I'm Lost! Sick for a week!!!

Hi all. I work in hardlines and got sick last Sunday. Monday Tuesday are my normal days off, but I've needed to call in sick 3 more days this week with the worst bug I have gotten in years. I have had a fever all week, had days I almost couldn't breathe, and then when I was finally feeling like I would be able to get my butt back to work, my kid was throwing up all night last night. Fever is back today and still weak. I have tried to put every shift on Kronos day in advance but in spite of hearing so many co-workers not having hours nobody has picked them up via Kronos. Also my one hardlines contact is not responding to direct contact invitations to shift share.

I talked with HR lead today... I feel so bad! I hate calling out and I hate not being able to keep responsibilities.

I have worked through sniffles, nausea, loose caboose, injured hip, and so many things but just could not work through this. I have been working since September with maybe 1 call out for a bad sore throat. Luckily that bug was a fast mover. Not this one.

It sounds like I will have a coaching with my TL when I get back. What can I expect? None of these absences were NCNS, I called them as soon as I could before the shift.

We have guests from China in store...? But idk I heard at least 3 employees at my store who had tickles and some kind of chest thing in recovery, and then my daughters daycare a mother has pneumonia and a whole family of kids doing the barking seal cough. My daughter started it last night, spiked a high fever, threw up, hallucinated for about 10 minutes a bad dream. After throwing up she fell asleep and seems pretty normal except a residual cough today. I feel dizzy and weak like a viral pneumonia. Have not been to urgent care because I am just so wiped out and it wouldn't help the issue of calling out. Only have one team member contact and crickets on Kronos for my shifts. I feel the same as each day goes on. No remarkable improvement from day to day. I have so much anxiety because of the no nonsense call out policy.

Any team leads or anyone with experience being really sick have any advice or experience to share?

Depends on your store leadership. If their hearts and consciences haven’t been corroded away by kool-aid and they understand that you are really sick they might let it slide, as they should. HR could tell you for sure, but if you are still sick you might look into a medical leave if your doctor will approve it. Depending how long you are on leave, you might have to pay for your benefits, if you have them. I read on tbr some time ago that if you have sick pay and use it you can’t be written up for calling out, not sure if that still applies. There used to be a deal years ago where once a year you could call out for three consecutive days and have it counted as only one absence, don’t imagine that still applies, but HR should know for sure. Good luck, hope you and yours have speedy recoveries.

On my way to urgent care now. After helping my daughter last night my shortness of breath and general weakness has taken a turn for the worse. I called the leader for the evening to update them that I most likely can't come this weekend and that I am on my way to urgent care and will keep them posted of what the medical professionals make of it. Health has to come first, especially when it comes to breathing issues. They said I will probably have a coaching but it will be more of a formality. After this weekend I wasn't scheduled until the next weekend. Too bad my last full week for a while got ruined by this illness :(

Any team leads or anyone with experience being really sick have any advice or experience to share?
I’ve been sick since the Jan 19 , went to er found out I had a ruptured eardrum and acute middle ear infection , started my antibiotics that day , right now I’m on my second round of antibiotics for a secondary sinus infection . And if you asked if I missed work the answer is no . However yesterday I had about 10 call outs in gm which put the store in a bad position but all o said was feel better soon . Just because I go into work doesn’t mean everyone needs to do the same . Now as a leader I would suggest you use any sick hours that you have and it won’t go against your attendance. But if you don’t have any or live in state that doesn’t acquire sick hours I would just have to do a pdd because it would be pushed by hr. Hope you get better soon

I think it is only in Cali (maybe a few other places) where using sick hours negates a call in.

Be really careful of antibiotics. That is why I made sure to stay home to reduce the risk of secondary infections... my ear got an infection in 2017 and I was given multiple different antibiotics and then was out of work for 2 years with side effects from the drugs. I'd avoid anything with an "ox" or a "quin." Basic amoxicillin and stuff never bothered me. I have a touchy immune system and I took an immune booster antibiotic that was prescribed to me abroad called minocycline (actually an acne drug, but it's what the Dr. ordered for me when I was living abroad) and got severely F-ed up for a good 2 years and the drug has an issue of causing brain problems for a certain slice of patients. I hope your antibiotics serve their intended purpose with no ill effect. I have recovered from the reaction. Luckily I think I was just really depleted from pulling an all nighter with my daughter... I took some knock out meds for anxiety, passed out like a rock, and woke up feeling like I could go in so I got to go today and it seems to have jump started my system to realize the virus is almost clear.

Back