Archived Seasonals leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you old timers deal w losing new friends/trusted coworkers every year?? Some of these seasonal people I have come to rely on at work to get things done and we work well as a team together. Some I have gotten to know their lives outside of Target. I consider some of them friends. It’s hard to imagine them just not being there anymore.
So how do you deal w that every year? Just curious.

I'm front end so it's all but impossible to become emotionally attached to anyone, let alone a seasonal. There just isn't enough coverage to keep up with work demands let alone have a meaningful convo. Then throw in Target's wacky scheduling where 1 day you open, another you close and the other day or 2 you're a mid.... you may not see the same people for a week or 2 at a time.

I don't see my actual GSTL (who is responsible for writing my reviews) for weeks at a time.

So, it's hard to have any attachment to or fondness of any seasonals. With that said I do have 2 that I seem to have overlapping shifts with and am hoping they're kept on.

I do have a few that I will miss. Three or four in particular from softlines and one from SFS are actually very hardworking, responsible, and respectful of their team members (which is more than I can say about some of the permanent team members right now) and I'd trade them over some of the permanent team members in a heartbeat.

There was one girl in softlines with us who walked out yesterday a few hours after finding out they weren't keeping her permanently :rolleyes: but I wasn't going to miss her anyway.

I'm not sure I want to keep any seasonals this year... especially not the ones who've been asking for weeks when they find out stay or go...

....or the SFS ones who can't seem to re-backstock the casepack items they pull out of location in the backroom, but do place it back on the shelf, unlocated.
....or the ones who still have no idea what a dual location is and try to send items to the backroom that will easily fit on the endcaps.

I can think of one seasonal who I would definitely keep though, understands directions and is very helpful. His name I know! 😁

They told them before Christmas??
This is the same leadership that has spoken to me about my "attitude and demeanor" towards other team members on the floor and in the middle of my shift and just expects me to carry on with the rest of my shift, knowing that I have a tendency to angry cry or cry when I'm frustrated (which I hate and really try my hardest not to do at work, but come on, I'm human, and Spot is a clusterfuck shitshow from the ninth circle of hell right now).

But in all honesty, I think they were hoping something like this would happen with her, because she literally ends up adding at least an hour of work to my workload alone (overstocking, not answering backup, not zoning, etc), so I don't really have a problem with her not being there anymore. Maybe they'll offer some of her shifts to me...(probably not :confused:)

Edit: Came in today. She was here.

Last edited:
I dont get emotionally attached but the good ones who actually worked hard i try to encourage and support when they find out they arent kept. Tbh our store keeps one or two max so most get the boot.

I dont get emotionally attached but the good ones who actually worked hard i try to encourage and support when they find out they arent kept. Tbh our store keeps one or two max so most get the boot.
I usually do because we never had many and I started seasonally, but then this year we had 60 of them and most of them are morons and I'll be glad to be rid of the idiots. But I want to keep the good ones that were smart and hardworking enough to last the whole season and actually made my job easier.

I do have a few that I will miss. Three or four in particular from softlines and one from SFS are actually very hardworking, responsible, and respectful of their team members (which is more than I can say about some of the permanent team members right now) and I'd trade them over some of the permanent team members in a heartbeat.

There was one girl in softlines with us who walked out yesterday a few hours after finding out they weren't keeping her permanently :rolleyes: but I wasn't going to miss her anyway.
I also forgot about our seasonal AP guy. He's a treasure.

One of the seasonals that I trained came up to me last night very upset because she wants to stay on so badly, and heard that everyone else had received the news. I told her to talk to the ETL-HR since she was closing, and she’s staying after all! I feel like a proud mom. I remember the wait to find out the news about if I was staying on when I first started..

I don't get seasonals sent to my area as I do my specific tasks alone, so I barely even see most of them. From what I have observed, there are two who seem to be doing (or at least are trying to do) a good job. They focus on their tasks and they ask plenty of questions to make sure they're doing everything correctly. I hope those two are kept on.
The other regular TMs are complaining a lot about the seasonals working with them.

I don't understand the logic behind telling them before Christmas but maybe they are so desperate to cut payroll that this is the way they are choosing to do it?
We dont have enough hours in January to give the seasonals shifts. Out of respect, we told them before the schedule was posted so they don't find out by reading the schedule.

At my store nobody treated me like I’m seasonal . They see me equally as anyone or some are there who totally ignores me but that’s there attitude towards others too. I really like to continue here. But I don’t want the regular tms hours to suffer because of that. Let’s wait and see what they decide

I'm just as unattached to the regular idiots we hire... if it makes it better? Most of the great seasonals never intended to stay here, so it's bittersweet when you find one you like.
That being said, we had a few positions that became a bit like the "Harry Potter Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor" position, so I never took the people in them seriously. Someone called our PMT by name three months into him being there, and I'm like "who?" Now we're buds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back