Archived Silly questions that need answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the problem with the way low skill work is now days, you have no real incentive to work any harder then others on your team. Doing the bare minimum to skate buy gets you just as far and makes you just as much as the person who busts their ass and does an amazing job. Bring back opportunities for advancement or offer financial compensation for great performance and you will see a change, but I realize that kind of management philosophy is quite dead.

This is exactly the reason why many of us do not work any harder than we should. Just because I go up and above 100% for the day, doesn't mean I will get more in pay. I will do what my job entails, and end there. You are in a production environment, and you treat it as such. No more, no less, and you're good.

Why on Earth would you want to work at 125% - make the same pay - and add to the CEO's $24,000,000 annual salary? You are the lowest on the totem pole, doing arguably the most important work, but who get the bonus when you come in at a more productive number? Not you.

Also, we have rates for cartons/hour that we have to meet. If you continuously try to "bust your ass" to hit 120% of what is expected, pretty soon that 120% will be the new 100% as they raise the expectations.

It's great that you want to be a stellar employee, but you are going to get nowhere fast in this company by breaking your back.

Thats the problem with the way low skill work is now days, you have no real incentive to work any harder then others on your team. Doing the bare minimum to skate buy gets you just as far and makes you just as much as the person who busts their ass and does an amazing job. Bring back opportunities for advancement or offer financial compensation for great performance and you will see a change, but I realize that kind of management philosophy is quite dead.

This is exactly the reason why many of us do not work any harder than we should. Just because I go up and above 100% for the day, doesn't mean I will get more in pay. I will do what my job entails, and end there. You are in a production environment, and you treat it as such. No more, no less, and you're good.

Why on Earth would you want to work at 125% - make the same pay - and add to the CEO's $24,000,000 annual salary? You are the lowest on the totem pole, doing arguably the most important work, but who get the bonus when you come in at a more productive number? Not you.

Also, we have rates for cartons/hour that we have to meet. If you continuously try to "bust your ass" to hit 120% of what is expected, pretty soon that 120% will be the new 100% as they raise the expectations.

It's great that you want to be a stellar employee, but you are going to get nowhere fast in this company by breaking your back.
QFT. Every facility is different obviously but at my store a lot of people had to quit because they made the mistake of working too hard. We had one guy on flow who would do 4 to 5 times the amount of work of an average employee and he got yelled at more than anybody in the store. When he finally threw in the towel, the flow team didn't even come close to finishing their work for months. Not surprising, the managers did not learn their lesson and did the exact same thing to the next person who made the "mistake" of taking pride in their work

QFT. Every facility is different obviously but at my store a lot of people had to quit because they made the mistake of working too hard. We had one guy on flow who would do 4 to 5 times the amount of work of an average employee and he got yelled at more than anybody in the store. When he finally threw in the towel, the flow team didn't even come close to finishing their work for months. Not surprising, the managers did not learn their lesson and did the exact same thing to the next person who made the "mistake" of taking pride in their work
And that's just it, there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your work. But you have to realize there comes a point where you are just "over-doing" your job.

I'll keep performing how I've been performing for the time I've been here. Obviously it has been working good enough.

Can anyone that works at the DC tell me why they can't load all of the PIPO pallets on one side or all at the end of the truck???

I can understand if they were all heavy pallets, that might cause weight distribution issues but that's usually not the case. If not all on one side, why can't you stack all the cases 1st and then load on all the PIPOs at the end, so once you open the truck you can unload your PIPOs 1st and then start unloading.

The reason I say this is because it is a major hold up on the unload process and goal times suffer when you have to stop the line, move it, and unload double stacked pallets. This on average happens about 2-5 times on every truck, causing about 15-30 minutes of wasted time holding up the line.

Maybe there is something I missing or don't know, but it seems like this could be executed. Or maybe it's just my DC that does this...

I've never called the DC and asked them about this issue, so I thought I ask on this forum 1st. Maybe there's a reason they can't do this on every truck.....

^That link hits it on the head. PIPO slows down loading the trailer SO much, especially if it's stuff that can't be (or isn't supposed to be) double stacked. In a perfect world (from an Outbound perspective), all stores would have a separate non-con/PIPO trailer, but this how things are....

Last edited:
^That link hits it on the head. PIPO slows down loading the trailer SO much, especially if it's stuff that can't be (or is supposed to be) double stacked. In a perfect world (from an Outbound perspective), all stores would have a separate non-con/PIPO trailer, but this how things are....

If you were to put all of ones store PIPOs on their preferred side, how much longer would it take you to load that particular trailer?

Is it physically impossible to stage all PIPOs and then load at the end?

And I agree a separate PIPO trailer would be awesome but I can see that being extremely non cost effective.

1. Best Practice dictates that all PIPO/non-con goes on preferred side, but it also says that down our trailer lanes, we're only suppose to have 2-3 pallets ready to load, along with a pallet in every wall. So, on some nights when PIPO is heavy, keeping that 2-3 number can be impossible without going side-by-side. Either way, PIPO slows down our productivity cause it's that much less space for conveyable. Plus having to reach around it to build walls is very annoying...especially if you're not the most statuesque of people :(

2. As I said above, we're only suppose to have 2-3 pallets outside of the trailer at any given time....and depending on the store, in a 12-hour shift, I'll get anywhere from 5 to 20 pallets for a single trailer, so yes, it's pretty much impossible. Also a metric we DC-side have to worry about is Cube, or how much empty space is in a trailer. Putting all PIPO in at the end and not also completely filling all the space with conveyable would kill our Cube metric.

I have a question that I have asked a couple of people ( etls ) in my store...and they look at me like I am crazy. I notice little things that most don't I guess. Have any of you noticed that on some of the heavy pieces of furniture ie chest of drawers, most cribs, baby furniture...there is a red ribbon sticking out of the end of the box? I am just curious as to why its there

I will try to remember to take a pic sometime. Its not tape though its alooks and feels almost like satin ribbon.

I have a question that I have asked a couple of people ( etls ) in my store...and they look at me like I am crazy. I notice little things that most don't I guess. Have any of you noticed that on some of the heavy pieces of furniture ie chest of drawers, most cribs, baby furniture...there is a red ribbon sticking out of the end of the box? I am just curious as to why its there

Thats not on our end (if im understanding what this is correctly) I think thats from the manufacture and it's to make the box easier to open. (not 100%)

no. tell your people to do their jobs correctly.

I'm tired of giving y'all carton label numbers and you STILL can't manage to circle the repacks correctly. It's ridiculous. Circle the correct number for the repacks. Put the correct crap in the correct box OR just say the hell with it and tell us to consider all REPACKS AS COMBOS.

I realize this is a super old post, but to any new readers (and store TMs), I think I can add some clarity to most of this.

At the DCs we have a warehouse IM (Inventory Management) team member. Part of their jobs is to collect all the damaged freight throughout the warehouse and process it. Processing involves sorting through it to see what can be sent to a store, what can be salvaged or donated, and what must be thrown away.

During this process, we often send loose units out of a casepack. Because say for instance you have a whole carton of cereal boxes that got damaged. Well there might be a couple of boxes in there that are undamaged and can be sent to a store.

Well we use repack boxes to send this freight to stores, just like packing. And since the type of damaged freight we get is so random, we dont use the zone system when packing these repack boxes. We just keep filling the repack box until its full, then tape it and send it. We still have to have the store labels like packing does, so it looks the same.

Wow! That's why the stores get repacks. At my store, we pushed every sellable package from the damaged case pack & defect the rest. Thanks for the insight.

I realize this is a super old post, but to any new readers (and store TMs), I think I can add some clarity to most of this.

At the DCs we have a warehouse IM (Inventory Management) team member. Part of their jobs is to collect all the damaged freight throughout the warehouse and process it. Processing involves sorting through it to see what can be sent to a store, what can be salvaged or donated, and what must be thrown away.

During this process, we often send loose units out of a casepack. Because say for instance you have a whole carton of cereal boxes that got damaged. Well there might be a couple of boxes in there that are undamaged and can be sent to a store.

Well we use repack boxes to send this freight to stores, just like packing. And since the type of damaged freight we get is so random, we dont use the zone system when packing these repack boxes. We just keep filling the repack box until its full, then tape it and send it. We still have to have the store labels like packing does, so it looks the same.
I didn't know that. Good info to know . thanks

Wow! That's why the stores get repacks. At my store, we pushed every sellable package from the damaged case pack & defect the rest. Thanks for the insight.

Well not the majority of the repacks come from IM. Most of the repacks do come from packing.

As explained by others before, the packing department takes cartons, breaks them into individual units, and then disperses them to different stores. For instance, say the vendor sends us a carton with 20 identical tshirts in it. One store will probably not want or need 20 of that tshirt. So packing would open that carton, and send maybe 2 tshirts to ten different stores.

But in packing, they pack their repack boxes based on the zones, and at least at my DC they are pretty good about keeping like zone items in the same repack boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back