Archived Should I take a GSA position? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, so without being too long winded, here's my situation:

I work at a Target store in Canada, I worked flow for 8 months at one store (also crosstrained in backroom, instocks, and presentation) leading the breakout and push for softlines. After this, I transferred to a different store to go to school. Because I was going to be in school I wanted to stop doing early mornings so I asked to be salesfloor on the softlines side. Within a couple of months my ETL and TL decided to start giving me softlines Brand shifts and I ended up transitioning to doing Brand all of the time. I am off school for the summer now and I am working as much as possible and really starting to build up a good reputation with TLs, ETLs, and even the STL through the store. Even the salesfloor and flow people come to me to ask questions. Right now I work mainly brand but I also of course cover the operator/fitting room, electronics, and back up cash at times and have worked one or two cash shifts.

The thing is that there has recently been a couple of shifts in terms of leadership (which I'm not necessarily too fond of at this point) and some GSA positions just opened up. Do you guys think that switching to GSA would improve or hurt my general reputation in the store and would it be a good step to take or not? I really can't decide. So far from what I've read it seems like people think that this is a good stepping stone to a TL position (although I'm not sure I'm totally interested in this, but all of my TLs and ETLs so far have told me that I should continue working at Target after I get my degree and work my way up).

Any thoughts on Salesfloor brand vs. GSA positions? Any insight would be awesome!!

Honestly, brand is a great spot to be in. We have had a total of 0 GSAs get looked at for promotion. One asked for it, and they hired someone with 0 retail experience over her. The other got shifted to electronics.. lol. The GSTL usually gets praised with everything you are doing right and if they don't step up and share the praise you will get nowhere.. So evaluate your GSTL first, lol. Mine is a loser.

it depends on where you think you will be happiest. Being a GSA just means you are a cashier/cart attendant/Guest services/cafe TM and above all else, a redcard and ESP promoter over the walkie at my store..

I think if you are looking at possibly getting promoted or even remaining happy, stay with brand.

While GSA can be a fun position to be in, you get walked on way too much for your poor compensation. Just my .02

Personally I think you should take it I was an electronics brand TM before switching to GSA, its challenging but it will either make you or break you. It will show your leadership capability, I'm now on the TL bench after 6 months of being in role :)

I think if retail is what you wanna do, you need to apply everywhere when you graduate. I've only seen one ETL that worked their way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back