Archived Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang. I recently started at Target (first week in April), and I am a hardlines team member. So far I have been complimented on my sincerity and sense of urgency, which I am quite happy about as I take my job and responsibilities very seriously. However, one thing that keeps me down is ad takedown. Every time I work during it, I feel like a terrible employee. And earlier was the worst yet!

I was doing our toy department, sporting goods, and domestics. For information purposes, I had never done toys or sporting goods before, and this was only about my fourth or fifth ad takedown. I use the rubber band strategy (gather up each aisle an hour or so before, band it together, and write the aisle number so I just have to scan it later. It was the way I was shown to do it), but I got sidetracked with some things (about twenty minutes helping a guest with a vacuum, calling another store for a guest to manually search for items, lots of last minute guests, etc), and ended up barely finishing my ad takedown, and even then I know it was not the best it could be. My zone was terrible, and there were quite a few go backs left. Thankfully the whole store had a rough night, but this was easily the worst night I've had with Target, and I felt terrible.

I was very apologetic to my LOD, and I plan on apologizing to the store manager tomorrow if they are there. The closing LOD didn't seem angry or what not, but I can't overstate how disappointed I was with myself. It was only my fourth or fifth ad takedown, and while another team member tried consoling me by saying I was still learning, the LOD should have helped, etc etc (I did ask for help with ad takedown and such, but the LOD got sidetracked and ended up helping another team member), I still felt bad.

Should I be worried in any regard? Is this something I can be terminated for? or expect any dire ramifications or consequences? I sincerely hope not, as I love being a team member with the company and want to grow and get better.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
It's fine. Stuff happens. If it's a busy night and everyone did get hit hard, it's not a reflection on you, but a reflection on it being busy. Don't worry. You don't need to apologize to the STL, heck probably didn't even need to apologize to the LOD

You're fine.
Drek happens.
It's good to know you care but don't worry too much about it.

It's good to want to be involved and passionate about your work, but don't overdo it. For example, apologizing to the LOD and wanting to do the same to the STL is laughable (I don't mean to be rude). It's great that you're engaged, but keep in mind that at the end of the day, the store is still standing. Sometimes guests need more time than expected, and it throws off the plans. Don't take it personally, and don't apologize for doing your job and providing guest service. And at the same time, I don't mean to belittle you or anything like that, but you are (as many of us are/were) a team member, working for minimum wage, with unrealistic expectations from spot. Nobody has any sales floor hours for the team, so there are large gaps that need filling. This is where your ETL's/TL's are supposed to plug the holes, but even they are pulled in different directions. The whole point of this is that you won't get everything done all the time, do what you can, and life is too short to always take things too seriously. At the end of the day, don't take it personally as because those who do-- don't last with the company.

Depending on how your store is you have nothing to worry about. There will be nights where you will be running around with your head cut off helping guests and getting calls. And you have barely touched your reshop and zone.

TLs and Execs will sometimes ride you to push you to hurry and get things done.

Best thing to do is to grab your reshop as soon as you clock in (zone as you go) and do a thorough zone the areas that are least likely to be destroyed throughout the night first. Then through out the rest of the night work constantly on the area that is bad.

Learn the planogram scheme so you can basically scan the item with a PDA, and get the planogram location so you don't have to look forever for your item.

And if you get over your head in reshop and zone, communicate that to your TL and LOD. So they know who needs help.

The more you do it, the better and quicker you get. I was the unofficial record holder for hardlines. took the entire area down in less than 30 minutes one night. nobody did it faster than me (i worked at a super).

Thanks for the input guys. As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about. But the LOD was very stingy and rude about it the next night. They ended up basically following me around the store at various points to tell me when I was doing something "wrong". They said they don;t like the way I zone, since it's sloppy and I'm slow. First I've heard anything like that.

They also told me to zone a different way, which is counterproductive in my opinion. It ended up taking longer and being less productive for the zone at large, and as such the zone itself was worse. But unfortunately, most don't this this particular LOD, since they don't think that they help very much, give us weird ways to do things (as previously mentioned), and spend more time talking on their phone (which I noticed three times over a shift, on the floor, in front of customers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back