Archived Senior Team Leads! Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Different stores have different needs. I actually know of a store where most of the SrTLs don't do any LOD shifts because they have enough ETLs. If you're in a low volume, it's a totally different story. 4-5 LOD shifts in a week isn't unheard of. The SrTLs are LOD shift pack mules. An ETL's going on vacation? Here SrTL, have another! STL doesn't feel like working on their normal shift? Load 'em up!

Luckily, most of our SrTLs agree that LOD shifts are better because it's the only way we get scheduled at the same time as our team members.

Yep. Different stores have different needs. I actually know of a store where most of the SrTLs don't do any LOD shifts because they have enough ETLs. If you're in a low volume, it's a totally different story. 4-5 LOD shifts in a week isn't unheard of. The SrTLs are LOD shift pack mules. An ETL's going on vacation? Here SrTL, have another! STL doesn't feel like working on their normal shift? Load 'em up!

Luckily, most of our SrTLs agree that LOD shifts are better because it's the only way we get scheduled at the same time as our team members.

My store treats Seniors in the same regards as HR and AP, in that they should be doing LOD shifts but limited to only 1-2 per week for obvious reasons.

I was a sr. TL for 4 years and was making 48k when I left....
It does happen. I know I made more than the newer ETLs.

We're down an ETL right now so one of the SrTLs at my store has been the LOD shift pack mule. I would feel bad but I don't really like said TL.

When we're fully staffed the SrTLs (3 of us) work 2 LOD shifts a week usually (1 day or 1 close plus weekend rotation).

When I was Salesfloor SrTL I really liked closing LOD shifts since it meant I could work with my team, now I despise dayside LOD shifts since I can't stay with my team (POG/pricing) all day and help manage the workload. A closing LOD shift it like a vacation now!

Only stepping stone to ETL in my district if you're already in the family. Many new ETLs hired externally but have never seen a TL jump the Sr role, with quite a few Srs taking an ETL spot.

Pros:
- Great training if you want to promote. After a year of SrTL I felt very confident in an ETL promotion based on my skillset and development (and networking).
- Started at a higher payrate than any TL with less than 15 years, should pass that one within a year or 2 since they cap lower usually.
- It's hardly ever boring, even on TL shifts you run around doing LOD things.
- Less disconnect from TM > ETL...sort of the middleman that gets to know both sides.
- Less responsibility than ETL with much of the same authority.
- No waiting on keys!
- Get your own walkie. Deal-maker!

Cons:
- All mine seem to get the responsibility of a TL and ETL rolled into 1 with only 40 hours to do it.
- Crappiest LOD shifts go to the Srs...schedule isn't consistent, first ones to get moved to accommodate vacation.
- No peer group really, not supposed to socialize with ETLs but TLs are technically subordinates on LOD shifts so it's a fine line.
- You're the workhorse, trial by fire if you have an ETL that like to delegate but not develop.
- Can't put the same effort into your area as a TL as there's USUALLY multiple LOD shifts.

If you like to challenge yourself and already work at that level or above, jump on it!

@jackofallworkcenters if your supervisors think you are ready, then I would recommend you not wait on the opportunity as they may pass you up for someone else.

As far as it being challenging to be a senior and manage a green work center, I think it depends on your particular store and what work center you are in charge of. No matter what it is going to be more of a challenge but as long as you have a strong team in place with strong routines, you should be fine. You should also identify a team member that can potentially be your backfill and work on developing their skills, this person can also help run your work enter when you are LOD or off.

I think the best work center to be a senior is BR/IS, because if you establish all the things mentioned above you will be golden but if you are a sales floor senior, those dreaded SPLs and PTM areas can tend to take up much of your time because there is usually not enough TMs to handle it on their own.

Market is another hard area because of all the food safety routines, FDC trucks, FIFO, etc., the good thing about this area is you have PAs and you get a decent amount of hours.

Front end can be tough too but you do have GSTLs and GSAs to help you out. But me personally I prefer the less Chiefs, more Indians approach, this is why I think backroom/IS is the best work center to run while being a senior.

You should go for it no matter what and don't stop their!!

No matter what it is going to be more of a challenge but as long as you have a strong team in place with strong routines, you should be fine. You should also identify a team member that can potentially be your backfill and work on developing their skills, this person can also help run your work enter when you are LOD or off.

@jackofallworkcenters This is perfect. Going into a salesfloor Sr. position I had to build trust, especially with my brand TMs. You cannot do everything and as a LEADER you should be managing your talent to get the workload taken care of. They are the ones that do the work when you are off or during LOD shifts. I had to let go of some of the control and really focus on developing my team.

The ability and consistency of your team plays a huge part. If the "right person, right place" ideal is there in your store, it's not too bad. If you're rebuilding, focus on the main 1 or 2 metrics your STL and DTL are pushing and get/keep those green. Otherwise, just hang on for the ride as it seems Target is changing a lot right now.

I'm not sure about your district/store but mine the pay is much lower. We have promoted 4 SRtl in the last year and each only recieved a $1.75 raise . None of them making more than $16 an hour. They each work 1 or 2 LOD shifts a week and are always LOD on their weekend rotation. One has already been promoted to ETL and another is on her way there. It is definitely possible to become and ETL from there. It is more responsibility but the ETL/STL see you as more of a peer and you do get more respect. The biggest thing is planning planning planning. Make sure that you have coverage in your work center when you are LOD so that there are no gaps in staffing. You also need to have a good balance and know when to appropriately challenge the etl's. You don't want to become the person who gets everything because you have keys. Sr.TL is a great position.

For those of you who are Sr.TLs, how challenging do you find it to take care of your work centre and balance LOD shifts? I'm the first to say that I'm not quite ready to be a Sr. yet - I'm still green in my role as a TL - but I know that my ETL and STL are seriously considering me for the promotion in the near future (next couple months - my best guess would be Q1 some time) and I do believe that with more training and experience I could be successful in the role.

I think my biggest dilemma is that our store is not green, so on top of all my regular routines and responsibilities, I have the added task of reviving my work centre. There has been substantial improvement in the past 2 - 3 months since I started working on these issues, but we still have lots of work to do. I want to be sure that if I take on Sr.TL when it is offered, I don't lose all the great progress made with my team and work centre.

Both my ETL and STL seem to have confidence that I will be able to be successful, but I wanted to hear from anyone else who has been in a similar situation. Is being Sr. and turning around a work centre possible? Things in my store are definitely starting to turn around and if they continue to move in a positive direction, I am interested in staying with my store long term - at least for a few years - and in that case, I would like to continue to develop and challenge myself. The extra pay couldn't hurt either. But my team and work centre will always come first and I don't want to jeopardize all we've accomplished.

I was a Senior SFTL for a while and the challenges were maintaining PTM and routines for pfresh TMs (I had an inconsistently effective team) and balancing LOD responsibilities. It was also really difficult to get to train and develop my team when I hardly ever worked with them (except for my closing night).
Now as a Sr POG TL I have had to learn to balance being LOD with my team in the store (and trusting them to get their work done) while I run the other processes (abandon, 4x4s, FDC truck, projects for sales floor TMs, driving red cards). I've learned that frequent check ins and spending time ensuring your team knows your expectations (and consequences for not meeting them). It's also really important for the team to know you're willing to jump in and work with them, not just constantly delegate and assign tasks. (As for POG, being organized and having a plan helps out a lot too.)

I was told that process TLs (BR/IS/PA/PL) are generally not made Sr. positions, although exceptions are made here and there. I am a sales floor TL for softlines, however, so I could stay in my position and be made Sr. or I could be shuffled to HLTL or GSTL as well. My hope is that they would keep me in my work centre, but we will see. I could see ISTL being a very easy Sr. position to be honest (I was an ISTM before I promoted to TL), but I don't think our STL would go for it.

This makes a lot of sense in my mind.. I don't get why there aren't more SrGSTL's around (at least in my area.) GSA's can take a lot of the GSTL workload if you're careful about balancing everything. Sales floor makes a lot of sense too, since you'll be out on the floor as LOD and you'd still be with your own team.

I was offered a señor tl position.. The pay isn't what I expected. How do I figure out if its the right amount or if I should ask for more ???

Being a Sr. and CTL has been very challenging, especially when I haven't been granted any overlap where me and one of my PA's or 2 of my PA's are on the floor at the same time. Our store is also down a Sr. so usually 4 of my 5 shifts each week are LOD shifts, and I'm not able to put in as much time in my area as I really want to. Luckily my PA's are awesome and without them Market would fall to pieces.

IDK if being a Sr. TL in another area of the store is any easier but I almost wish I went from team member to TL then to Sr. TL instead of straight to Sr. TL, so I could have spent more time to developing market, my routines, and my PA's before I added in LOD duties.

I was offered a señor tl position.. The pay isn't what I expected. How do I figure out if its the right amount or if I should ask for more ???

There's really no "right" amount. In my district the starting pay for APTL's has varied from $12 to $16.50 an hour, depending on the person. Yet every APTL is a PG15. Target will try to pay you less if they can, such as offering less to internal candidates (which you are). They will usually increase their offer if you push back.

When they make the offer, you say "Is that negotiable?" and articulate why you should make more than they are offering. Maybe it's your education, or experience, or skills you have developed that will help you do a better job. The worst that will happen is they won't raise their offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back