Archived Seasonal TM - A Novel & Some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys & gals, I'm a guy who is fairly new to Spot (been working there for nearly 2 months). When I had my interviews and got hired on for seasonal, I did a LOT of research on Target, the terms, what the job(s) entailed, and basically what to expect (both good and bad). Anyway, fast forward through training, Black Friday, Christmas, and now the after sales......I'm left with a few questions. I know when I was offered the job, it was seasonal with the condition that if I was interested or if they had any openings and based on seasonal evaluations, I may be offered something beyond seasonal.

I've been averaging 4 shifts a week for nearly 2 months now and I've picked up a shift or two when I could, as well as stayed later when needed on a couple of days. I've always been there when needed, for the most part, and I'm ALWAYS on time and never late. I'm a HL sales floor TM who is basically global (and then some). I've helped in nearly every area, except for backroom, GS, and grocery (though I've helped GS hold down some cashier spots until others could take over for me to continue my pulls and strays, I'm always one of the first up for Guest First, and I've helped zone a bit in grocery). I'm usually ALL OVER the store and on some days, I've helped print and replace any missing price labels, I've helped set up numerous Clearance aisles with my ETLs, as well as flipping end caps and shifting product from one area to another to free up space for new product. I do the usual HL-TM job requirements, such as answering call buttons, taking calls in various departments, and helping pull product from the backroom to carry out for a guest. They've trained me on quite a bit of different things and I've even been trained in SL and know the shoes VERY well. lol

I guess what I'm getting at is I've been termed "global" by one of the SL ladies I've worked with. She told me it's a great thing to be global and know different areas of the store and have the ability to jump in and help out where needed.

I had my interviews in late October, then had orientation on November 9th. During the interviews, the ETL-AP and another ETL interviewed me and were impressed with my previous work experience (worked at a condo in a tourist area, dealing with everything from inspections to phones, computers, guests, handling money, etc.--very similar to some of the things needed on a job such as what Spot offers). Anyway, they interviewed me and they both went great, then someone from HR stepped in with me and had me sign the paperwork and offered me the seasonal job. Took the drug test and everything went great. I officially started training about 2 weeks later, not long before Black Friday. By then, I basically knew most of what was needed of me and if I ever hit a snag, I can always count on my ETL or a fellow TM to help me out (everyone is great at my store). Things have been everything from great to crazy, depending on the influx of guests and number of questions asked. I still managed to go through it all with a smile and still enjoyed my job. I made it through Black Friday, then prepared for Christmas. I worked hard, helping keep seasonal up and running, along with many other areas of the store. I even worked until close on Christmas Eve and we rocked it and kept things running smooth. I really like the entire Team at my store, the way things are run, the ETLs I work with, and how work actually seems fun.

Here's where the questions begin........I know based on my paperwork I signed that my seasonal job is to end in January (not sure if it would end on the 9th, but I believe that's what HR mentioned to me while signging it, since I started on November 9th). I told her then that I would be interested in staying on if any positions become available. She told me that as of then, they only had seasonal, but usually people come and go around this time of year, so something may come up and it would be evaluated. Since it's getting close, I'm starting to worry about staying on. I would love to, but I'm not sure how they go about showing interest in keeping you on beyond seasonal. Would someone come and talk to me or should I talk to someone about it? I did catch the ETL-HR in TMSC and asked her I should talk to about staying on beyond seasonal. She told me that they were evaluating seasonal employees at this time and that they would let us know. Does that mean I will only hear something if they decided to keep me on? I know that most have mentioned that schedules this week have everyone's hours cut (mine included), but I'm still on the schedule and have 2 shifts this week (8 hours each). Is this a good sign? I haven't heard anything from anyone about being kept on beyond seasonal. I just keep checking the schedule, writing down my shifts, and showing up to help. I know my ETL has told me numerous times that she really likes me because of my great attitude and hard work. I guess I'm just hoping for the best, but kind of expecting the worst, since I haven't heard anything from anyone about it yet. Another good thing is a lot of the regular ETLs, GSTL, our ETL-AP, and our main manager/boss (not sure what the correct term is for him--we just all call each other by name while on the floor) all know me by name and regularly call on me to help out. I'd like to think I'm working hard, doing a great job, and helping them when needed, so any words of advice or any ideas on whether they might keep me on past seasonal employment?

Thanks in advance and it's good to finally post here and meet you all.....and I apologize for the novel. lol (just wanted to share a bit of who I am and how much I've put into this new job that I've found out I enjoy a lot.

Last edited:
An ETL should talk to you if they are asking you to stay on, or if they do not have any openings available, letting you know 2 weeks in advance when you last day should be.
If they don't have any openings, don't take it personally. Thanks from me for all your hard work - we truly appreciate all your hard work!

An ETL should talk to you if they are asking you to stay on, or if they do not have any openings available, letting you know 2 weeks in advance when you last day should be.
If they don't have any openings, don't take it personally. Thanks from me for all your hard work - we truly appreciate all your hard work!

The only advice I can give you, if you haven't done so already, is make sure every single one of your leaders knows you want to stay. All of your SFTLs plus any other TLs you have ever worked with should know, as well as all the ETLs/the STL. I've seen numerous team members just slip through the cracks b/c someone else had been more vocal. If you told everyone at the beginning of the season, tell them again, just to make sure the remember. Don't be annoying about it though :) Once should be enough at this time of the season. It sounds like you already stand out though. Keep up the good work and hopefully you'll get a spot. Good luck.

From a former seasonal hire, this is also the time when they look to weed out low performers (those with freq call-outs, NCNS, poor work ethic, etc) & replace them with a shining star from the seasonal crop. We've already job-offered several seasonal hires in anticipation of coaching some deadwood out the door.

Thank you all for your help on this. I wasn't sure how the process was supposed to be for someone who came on as seasonal, so I'm still crossing my fingers and waiting for some good news (hopefully this week). I'll be sure to let them all know I'm interested. Some already knew and said they'd mention it for me also.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help. :)

I'll just echo what everyone else said...

You sound like a great TM, one I'd love to have on my team, so if your story is accurate, I don't doubt you'll get kept on. Now that being said, make sure to put a bug in every leaders ear, even if they have nothing to do with you (i.e. Food Ave TL, ETL-LOG). This is a time of year where cutting dead weight is done en masse, so open positions will be there and I suspect (though obviously can't guarantee) you'll get one.

Thank you very much for the kind words (and for the helpful info). It's pretty accurate.....basically, I'm all over the store helping guests, other TMs, GSTL, and our ETLs/LODs with pretty much any and everything. I have no issues helping out where needed and I actually enjoy being all over because it not only changes things up and is a nice change of pace from time to time, but it also helps out those areas that are needing it at varying times throughout the day/night.

I did forget a couple of things though. I had a couple of fellow TMs tell me privately that myself and one other seasonal hire were the top two of the new crop and that they'd heard I was great at zoning, hitting pulls, and keeping up with strays (not just for my area, but all areas). I heard this within my first two weeks of work, so I've just kept working hard, learning new things, and giving it my all. Hopefully it's good enough to get an offer or at least remain on everyone's minds when something does open up, if nothing is available at the moment. And I also had our ETL-HR introduce me to someone and mentioned that I'm one of the seasonal TMs and that I'm all over and doing a great job. She also mentioned that most seasonal hires come in and are intimidated by not only the amount of work, but the time of year, but she said I wasn't and just jumped right in and do my thing. I took that as a huge compliment and a good sign. This was mentioned during the same time I questioned her as to who I needed to talk to in order to possibly stay on beyond seasonal.

Last edited:
Thanks! Always do and will continue to do so. :)

Well, I talked to my ETL today and she told me that they were planning some meetings to evaluate those they may want to keep from seasonal, but she told me to let another ETL and STL know. I was asked to stay an extra hour to help out due to call outs, so I called up the STL on my walkie and met up with him to see what he wanted me to help out with for my last hour (to help out the closing team in any way I could--already caught up on pulls and strays). He asked me to work my magic in toys and try to zone as much as I could (they've told me I zone very well). I told him I'd hit it and do my best, then proceeded to mention to him that I'm interested in staying on beyond seasonal and just wanted to let him know in case they have any openings or are interested in keeping me.

He got this look on his face that I can't even begin to explain (I was literally already thinking the worst), then he leaned toward me and said in a low voice "we're keeping you" and told me that they were getting paperwork ready and I should be doing that within the next few days or so. I thanked him for everything and headed off for toys. I'm excited! It literally made my day, but I'm still not getting my hopes up until I see that paperwork in front of me. lol

Good to hear.
Sounds like you've made all the right moves and will be a real asset.

Thanks again for all the help and tips. When I got to work on New Year's Eve (closing shift), the LOD hit me up and she asked me if I had heard the official word on my seasonal status. I told her yes and she and the other ETLs in TMSC welcomed me on as a regular SF-TM! She printed out a letter that is usually given by our ETL-HR (who was off that day/night) and she read the good stuff and I told her YES. I'm excited! She told me she'd email our ETL-HR and let her know, but to let her know once I come back in for my next shift. I've now heard from other SF-TMs and ETLs that they're glad they kept me on. One of our front end ladies (check lanes/GS) told me that they had a meeting and discussed who to keep from seasonal and when it got to me, she told them that I'm great and always more than willing to help out on guest first and always work hard hitting pulls, strays, and more. Apparently, it was unanimous and that honestly made me feel good about the hard work I do. I personally don't need a Great Team card (though I do get some of those at times), I just enjoy the fact that my work is appreciated (just as I appreciate the hard work the rest of our team does and when they help me out when needed).

Looking forward to getting in the groove and learning all I can about my job. Thanks again, everyone!

Thanks again for all the help and tips. When I got to work on New Year's Eve (closing shift), the LOD hit me up and she asked me if I had heard the official word on my seasonal status. I told her yes and she and the other ETLs in TMSC welcomed me on as a regular SF-TM! She printed out a letter that is usually given by our ETL-HR (who was off that day/night) and she read the good stuff and I told her YES. I'm excited! She told me she'd email our ETL-HR and let her know, but to let her know once I come back in for my next shift. I've now heard from other SF-TMs and ETLs that they're glad they kept me on. One of our front end ladies (check lanes/GS) told me that they had a meeting and discussed who to keep from seasonal and when it got to me, she told them that I'm great and always more than willing to help out on guest first and always work hard hitting pulls, strays, and more. Apparently, it was unanimous and that honestly made me feel good about the hard work I do. I personally don't need a Great Team card (though I do get some of those at times), I just enjoy the fact that my work is appreciated (just as I appreciate the hard work the rest of our team does and when they help me out when needed).

Looking forward to getting in the groove and learning all I can about my job. Thanks again, everyone!

Could you maybe clone yourself and send one of you to my store?! LOL

You said you started November 9th, so that means its only been 60 days. You get all of november, all of december, all of january and untill february 9th so you probably wont find out for a while. I got my seasonal position as cashier around october 16th or so, so i should be finding out soon. I really want to stay and i know a few people have already been talked to about it, but i havent yet and expect to any day now. i feel like i did good and hope they'll give me a position too i could really use the money.

You said you started November 9th, so that means its only been 60 days. You get all of november, all of december, all of january and untill february 9th so you probably wont find out for a while. I got my seasonal position as cashier around october 16th or so, so i should be finding out soon. I really want to stay and i know a few people have already been talked to about it, but i havent yet and expect to any day now. i feel like i did good and hope they'll give me a position too i could really use the money.
did you fill out a learning plan? feedback from your tl? if not, you maybe on the short list.

did you fill out a learning plan? feedback from your tl? if not, you maybe on the short list.

My learning plan was filled out and every once in a while i get my scores from the GSTL, i think i have always been green whenever they tell me. I dont know if i've done that good on redcards, but i know i sold over 10 at least in my 3 months, probably close to 20 but im not too sure, and i dont know if thats good.

I havent been talked to one way or another, if they offer me a spot i will take it, or if not i will start looking for another job i suppose.

if you are not on the schedule for next 3 weeks, you are done & not been spoken to, not a good thing.

I am on all of the schedules they are showing for the rest of this week, next week, and the week after. And i am getting more hours then usual. I dont think they are just not goign to tell me they just havent yet lol.

I am also going to echo everyone else. Mention your wanting to stay to all the ETL's and TL's...Partner with your TL and ask for feedback. They love this and it will show your eagerness to improve your development. I agree with the TM above who wishes you were a part of their team. Just keep doing what your doing, YES! AVOID rumors; good or bad, and always work with a sense of urgency. Keep in mind not only do guest's come first at spot, when responding on the walkie remember "can I help you fin d something" aka 'CIHYFS'. Again, you seem like your doing all the right things. We already had our meeting for the TM's we are going to keep for the front, all 4 of them I recommended. I am sooooooo happy. Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back