Archived Sitting in on ETL Meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooooo one of my ETL's came up to me, and said; "We're throwing you out of your comfort zone. You're going to sit in on an LOD meeting and present something." I'm a GSA, and everyone in my building wants to see me become a TL - I've been told i'm "Next in line". Not sure what he's going to have me present, or if he wants me to come up with something. I guess we're going to talk about it this weekend. We'll see. Anyone ever heard of this?

Soooooo one of my ETL's came up to me, and said; "We're throwing you out of your comfort zone. You're going to sit in on an LOD meeting and present something." I'm a GSA, and everyone in my building wants to see me become a TL - I've been told i'm "Next in line". Not sure what he's going to have me present, or if he wants me to come up with something. I guess we're going to talk about it this weekend. We'll see. Anyone ever heard of this?

I would not do it. Sounds to me like the ETLs got together in their last social-fest....errr "meeting" and decided they needed some entertainment. You are going to be a show for them. No, I don't mean you are going to be laughed at or anything, but this is just for their entertainment. Honestly, I would refuse it on principle.

Also, if your ETL actually called it an "LOD meeting".... he is a complete buffoon.

I would not do it. Sounds to me like the ETLs got together in their last social-fest....errr "meeting" and decided they needed some entertainment. You are going to be a show for them. No, I don't mean you are going to be laughed at or anything, but this is just for their entertainment. Honestly, I would refuse it on principle.

Also, if your ETL actually called it an "LOD meeting".... he is a complete buffoon.

If there is a meeting in which all of the LODs (Sr-TLs and ETLs) attend, what would you have it be called?

They didn't decide that they needed entertainment. They decided that they want to see how clearly you can communicate your ideas to your leaders. It's my opinion that they want to put you on the bench. For once I agree with SOT on something...They are not "LOD" meetings. If the ETL called it an LOD meeting he is a buffoon. If he called it an ETL meeting and you referred to it as an "LOD" meeting when referencing it here then you need to work on your Target Lingo. Know your business dude. If they ask you to speak to something that you have no clue about don't do it. Ignore the "Next in Line" talk too. I'm not saying that you're not next in line, but if you set certain expectations and fail in this area your career with Target is over.

An exec meeting. There's only ONE LOD - leader on duty.
ETLs, on the other hand, congregate in herds.

Oh thats what it stands for? thanks. And again. If sr-tls attend, it is NOT an exec meeting. So what shall it be called? Target doesn't have a term to group together sr-tls and etls, though provide many of the same services to the store. I'm sorry that half of you hate when the term LOD is thrown around, but it is the only term Target has that encompasses these two groups, so its going to be used to describe these two groups when they are together.

If there is a meeting in which all of the LODs (Sr-TLs and ETLs) attend, what would you have it be called?

Free Food LOL :buba:

They didn't decide that they needed entertainment. They decided that they want to see how clearly you can communicate your ideas to your leaders. It's my opinion that they want to put you on the bench. For once I agree with SOT on something...They are not "LOD" meetings. If the ETL called it an LOD meeting he is a buffoon. If he called it an ETL meeting and you referred to it as an "LOD" meeting when referencing it here then you need to work on your Target Lingo. Know your business dude. If they ask you to speak to something that you have no clue about don't do it. Ignore the "Next in Line" talk too. I'm not saying that you're not next in line, but if you set certain expectations and fail in this area your career with Target is over.

I've heard it thrown around a number of different ways. Anyways, all the LOD's (Sr's, and ETL's) gather on Monday at 2:30 and have their meeting. Didn't mean to sound to "brash" or "cocky" when saying "Next in line" that's just what i've heard around. Sounds like someone had a bad day.

All of our ETLs call each other LODs all the time...no matter who the actual LOD is. It's annoying. And I would be extremely hesitant to do it...but considering how much it sucks in my store when they are in their meeting, it couldn't be any worse, really.

Yeah, the LOD thing can seem a bit like arguing semantics but it does make me shake my head a bit much as when people refer to the PIN numbers or 2 AM in the morning.
As to the 'next in line' thing I don't think it was a case of having a bad day so much as sound advice towards watching your head.
Spot has a rather viscous way of slicing the necks that get stuck out too far.

Yeah, the LOD thing can seem a bit like arguing semantics but it does make me shake my head a bit much as when people refer to the PIN numbers or 2 AM in the morning.
As to the 'next in line' thing I don't think it was a case of having a bad day so much as sound advice towards watching your head.
Spot has a rather viscous way of slicing the necks that get stuck out too far.

Thanks Commie. ElectronicsAndSuch..read the last sentance of my post. I'm sure that you are very capable and you may be next in line...I was just expressing concern for your welfare thats all.

It's called the ETL meeting, the Sr-TLs shouldn't even be in it. They should be running the store while the ETL meeting is going on. Of course that doesn't happen and they sit their lazy fat asses in there too.

I've been asked to do it a few times to discuss new rollouts pertaining to my workcenter, such as when the PCV first dropped into the gun and was no longer on paper, when the Sign Audit dropped into the gun with the PCV ( we were a pilot store so we've had it for over a year now), and when the new Unit Pricing Best Practice rolled out (this isn't in every state) I had to explain it to them as well as teach them the different units of measure. They want to see how you present yourself in this sort of situation as well as how clearly you can communicate thoughts and ideas to the group. Do you know what you're presenting?
Another time they had me sit in (and the DTL was there) was when my STL wanted me to present one of projects that I had come up with for my own self development and how it could help not only improving the beand of some areas of the store (where we have lazy TLs) but also help to drive profitable sales while minimizing the amount of A-markdowns being ticketed in the backroom.
Best advice I can give you - dont be nervous and speak clearly because it's how you handle yourself in this (possibly) stressful situation thay they'll be looking at as well as how you communicate to the audience.

It's called the ETL meeting, the Sr-TLs shouldn't even be in it.

This ^^^^^^^^ couldn't be more wrong. Any Sr. that has been identified as talent (and therefore an ETL candidate) should be working on their own development. One of the ETL's main roles is to identify and develop leadership. A way to do this is invite Sr's to ETL meetings and see how they communicate with theirs peers and what they can bring to the table. Sr's are asked to leave the meeting when the STL and ETL's have to talk other business. You know darn well that a Sr's presence at the ETL meeting will be reported to the DTL. ETL's and the STL are now accountable for his or her (the Sr) development. It's a 2 way street. It's a great way for a Sr is be involved in bigger role and see if it is something that they want to be involved in. If not, then that gives everyone some direction on who to spend time on and who not to.

As much as a agree with many of you all on the direction of the company, you all sometimes draw conclusions that are not reality.

It's called the ETL meeting, the Sr-TLs shouldn't even be in it.

This ^^^^^^^^ couldn't be more wrong. Any Sr. that has been identified as talent (and therefore an ETL candidate) should be working on their own development. One of the ETL's main roles is to identify and develop leadership. A way to do this is invite Sr's to ETL meetings and see how they communicate with theirs peers and what they can bring to the table. Sr's are asked to leave the meeting when the STL and ETL's have to talk other business. You know darn well that a Sr's presence at the ETL meeting will be reported to the DTL. ETL's and the STL are now accountable for his or her (the Sr) development. It's a 2 way street. It's a great way for a Sr is be involved in bigger role and see if it is something that they want to be involved in. If not, then that gives everyone some direction on who to spend time on and who not to.

As much as a agree with many of you all on the direction of the company, you all sometimes draw conclusions that are not reality.

Plus the Senior will at times be LOD... In ETL meetings they discuss new rollouts, wins/opps for the store, and what their areas need help with... If the Senior TL happened to be LOD on a visit and didn't know these things it would look bad for the ENTIRE store... That is why Seniors should attend those parts of the meetings, and leave if the ETLs want to discuss talent on the TL level...

It's an ETL/ETL Intern meeting, but depending on the store it could include Sr-TL's. My store's Sr-TL's are all prepping to become ETL's after their 18 months so they're allowed in. They take calls from the room...when I was an intern they'd hand off to me and I'd take care of the floor if I wasn't under intern hours. I got to sit in on them when I was scheduled as an extended intern or during the summer when I was under regional intern hours full-time.

They're going to ask you the wins and ops of what you're 'owning' or your department. What you're doing well, what needs work and what you're going to do to bring whatever's down back up to speed. So if you're a GSA maybe your team is having some great vibe moments, but redcards are down. Keep up with pushing the vibe but incorporate it into conversion. Talk about collaborating with your GSTL and salesfloor to find better ways to drive redcards and recognize the team. Talk about redcards. Bi*****s love redcards.

It's a pretty big deal for you to be sitting in on one, but just come prepared and relax! They're usually catered, too :excited:

Never heard of it but I have to say that sitting through one of those ETL meetings Ss me as being its own special kind of hell.

Having been in many exec meetings, I would fully agree with this sentiment. I hated them. I really hated the "contribution" portions when, even if all my folks were humming along in great fashion, I had to throw one of them under the bus as my "poor" performer because they forced us to provide one person as such.

Just from reading the posts of other members it sounds like many of you have something against ETL's at your store. As for me, I get along with everyone. We are a lower volume store so perhaps we bond better than other larger stores? Anyway... I was a GSA as well and had been sitting on the bench as well. I passed my interview with flying colors. Good luck and I hope you can become a TL! It's cool hearing someone else who has been GSA is getting the opportunity to move up to a Team Lead. I've never heard of a team member attending a meeting but maybe it's something new they are trying. Show 'em what ya got!

A lot of people have been treated like dirt by many TLs/ETLs so yeah there is a lot of resentment towards them. There are some good TLs/ETLs out there, but for the most part they see TMs as just numbers.

As a TM I was asked to sit in on a TL meeting with a few execs also because my TL was off that day and they needed some input on my work center. It wasn't a big deal. Maybe your making more out of it than it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back