Archived So I just might have a nervous breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just now heard my Black Friday Schedule.
Turns out I'll be in at 7am in Cash office...
ALONE.

When Black Friday rolls around, I will have only been trained in cash office for 5 days.
There is NO way that anything will be right. I know I have been told I can do it but seriously 5 days training and Black Friday ALONE?

I'll be sobbing next to the safe by 7:15am.

My trainer has YET to let me be hands on, she just makes me watch her. I asked her to let me be hands on but she said "watching is better for now" I only have 1 more full day of training with her and then a few days later is Black Friday.

I know you guys can't really do anything about it but... I needed to rant. This is insane. There is no way I'll be able to do it...

I'm in a panic, lol.

Just try your best, that's all ANYONE can really do. Remember don't let Spot bring you to a nervous breakdown! Life exist outside of red and khaki. :)

I'll be fine till Thanksgiving. Then I'll remember the horrifying task in front of me and I'll be unable to sleep lol.

I need to make a cheat sheet.

I just now heard my Black Friday Schedule.
Turns out I'll be in at 7am in Cash office...
ALONE.

When Black Friday rolls around, I will have only been trained in cash office for 5 days.
There is NO way that anything will be right. I know I have been told I can do it but seriously 5 days training and Black Friday ALONE?

I'll be sobbing next to the safe by 7:15am.

My trainer has YET to let me be hands on, she just makes me watch her. I asked her to let me be hands on but she said "watching is better for now" I only have 1 more full day of training with her and then a few days later is Black Friday.

I know you guys can't really do anything about it but... I needed to rant. This is insane. There is no way I'll be able to do it...

I'm in a panic, lol.

You"ll be fine. You"ll only be doing the stuff from Weds. Plus you'll be in a quiet room while the madness is on the other side of the wall. Sat is when your store will be doing the Black Friday Sales in the Cash Office. I have faith in ya, and you will do just fine

You might want to bring a couple of phone numbers for nearby Targets into the CO with you in case you get stuck on something and everyone in your store is too busy to come in and help you. A very nice TM from another store helped me figure out how to do a manual processing one morning when our power was out (thank you whoever you are--I'm still grateful). Definitely make a cheat sheet and make your trainer let you do the process yourself on your last training session. Frankly, I think that a trainer that would do that to you is a pretty poor trainer. Although at my store any new CO person is lucky if they get maybe 2 full run-throughs of the process before they have to be alone--six whole training session on anything would feel like an amazing luxury to us.
The person covering CO black Friday at our store has been told she'll be starting 11 pm Thanksgiving night. I didn't question it at first but now that you say you are starting at regular CO time I'm wondering why does she need to start then and why aren't doing it at your store? What are other stores CO plans?

Already mentioned, but you'll be counting money/media from Wednesday's sales date. So it should be like any normal day in the CO, aside from the madness going on outside. As for whoever's in CO on Saturday, thats another story!

The problem will be working on Saturday and having to do the counting from Black Friday. You shouldn't have a problem!

As Advertised, I wish I was inside the safe confines of the cash office on Black Friday!! Take this as a gift from the Target gods!

Do you have a printout of cash protocols?
Not to blow my own horn, I have it under guidelines.
Main thing is make sure you don't transfer to safe until you've covered all locations since there's no going back.
Hopefully you won't be counting Saturday (from Black Friday).
PM me if you have any questions beforehand.

Oh, I was told that I would have to open the sales date early and start doing skims. And no i don't work Saturday.

Crisis Adverted.

My ETL GE said that, although she wants me to do the skims for black friday ON black friday, she understands that I will be busy with Wednesdays.
I didn't think about it before and thought I was DOING Black Friday that morning.

My fault :p

Thanks for pointing out my moment of stupidity. I love you guys, lol. Not nervous any more :D.

Yeh, the only thing about doing skims is that you make sure that each loc is not set on "final" (set to "pick-up") & you exit WITHOUT closing the sales date.
When you come in the next day, enter any advances from yesterday first. As you count each loc, change it to "final" & proceed as you would any other day.
Whoever is in CO on Saturday, make sure you have the large dep bags, LOTS of currency straps & crank up the radio!

Last edited:
So...my first bf in retail was last year. It was my first week in sl. My walkie didn't work. I'm alive. Encouragement you will get through it some stranger Tl sl believes in you :)

Cash office seems like another world. Maybe partner with a gstl tell them you have yet to be hands on and would feel more comfy being hands on or maybe another training day?

Deep breath everything is going to be fine :)

I'm working the opening cash office shift this year from 11:45-4 (then coming back at 2:45 for a closing GSTL shift...ugh). I'm mostly there to make sure the morning start funds are dispersed correctly and process Wednesday. We do skims about every 2 hours on BF, so I'll probably process the first round before my relief comes in (we have cash office scheduled all day). You can actually transfer to safe as many times as you need to as long as you don't close the sales date. We count the skims, transfer to safe, skip down to end balance and then back up to open balance with every round of skims. That way the next person in doesn't have to worry about what I have or have not counted.

As far as your training, I'm dumbfounded. I usually train people in the cash office in three days. The first day they observe me, the second day I observe and help them, the third day I observe without actively helping. You should definitely demand that you get some hands on experience before you go solo. There's a daily checklist on workbench that you can print out as well. Follow it to the letter. Cash office seems intimidating at first, because...cash money, and lots of it! But after a while its nothing, and you might as well be handling monopoly money. Good luck! You can do it!

You might want to check with your ETL-GE, notice came out yesterday from Sales Audit they DO NOT want any stores counting skims on Black Friday! I don't know why, but we called several sales auditors yesterday and will be calling ours in India today to figure out why....

Yikes! That'll suck hard. I was out of the store doing comp shop yesterday, so I'll have to investigate this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back