Archived Sitting on the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past week, it has become an issue with our POG team about sitting on the floor when resetting a POG. It was an "all of the sudden" type thing. The ETL-LOG said that no one can sit on the floor. We have to use knee pads and kneel. Try doing that for a couple years for minimum wage.

It all came to a head on Thursday when I told one of the team members to ask him where it says that in best practices. It was so funny to hear him hem and haw about it. Finally, he had to back down a little because he couldn't produce the precious little document.

Do I think it looks lazy? Unprofessional? I don't care. Sometimes, when resetting a POG in cosmetics, skincare, etc. it is the most efficient way to do it. When you are handed a POG that officially takes 16 hours but are told to do it in 8, you get a little callous about following some made up, stupid rule from someone who has never done the job.

Is this an issue in anyone else's store?

When I'm doing something in shoes dealing with the bottom two shelves, I'll sit down on my legs. I'll starting kneeling then just plop my bottom down on my bent legs. It looks a bit more "professional," I think, though it is murder to stand back up after sitting that way for a while.

Are they going to provide the knee pads?
I haven't seen any company issued knee pads since I started working for Spot.
If I have have to work low I'll take whatever position is comfortable for the time I have to spend in that position.
If that means sprawling out underneath a shelf that's what I'm gonna do.

I do pricing and I sit on the floor all the time. Especially when doing price changes in shoes, tables in softlines or in the backroom.

i couldn't kneel if i tried (medical reasons), I do sit sometimes, but only very rarely. Would I "care" if they told me not to? Nope. I'd wait a few days and then do it again. Sometimes I just use the two step stools or something similar.

Ever try super-zoning the travel size aisle? Yeah, I sat on the floor for that.

I have sat on the floor plenty of times to zone bottom shelves in shoes, hang sale signs on bottom shelves...no one has said a word. They just want the job done.

I sit on the floor all the time when working on tasks on bottom shelves and I am a Senior Team Leader.

I also sit on the floor, I did get asked what I was doing once, but I don't think it's ever been a big deal at my store as long as you're working.

It looks unbrand but it is not realistic to not sit on the floor for some store tasks. Since it is Lawn&Patio season you can requisition kneeling pads for your team when necessary, but sometimes kneeling is ineffective as well. Our POG team will sit on the floor if need be, but our pricing team actually has plastic grey stools (one for each team member) that they have on their carts always because they always sit to mark endcaps.

I would continue sitting on the floor until they provided kneepads or a stool you shouldn't be afraid to tell your boss that it is unreasonable to knee on a hard floor for extended periods of time.

Greydot, are the grey plastic stools corporate approved? At our store, they removed all the stools. Where did you get them? We used to have some, but they are gone now.

They are the ones off of the salesfloor from the mop & broom aisle. They have used them for four+ years. If you have a stickler they can be removed since they are not OSHA approved, but they are not for standing on, only sitting, so I don't know if that is enough to get around that. No one has ever questioned it at the ETL level here.

Nope. Those are the ones we can't use anymore. They threw them away about two years ago. Got to love people who don't do the job, but tell you how to do it. Thanks for your reply Greydot.

To your original post - is it your (Flow) ETL-LOG saying this? Do they realize there is a difference between sitting to stock, and sitting to set? There needs to be emphasis on the difference of these tasks.

Our team (plano) always sits on the floor. I usually kneel on top of a folded cardboard box. It actually makes a difference.

When I was overnight during the holidays, I had to sit to zone the lowest shelves of Christmas lights(!) because kneeling for that long would kill my knees. Nobody said anything to me about it (mostly because the ETL-Repl wanted it done ASAP).

When I was overnight during the holidays, I had to sit to zone the lowest shelves of Christmas lights(!) because kneeling for that long would kill my knees. Nobody said anything to me about it (mostly because the ETL-Repl wanted it done ASAP).

Isn't it interesting that when the ETLs need something done right away, say a visit the next day, they are more than happy to let you cut corners?

I will sit on the floor when stocking the bottom shelves in grocery.. I'm pretty tall so its harder to bend/kneel that low, and its murder on the knees anyway... So far no one has said anything, I wonder why it would be considered unprofessional? One of my buddies at work also said that it looks bad to sit because you look lazy. Why?? Its not like I'm going any slower, its just the most comfortable position to stock from sometimes.

When working on the bottom shelves I have to sit versus bending because of my bad back.

I have only been asked by an ETL if I was all right when they found me sitting on the floor....my answer was yes, as long as you don't watch me get up. LOL. I have always been a stange getter upper, but because of some ankle issues it has gotten even funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back