Archived Should cashiers get walkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grab a walkie for each shift because I'm either going to be at SCO or I'm going to be sent out repeatedly for reshop when it gets quiet. My GSTL/GSAs know that I'm going to push my cart(s) quickly and not goof off on the sales floor, and that I'm quick to respond when I'm needed back on the lanes. And depending on who I'm closing with, I am probably also making announcements for zone strays to be brought up, because they like how I say them.

I don't grab a MyDevice until I've been sent out on reshop. And sometimes there aren't any available by then anyway.

Our cashiers don't have or need walkies.

The only time the SCO cashier has a walkie is if it's a GSTM or GSA scheduled there because they usually get switched around.

Granted, our registers, SCO, and service desk are all bundled together so the GSTL is always RIGHT THERE.

Some of mine I don't want to have the ability to flash their light. No way I want them with a walkie.

I usually take a walkie when I'm a cashier IF there are plenty left over. Our GSA/GSTL is often running around everywhere and doesn't always see the lights flashing, and sometimes we're all just collectively watching the front end while GSA is on break. I've gotten so used to SCO and GS that when a guest claims one price is another I just call back to sales floor myself. In general, though, only one or two of us ever have a walkie and that's all we need up there.

And this is why I am happy AP have their own radios. Which are behind a locked door lol.

The only cashiers that should have walkies are the ones watching self checkout.

A side note: SELF CHECKOUT NEEDS THEIR OWN ZEBRA

Best practice is that the SCO TM needs to have a myDevice and a Walkie. We keep extra walkies in our ETL-GE's office just for the front end and we may have hidden a myDevice or two as well... ;)

They don't really need the distraction. I always chuckle when I hear a cashier getting walkie praises for selling a RC.

They don't hear it.
This is why once the guest leaves I remove my headset and announce the red card right next to the cashier.

Outside of SCO and Guest Service, only if the GSA/GSTL has to do cash office because cash office called out. At least at other stores. At my store at least one cashier needs a damn walkie because apparently half of the GSAs/GSTLs are never up front like they should be!

We don't have enough walkies for cashiers unless it's not busy enough for them to need them. Cashiers have tools to get assistance at their stations; sales floor folks don't.

And, dear god, it's hard enough to get a word in edgewise on the walkies as it is with people asking where stuff is that they could damn well look up themselves or calling for the LOD for shit that really doesn't need an LOD that I can't imagine having a bunch of cashier requests adding to the mix. I use the walkie only as a last resort as it is so it irritates me when someone in HL is asking where coffee pots are or something when I know they have a Zebra and can damn well look it up.

Just gonna add this... cashiers are the first TMs everyone checks first for unnecessarily grabbing a walkie when another TM needs one, at least at my store.

Absolutely no. We have too many clueless cashiers in my store that would be walkie-ing people every 10 minutes. The only cashiers that they're an absolute necessity for are self-checkout people.

I never grab one myself, but the GSAs will often give me one to cover when they go on break or are busy at GS.

The look on this little old lady’s face overhearing the walkie convo about which aisle the lube is in....kinda makes me want to get a walkie everyday...

It's very rarely that exciting. Especially since the beauty TMs would know that off the top of their heads, anyway, and I'd suspect a prankster asking that question because the lube/condom aisle is generally in view of the pharmacy counter and that area just isn't that big...

I'm of two minds. On one hand the day they needed backup and put me in the farthest register and I needed help, I had to call for the GSA via walkie because she could not see my light. On the other hand it's damned annoying when I come in as operator and I'm having to scrounge a half dead walkie off of someone because there are none available.

For some reason my store doesn't flash lights for help (I don't know whose choice that was) so minimum SCO will have one and they can be the messenger for the lanes. If we have spare walkies, which we usually do, I'll make sure one cashier has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back