Should I say no to helping with back up and Grocery OPUs?

My store is a low volume store and, understandably, given that it’s Q4, there’s a lot to do. I’m a F&B team member who was trained to help on register and OPUs. My TL, however, has pulled me off to the side to tell me that because I’ve helped several times that my team is behind. Like, what am I supposed to do?

I would do what your team lead says... BUT take it with a grain of salt. That is, take partners. Who does your team lead report to? "Hey ETL Bobby, could I speak with you a few moments?" "Of course! What's up?" "Well, my Team Lead, Tommy, is concerned about our workload completion, and believes that backing up OPU is a bad idea. He has indirectly implied that I shouldn't be doing it. Or at least, less often. What should I do?"

At that point, you've put the ball in their court, and they'll hopefully provide accurate clarification. Good luck.

I appreciate it. Was considering talking with the SD, but talking with the ETL makes sense.

What is "F&B"?

Did your TL give you any instructions on what to do next time backup was called? If your TL is worried about your area not getting tasks completed due to backing up the front end, it's on them to a) work with the other TLs to rotate backup so no area is affected more than others b) tell you how often you should volunteer (or at least tell you that you're off the hook for backup until further notice) or c) something else other than putting the onus on you as a TM to decide your priorities.

Have you asked your TL what to do for backup calls and how you should prioritize? I would start with the TL before going over their head, unless you've already done that and they're not giving you clear directions.

Last edited:
Our TL is just the opposite . He is always doing fulfillment . Sometimes I wonder is he a fulfillment lead or consumables lead !! Our market team is constantly backing up for opus . On a typical day I’m doing Atleast one standard and 3-4 opus including grocery and regular ones . Somehow we have caught up with the truck push but our lead have messed up our salesplanners, price changes etc by taking ownership and not doing properly .

Same at my store. TLs & ETLs are usually the first ones to start pulling batches, before pulling in the sales floor.

Grocery used to be exempt from backing up the lanes at my store, but then hours shifted at one point so they tended to have more people on the floor than the rest of the store combined (closing shifts, at any rate), so they lost that privilege.

Sounds like to me your TL has been asked by their supervisor why the area has remaining tasks, and then the TL is stating stay in the area. At least seeing 1000s of coachings, this is what I am thinking.

Same at my store. TLs & ETLs are usually the first ones to start pulling batches, before pulling in the sales floor.

Grocery used to be exempt from backing up the lanes at my store, but then hours shifted at one point so they tended to have more people on the floor than the rest of the store combined (closing shifts, at any rate), so they lost that privilege.
My S&E TL's pick batches all the time even, which I find weird. We have front end TM's that know fulfillment, but they'll leave those TM's up front and pull their TL's rather than pull the TM's.

Back