Archived Should I report this???

Should I call the hotline and report my STL?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd report it. Today, shampoo. Tomorrow? Who knows. What if the DTL was just in the store and saw what happened. Who's arse is on the line then.

It's not that anyone can't figure out how to clean up shampoo, its what to do with the product and supplies used to clean it up. This is what ESIM is all about. Its all in the disposal. I would simply go to the HR and let them know you were asked to clean up an environmentally sensitive item and wondered if you should take the cleaning up hazardous materials training. You are not ratting anyone out and also are covering you butt. Some stores actually have a few extra team members take the course and quiz for extra cleanup power. Basically if you can eat it,you can clean it up (including pet food) The exception is medications. Although you can ingest them, you have to dispose of them properly so you have to let someone who has completed the training clean that up

You do realize that it's only a rule to protect Target from litigation, right? If you really were that upset you should have eaten some of the shampoo and gotten seriously ill. Then you could have sued Target for a lot of money because the 0020 and 0030 trainings specifically tell you not to ingest harmful chemicals. How would you have known that otherwise? I bet your STL would have gotten fired in that case.

Actually pretty sure theres a bit in OSHA about handling hazardous materials and pathogens... Think its tied into all that MSDS stuff.

I don't know if I would contact the integrity hotline since they can pinpoint who you are. I've heard that the hotline has a way of coming back on you if they can pinpoint you due to a specific incident.

You do realize that it's only a rule to protect Target from litigation, right? If you really were that upset you should have eaten some of the shampoo and gotten seriously ill. Then you could have sued Target for a lot of money because the 0020 and 0030 trainings specifically tell you not to ingest harmful chemicals. How would you have known that otherwise? I bet your STL would have gotten fired in that case.

Actually pretty sure theres a bit in OSHA about handling hazardous materials and pathogens... Think its tied into all that MSDS stuff.

Yes for dangerous chemicals, bodily fluids etc, but I highly doubt shampoo is something that is considering part of any government regulation involving cleanup.

Yes for dangerous chemicals, bodily fluids etc, but I highly doubt shampoo is something that is considering part of any government regulation involving cleanup.

I think the idea is that its still against Target's spill policy, and it sounds like the LOD/STL in question didn't care. Who's to say he won't make a Team Member clean up blood next who isn't qualified? It really should be reported -- at least to the ETL-HR first. Anybody who has Target in their best interests should agree, a lawsuit for the company would be terrible! (Hehe)

All reporting this incident would do is get the team member in question in hot water with his store's leadership team. The integrity hotline calls always end up leading to retribution on the TM that called if it can be pinpointed to a specific incident.

By the way I hate the "slippery slope" argument. It's a logical fallacy used to justify outrage over something petty because "it could lead to this outrageous scenario."

Requiring special training to clean up basic household chemicals is a relatively recent development and is only in place as a shield against possible litigation. Bodily fluid cleanup has always (at least since I first started at Target) required special certification as the risk to TMs is vastly greater.

OP: Reporting it to the hotline will at best result in nothing happening. Unless you have witnesses who will back you up, it will be a "he said she said" thing and they won't get involved. At worst, they will figure out it was you and find an excuse to get rid of you.

I haven't called... yet. I have, however let HR know about the issue as there were other TMs around that could have covered.

I will file this one away with precise details in case I see it happen again OR I have completely run out of f*$#s to give and feel like calling.

I also brought it up to my TL and pretty much told her that I no longer trust the STL. She's seen so many STLs come through the store that she understood.

So OP what did you do with the cleaned up shampoo? Where did you put the used supplies you cleaned it up with?

So OP what did you do with the cleaned up shampoo? Where did you put the used supplies you cleaned it up with?

He dumped them on the STL's desk with a note that said "I wasn't trained what to do with this, I figured you might know."

I find it interesting that this was the topic of today's huddle at our store. (MSDS)

They make such a big deal pushing the "tms cannot clean anything other than food or water" no chemicals even shampoo, detergent, or soap that comes directly from corp. No one at my store enforces that, and they act like you're crazy if you try to say you are not trained. Is not a big deal to clean up shampoo, but the fact that they bold face say one thing and do another it is just laziness (etls could easily to get their tms trained) and disrespect (making you feel stupid, or that you are the problem).

He dumped them on the STL's desk with a note that said "I wasn't trained what to do with this, I figured you might know."

That is what I should have done. I know the correct procedure, but I haven't taken the test. The test IS what matters, folks.

That is what I should have done. I know the correct procedure, but I haven't taken the test. The test IS what matters, folks.

So you know the correct procedure, but you're crying because you haven't sat down and done a quiz on the computer that takes 3 minutes. Sit your ass down and take the quiz if it matters that much to you. Don't know how to find it? Go on workbench and type in hazardous materials quiz, it'll pop up. No excuse not to do it if you're going to whine about it.

^^ If you are not given the time to take the test, that is not your fault. As a TM in my store you will be questioned why you are on a computer constantly, you should be on the floor. I need several certification tests, but if I am not given the time, how do I get the tests done?

umm... what's the procedure for cleaning shampoo? And what do they do with the "supplies?" Never had to witness it, because softlines doesn't usually have non-food spills. Most I ever have to clean is popcorn.

I think shampoo should be toss and not esim, whats the big deal of pouring shampoo down the drain? Isn't where it goes anyways when we shower?

You better not wash your hands...it has detergent in it and you aren't allowed to touch that.....

Please.

I think shampoo should be toss and not esim, whats the big deal of pouring shampoo down the drain? Isn't where it goes anyways when we shower?

It wouldn't hurt to put it down the drain but most people are going to toss it in the trash which is a big no no.
You're supposed to bag it and put it with the toxic stuff in receiving (ask if you don't know where).

Shampoo is ESIM and needs to be disposed of properly. Service Desk has to take several quizzes involving proper disposal of hazardous materials/esim.

If the OP hasn't taken the quizzes for Haz Mats, he is not supposed to clean up shampoo since it is a chemical/Non-food item.

Shampoo is ESIM and needs to be disposed of properly. Service Desk has to take several quizzes involving proper disposal of hazardous materials/esim.

If the OP hasn't taken the quizzes for Haz Mats, he is not supposed to clean up shampoo since it is a chemical/Non-food item.

I know Shampoo is ESIM I was just saying in my opinion it could be toss, if at home it goes down the drain why can't at the store. I'm haz mat certified, I took the quizzes (ST0020, ST0030 and ST0040) because I cover receiving whenever our guy goes on vacay or takes a day off.

Well typically when it goes down the drain at home it's been diluted with water. Probably wouldn't be good to pour mass quantities of it down the drain undiluted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back