Archived Should I be Concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm gonna try to keep it short.
I was recently hired at my local target store, pretty exciting as its my first legit job and it's definitely lifted a lot of money related stress off my shoulders.
Anyways, I recently talked to my cousin as she had worked at a target in the past (not the same one). And she had told me she had been hired at the beginning of the summer some 2 years ago, and she worked until the end of summer, she had told me she dyed her hair and they fired her saying she's still within her probationary period and they didn't like her hair. But she told me she was 2 weeks past her probationary. She feels as if they used her for the summer rush.

I did some digging and found a few related target work stories of being "used" so it's got me worried.

Basically, this is my first job. And I'm not sure if I should be concerned or nervous. I've been very punctual and extremely polite and I do get my work done. But yeah, I guess I just wanted 2nd and 3rd opinions on this. Any info/tips is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

-EDIT- I was hired part time to start off, if that gives any insight.

Last edited:
We have crazy hairstyles and colors at my store. One fella has a mohawk, like on Vikings - no problemo.

We have crazy hairstyles and colors at my store. One fella has a mohawk, like on Vikings - no problemo.
Yeah, a few of my coworkers are all tatted up. Not really much crazy hairstyles but definitely a lot of tattoos. Not sure if it's too early to say as I've been working for 3 weeks now, or maybe I'm overthinking all of this. (I'm really good at overthinking :confused:)

Man, it seems like everyone in the world's gone tattoo crazy nowadays.

Everyone is part time til you hit etl level.

Some stores seem stricter about hair color, but I've got tls with dramatic reverse ombre as well as colored ombres.

Just stay away from this!

15JUkiy.gif

I do agree with @Kartman on facial tats unless you work at a job (say as a tattoo artist) where it doesn't matter.
The other case, and some of the pictures on the pages he posted are examples are maori face tattoos which are cultural so stores technically can't discriminate against you for them.
Also the Aleut chin tattoo is coming back in force with woman now, also something that is considered a important cultural heritage.

Women’s traditional chin tattoos are making a comeback in Alaska

Oh, and neck tattoos are stupid in general too.

Last edited:
Your cousin is either not telling the full story or doesn't even know the full story.

You aren't going to be let go after summer, since we are now coming into the busiest half of the year.

In a few weeks we shift towards back to school and it will pick up steam and keep things busy through August. September is pretty slow but things pick up again in mid-October, and after Halloween there is a ton of prep going into Black Friday. Before you know it, it's Thanksgiving and the busiest 5 weeks of the year.

You guys have all been a big help, I appreciate and thank everyone's tips /advice. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing! :D

If you show up on time with a positive attitude at my store we won't care what you do with your hair.

It depends on several factors. Target (corporate) is a company that loves diversity and they love to offer opportunity. So your looks shouldn't matter really unless you're going over the top. Our District Team Lead has arm tattoos and a neck tattoo and he doesn't try to hide them. Her being let go was probably a decision based on either payroll, or she wasn't performing to standard for an extended period of time. They probably just picked whatever they could find to let her go because they're not supposed to fire for performance unless it's been an ongoing issue that's been worked on. Another factor for being let go during or directly after probationary is seasonal hiring. If you are hired during any seasonal rush period. At our store, seasonal hire for Back to School starts at the end of June and ends around mid July. Honestly 8/10 seasonal hires I see come into the store dont last long. There's really no telling if they're going to let you go. Just work hard, be interested in learning new things and let your leaders know you really want the job and want to be a target employee. It will pay off, especially if you work very hard. Hard workers are dime a dozen for target and they tend to jump on keeping people who are committed. Good luck!

Reactions: Him
Yeah, they didn't fire her for her hair. Just do your job well, and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back