that kind of job. Furthermore, don't apply for a job that you are obviously overqualified for and then go around acting like you have been treated unfairly because people don't show you the kind of revereance you feel you deserve. Next time, apply for a job that requires a degree and experience if that is what you feel you are qualified for.

I have a cart attendant with a degree in aerospace engineering - aka he's a rocket scientist - but finding work doing that in my part of the country is hard. Plus, he's a little on the autistic side, but that doesn't mean anything. He does a great job and is our spill station/supply captain. He knows how much is in each spill station, knows when to refill them, and is extremely quick with the cart mover.

Having degrees doesn't mean ****. I used to have a GSTL with a 4 year degree from some ****ty little university. Her major? Women's studies with a minor in spanish. She was a terrible boss, let alone the fact that nobody respected her as a person.

My other GSTL? No degree, was a cashier. Moved up to service desk, then promoted to GSTL after two years. Respected her team, they respected her. Dealt with issues in a professional and everyone loves her.

Degrees don't mean jack **** at Target.

I have a cart attendant with a degree in aerospace engineering - aka he's a rocket scientist - but finding work doing that in my part of the country is hard. Plus, he's a little on the autistic side, but that doesn't mean anything. He does a great job and is our spill station/supply captain. He knows how much is in each spill station, knows when to refill them, and is extremely quick with the cart mover.

Having degrees doesn't mean ****. I used to have a GSTL with a 4 year degree from some ****ty little university. Her major? Women's studies with a minor in spanish. She was a terrible boss, let alone the fact that nobody respected her as a person.

My other GSTL? No degree, was a cashier. Moved up to service desk, then promoted to GSTL after two years. Respected her team, they respected her. Dealt with issues in a professional and everyone loves her.

Degrees don't mean jack **** at Target.

What world are you living on? Degrees mean everything at Target. Even more so than other employers.

Target is one of the *only* corporations in America that strictly forbids people from entering management without a degree. (other employers will allow it based on merit or experience)

The fact is, if you don't have a degree, you can not go anywhere with Target once you hit TL level. Even Sr TL level strongly prefers a degree.

I don't like it personally, and I think it is bogus. But whether or not we like it doesn't matter. The fact is, a degree is an absolute requirement to move up at Target beyond TL/SrTL level. You can have 30 years experience as a high level manager at IBM with no degree, but come to Target with no degree and your 30 years experience asking to be an ETL and they will laugh you out of the store. On the other hand, come to Target never having worked a day in your life with a degree? Congrats, you are the new ETL-HL!

You know the biggest mistake your crap GSTL with a 4 year degree made was? Not applying for ETL on day one. She would have gotten it instantly, and the GSTL that was great with no degree would have been laughed at. Bi** about it all you want, but that is the reality of Target.

Alway's two sides of a story...........

He is correct. We need to wait for the op to answer certain questions, so that we can give a level of understanding from both sides.
My definition of poorly run store, is based on my store. My stl micro manages when they are off or driving in. they called the store at least 3 times a day telling the Lod or etl that this needs to happen. Which was done already by the Lod. Then watch my dtl pushing clearance from my back room with my stl chasing them...
i am sorry I had offended anyone.

The problem is this guy isn't just some retired person who "wanted something to do".

His attitude is basically "I have a sh** ton of degrees, tons of professional experience, and I can't understand how these people who I am obviously better than in every way would DARE terminate me!".

My only question is - (assuming he has multiple degrees, doubt he even has one....) - why in the hell would you apply for the job in the first place? If you honestly believe that you are so damn overqualified for the job with your "multiple degrees" and "professional experience", then WTF are you applying for a job that any 16 year old high school drop out could get?

Furthermore, why are you surprised about the job? It is it what it is dude. You applied for a minimum wage part time seasonal job, and you are surprised you had to put up with some BS and sh** from the general public? Really??? What did you think, you were going to be practicing law or working on the cure for cancer?

This is as stupid as a medical doctor applying to be a cook at Burger King and then complaining that the job isn't good enough for him. Well duh.

His attitude of "I'm better than everyone in this store, yet for some reason half my coworkers are drop outs" is probably the real reason his store sh** canned him.

My advice to the OP - if you apply for a job that requires no education and experience, don't go in to the job expecting it to be like a job that requires experience and a degree. The fact you (supposedly) have multiple degrees and lots of experience doesn't change the fact you applied for a part time minimum wage job and you are going to have to put up with the general public and other issues that go along with that kind of job. Furthermore, don't apply for a job that you are obviously overqualified for and then go around acting like you have been treated unfairly because people don't show you the kind of revereance you feel you deserve. Next time, apply for a job that requires a degree and experience if that is what you feel you are qualified for.

The fact that you don't have a college degree means your opinion on this subject pretty much useless, no matter how obnoxiously you state it. Have you ever heard the statistics for college graduates finding jobs right after graduation? They aren't great. Stop throwing a fit every time someone mentions a degree. They aren't hard to get (they're just expensive), and they mean next to nothing in many fields. This guy mentioned he got bored and got a seasonal job and he didn't give a s*** when he was let go. Where are you getting that he is mad that his employment ended? He is complaining because he has a bunch of idiots telling him what to do. You know, like the same thing we all complain about each and every day. Calm down. He was not asking for our advice, he was not asking for our sympathy. We have no reason to know the rest of the story. He was just voicing the same complaint we all do about the same fresh-out-of-college LODs that we all loathe. Let it go.

Good point - I worked at at a giant multi-national (you all would know the name) that is always rated top "bla, bla. bla." to work for, benefits, single mothers, time off. I flew around in private jets, and did multi-million dollar deals. True McDonalds and Target are Fortune 50, but I got paid six figues and stock. Not knocking retail, just a different job. I still loved working at Target.

Good rant!

Or when you bought Apple at $28 a share along with Google and some others, then you can retire when you are in mid forties like I did. Sorry, I planned my life and went to school. But retirement is boring and retail can be fun. Nice to have options, I will be in Costa Rica for a month, but don't be too bitter.

So let me get this straight.... you have multiple degrees and years of professional experience at Fortune 50 companies.... (that would be IBM, AT&T, General Electric, etc.)..... yet you applied to be a seasonal TM at Target making $7.50/hour and are upset when you were let go at the end of the seasonal period? If you truly had "multiple degrees" (FYI - most people consider one degree to be impressive... multiple would be astounding) and years of experience at huge corporations.... you could easily walk into damn near ANY retail store and secure a job as at least an assistant manager just by walking in the door.... or at least a NON-seasonal TM job. Yet you chose seasonal TM? Riigghhttttt......

Based on all of the grammar and spelling errors, I am willing to bet the only degrees you have are from University of Phoenix or BuyAdegree.com

"I listen to people farting on the radios, making zoo noises (my favorites). "

Yeaaaa....... I'm sure you have a PhD in Physics.

Uhhhhh...... sorry I bought Apple at $28, along with a start up called Google back in the early 1990's. Stayed in school, have three degrees, retired at 46. Spelling is correct, grammer is lax. I will be in Costa Rica for the New Year, make sure you sell your quota of "Red Cards" sailor.

Guys, relax.

The OP is over 50, and at this point he might have already had a very successful career. We have a guy at our store in his late 40s or 50s who is a stay at home dad, and he doesn't work for the money.. Very pleasant fellow.

If the OPs store is like mine, this kind of move doesn't surprise me... Seems like anyone talented who doesn't adhere to the Target Glee Code gets shunted aside.. Basically you have to be Target's ***** to get any kind of respect. Successful free thinking people are a threat to a lot of the incompetent managers at Target because it makes them look bad!

@ OP:
If the store you worked at was such a he11hole, you have nothing to lose calling the integrity hotline.
Next time, instead of doing seasonal work for 'fun' (possibly displacing someone who needs the work more than you), why not make a bigger impact by mentoring or volunteering?
Beats taking part in a pissing contest on an employee blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back