Archived Shift ending duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flow Warrior

progenitor of thalassophobia
I didn't know how to title this because the problem is odd. I was working recently at night and other TL (who was Closing LOD) chose to keep two separate TMs after their shift (ie extending it aftre their time to leave) to do extra tasks out side the zone that happens at the end of the shift.

So to explain: at our store 1 hr to 30 minutes prior to shift end our SF TMs are to zone their dedicated areas then inform LOD they have completed this so LOD can verify its complete.

There are times due to busyness etc that TM do stay over to finish. This isnt about that.

This is about LOD saying to Tm that zone is fine I want you to fix this endcap or do this fill that could be done the following day or been asked previously and this keeping the TM past tm.

One of those mentioned early, finished his zone (part of a greater area) called for the zone and was told zone is fine, why is freight from other areas of greater area in BR.
TM: this is not my assigned area. Other TM left (released by previous LOD)
LOD it cant be back here you must push or back stock it. (its flat full of freight that would take 30 minutes to push)
So TM stays and pushes freight and zones entire global area (as its approaching store closing time) and is now 3 minutes from lunch compliance. So TM clocks out and informs GSTL to inform LOD that all work is complete)

Next day, I walk into discussion that TL is having with TM over said night where TL is angry that TM left then saying that TL would have told tm to take lunch because work wasnt done.

TL has been told TMs area is NOT the Global area just a quarter of it. While TM knows that if he's the final person in the global area, he needs to zone global area if its within 3 hrs of stor close, TM is not expected to do do Global area frieght. STL and ETLs confirm this.

So: can you force someone to stay after their shift ends? and Can a TL that in LOD for a night overrule an ETLs decision which when done so leads to a confrontation between said TL and TM on the days following?

Also other opinions on night duties, LOD styles how you close, I am interested in. thanks

tl;dr: Can a TL make you stay after your scheduled shift?

Answer: No. Just say “sorry, I was scheduled until x and I have to go.” Obviously there could be retaliation, but that’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it or not.

This might be a better question for your ETL. A lot of the time stores operate differently so take what I say with a grain of salt.

As for being asked to stay later, you can say no and that shouldn't be used against you. When it comes to actual tasks and global vs your own area your best bet is to listen to the LOD. If that LOD happens to be your SR then follow what they say. If there is any backlash from your ETL tell them that your SR said to do that. In the past I used to be by the book when it came to workflows and how departments operated. Now I realize that sometimes you need to move people around to get things done. What happens if all of your SL closers call out and you can't get anyone to come in? Should you just leave the department as is and let everyone catch up tomorrow? I feel as though the same should be said for extra truck. If your morning crew isn't holding their weight let your leaders deal with it. Sometimes it takes time to get the right person in the right area.

Edit: sidenote, try to structure your topic better. I was trying to figure out what you were getting at for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back