Archived Seasonal Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you don't have a college degree means your opinion on this subject pretty much useless, no matter how obnoxiously you state it. Have you ever heard the statistics for college graduates finding jobs right after graduation? They aren't great. Stop throwing a fit every time someone mentions a degree. They aren't hard to get (they're just expensive), and they mean next to nothing in many fields. This guy mentioned he got bored and got a seasonal job and he didn't give a s*** when he was let go. Where are you getting that he is mad that his employment ended? He is complaining because he has a bunch of idiots telling him what to do. You know, like the same thing we all complain about each and every day. Calm down. He was not asking for our advice, he was not asking for our sympathy. We have no reason to know the rest of the story. He was just voicing the same complaint we all do about the same fresh-out-of-college LODs that we all loathe. Let it go.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? I'm not the one bragging about degrees. If degrees are so worthless and easy to get, then tell the OP. He is the one bi**ing about how great he is because he has multiple degrees.

Degrees help, but if you have an impressive resumé with related experience, etc. they aren't always necessary.

@StateOfTarget:
I've read Seasonal Monkey's post twice and I don't see what got your knickers in such a twist. He states clearly that he loved working at Target and enjoyed the other TM's. His misgivings seemed to be centered around the LOD's and their management style, possibly due to their youth and inexperience. Sounds like it was a poorly managed store - what a shocker for Spot.

I'm new to this forum, but I notice that the mention of a college degree seems to get people all hot and bothered for some reason. I have a B.F.A, work for Spot, but am not an ETL.

We have a number of older folks working for us who are adding on to their retirement and filling in their time.
Some of them have had pretty impressive lives and tend to chuckle at the BS dished out by the ETLs or get seriously annoyed when they are talked down to, so I understand where where SM is coming from.
Most of them are a bit less, how can I put this delicately, overweening but they all seem to have much the same perspective as he does.
However it sounds like the store he got stuck in was the ass-end result of everything that is wrong with Spots management hiring practices.
If you hire a certain type straight out of business college and they hire/promote people who look and think like they do, if you don't watch out you get a frat house for a store.

Last edited:
@StateOfTarget:
I've read Seasonal Monkey's post twice and I don't see what got your knickers in such a twist. He states clearly that he loved working at Target and enjoyed the other TM's. His misgivings seemed to be centered around the LOD's and their management style, possibly due to their youth and inexperience. Sounds like it was a poorly managed store - what a shocker for Spot.

I'm new to this forum, but I notice that the mention of a college degree seems to get people all hot and bothered for some reason. I have a B.F.A, work for Spot, but am not an ETL.

Nope, it was not an innocent comment. The only point of saying "I have multiple degrees" is to waive it in peoples face as a way of saying "looking how great I am compared to you with no degree".

There was absolutely no other purpose of he had several degrees other than to make the point that he is "better" than those without.

And just so you know - people on this forum get "hot and bothered" when someone waves a degree in front of your face because they have to deal with grossly incompetent, lazy, entitled, anti-social, and smug 21 year old ETLs who are under the impression they were hired because of how smart and capable they are rather than how young and attractive they look (when's the last time you saw an unattractive ETL?) who think they are gods as they command the store via walkie-talkie from their base camp at their table in food ave. This is going on while hard working TMs/TLs who could run circles around those ETLs bust their ass daily for years yet are constantly passed over for promotion in favor of the aforementioned ETLs simply because mom and dad didn't pay for them to get drunk, party, and pull C's and D's for 4 years in college while they got their degree in Art History & Music Appreciation.

Last edited:
Nope, it was not an innocent comment. The only point of saying "I have multiple degrees" is to waive it in peoples face as a way of saying "looking how great I am compared to you with no degree".

There was absolutely no other purpose of he had several degrees other than to make the point that he is "better" than those without.

And just so you know - people on this forum get "hot and bothered" when someone waves a degree in front of your face because they have to deal with grossly incompetent, lazy, entitled, anti-social, and smug 21 year old ETLs who are under the impression they were hired because of how smart and capable they are rather than how young and attractive they look (when's the last time you saw an unattractive ETL?) who think they are gods as they command the store via walkie-talkie from their base camp at their table in food ave. This is going on while hard working TMs/TLs who could run circles around those ETLs bust their ass daily for years yet are constantly passed over for promotion in favor of the aforementioned ETLs simply because mom and dad didn't pay for them to get drunk, party, and pull C's and D's for 4 years in college while they got their degree in Art History & Music Appreciation.

This right here is the god damn plain and simple truth.

In fact, it's so spot on it deserves a double post reply.

Good rant!

Not picking at you or anything but why do people often mention how they "worked at Fortune 500 companies?" I always get the impression that it's a brag even though Target is a Fortune 500 company as well!

Edit- I see you said Fortune 50 not 500. Target is still top 50 along with Wally and McDonald's.

Actually working for a fortune 500 company, with a desk job and a salary, is much different than working a minimum wage retail job.

Ever notice how many TMs working cart attendant/flow/etc say that have a college degree? It's kind of like how in jail everyone tells you they are innocent......

It's hard to believe that people working such low level jobs do have college degrees, but many do and work at Target while trying to find something in their field. There are several team members in my store, including myself working in non-management positions with college degrees. We are the ones who typically don't stay longer than a year and are waiting for something better and fulfilling.

Meh. I'm not offended. Old retired people get bored and get jobs all the time. All the Walmart greeters around here are old, bored people whose grandkids don't visit lol.

He didn't seem upset about being let go. He says he works seasonal jobs every winter.

We have cart attendants with degrees though. They're young. Idk what unemployment rates are like where you guys are, but it's not surprising that people with degrees are working retail in my state. Having a degree isn't a magical ticket to a great paying job anymore.

Sir I am offended that you think those kids were stoned . I would never do such a thing now that I'm working for spot but when I was high walking into a Target .All I was worried about is where the double stuffed oreos were and the toll house cookie dough . So i could bake the Oreos in the cookie dough and makes these pieces of art

180441_10150102986154337_675624336_5849376_8081046_n.jpg

and watch some sponge bob .

Also they performed oral sex by the Christmas tree ? Normally I have to pay a lot of money to sit in a small booth for that kind of show .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back