Archived So, I guess I'm in highschool again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullselle

Softy
I will go through great lengths to avoid drama. I don't share my negative opinions of TMs with other TMs (I have my friends and the break room for that). And I try my best to be respectful and professional with everyone. For a long time, this seemed to be working fine. But recently, several people have been bringing their personal problems to work, and it's making things unsettling to say the least. TMs are being passive aggressive towards each other, arguing, gossiping to other TMs, ignoring each other, and generally being very "unteamlike". This is exactly why I give out my number for work related conversations only.

Does your job ever feel like highschool all over again?

Like Bowling for Soup says, high school never really ends. Retail is 50% politics 50% high school IMO.

Welcome to any retail/office job. It comes with having to work with a large amount of people. I'd also like to point out many TMs are young adults who might have actually recently graduated high school, or in some cases are still in it.

my store has all this drama and it's so exhausting. it's so bad that the drama has extended to after work drama.

The trick is to act a bit like the teacher and walk away from that shit.
If you can place yourself above above all of it 1) people will think you are a snob and won't talk to you which half the time is a good thing while 2) might even give a decent overview instead of being caught in the middle.
People would come to me for advice and half the time it was only because I wasn't mired down in the BS.

I do my best to avoid the drama. It has worked well, until an ETL yanked me into it by accusing me of talking badly about her and trying to take down her reputation in the district. Wouldn't that involve actually talking about her for that to happen? But if she wants to manage by rumors, that says a lot for her.

Anyway, there is a meme I see on facebook that I love:

"With all this drama, I can't remember if I'm in preschool or high school. Oh, wait, I'm at work."

So true.

I have found more times than not that if a person comes to you to talk about someone else....they will go to someone else and talk about you. Don't get me wrong I get frustrated and vent. I get mad with certain team members and leaders all the time..However there is a difference between being upset and frustrated with someone and just being mean..I TRY ( try being the operative word) to remind myself that I just work with them...Im not married to them and don't have to live with them...after work I go my way and they go theirs.

A couple TLs at my store stand around and gossip in the back room for 20-30 minutes at a time (at least). Of course they do it in Spanish so that half of us don't realize they're gossiping, but I know the body language associated and can spot it from a mile away. Someone never learned that there is more to being a TL than calling for TMs to meet you in the back room every 5 minutes.

The trick is to act a bit like the teacher and walk away from that shit.
If you can place yourself above above all of it 1) people will think you are a snob and won't talk to you which half the time is a good thing while 2) might even give a decent overview instead of being caught in the middle.
People would come to me for advice and half the time it was only because I wasn't mired down in the BS.

People seem to vent to me because I don't take sides. But I'll be honest, sometimes I want to take sides because a few of the TMs here are just dicks to each other outside of work. It's getting kind of hard to be nice.

Last edited:
>>Welcome to my life.<<

And mine. I prefer it that way for the most part as it makes staying out of the muck and mire that can be Spot so much easier. Yes, it gets a little lonely at times but it's nothing a good walk in the parking lot won't fix. :)

I will talk about someone only if I'll say it to their face. I've learned that everyone talks in retail, it's just the way it is. I think it's to keep the job entertaining.

I believe the biggest problem, at least at my store, is keeping people employed longer than they should. Some get lazy. That results in others picking up the slack. It gets me frustrated when someone won't do anything productive for an entire shift. I'll tell that tm how unfair it is and possibly gripe with others about it. But I won't talk about personal crap. If you tell me something, it stays with me.

My store is very high school. I stay out of it though..... I can't stand all of the fake people.

We have our share of HS drama periodically but I'm thankful it's not a continuous ongoing thing. I feel for those of you in stores where it is. I have a policy not to react to the things I hear and to always remember there's more than one side to a story. Half the time there really isn't an issue so much as there is a lot of misunderstanding.

Let's hope it passes soon...
Also you bring up a good point about there being two sides to the story, because I'm hearing a lot of different stories going around. I used to wonder what was true and what wasn't, now I don't even give a shit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back