Archived So I was setting planograms with another TM this morning....

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;DR The world needs ditch diggers, too.

True but ditch diggers need to be able to feed their families and have health insurance etc.
What's happened is society has some how decided that the only people who deserve a decent wage are the ones with a college degree.
If you work with your hands, organize and ask for a living wage, you're somehow screwing people.
G-d forbid you work in retail.

While this is true in many professions, there are still lots of jobs out there that pay as much as a degreed job or even more. Welders, plumbers, electricians, telecom workers, AC repair, mechanics, entry level IT workers, etc do not require a degree and can easily pay more than a degreed job. Seriously - even truck drivers can make six figures.

The key here is finding a job that requires at least some skill.

Retail was never meant to be a long term career unless you went corporate or top store management. It was intended to be a starter job for high school/college students. This isn't anything new. Go back to the 1960's and retail would still (comparably) pay the same it does today. Now, can you make retail a career if your promote? Absolutely. Can you stay a cashier for 20 years and expect to be pulling in serious cash? Not really.... the problem is, there are people that try to do that. These are the people who probably shouldn't be in retail. If it was something they truly excelled at, they would have been promoted.

Part of the problem is that people refuse to consider any job besides retail/food service and degreed jobs.... like the world is that black and white. There are lots of jobs out there that have good pay *and* do not require a degree.

When I was a playstation rep, I constantly had people come up to me and ask "How did you get your job????" like it was some amazing accomplishment. Eventually all I could do is look at people and say "I heard there was an opening and applied for it". That was literally all I did.

People make it sound like getting a job outside of working at a retail store without a degree is some impossible miracle. The fact is, it really isn't. Think about it this way - only about 20% of the USA population has a 4 year degree. Where are the other 80%? All working retail? No - most of them are working in other industries despite not having a degree.

Actually us as Americans it is BS that we should pay to continue our education. The government should make it free or a hell of a lot cheaper this country is falling behind in education while other countries make college free we increase our tuition rates. And we wonder why are youth turn to gangs because our country makes having a better life too far out of reach for too many. Not everybody is granted scholarships or rags to riches stories. Some sadly see the realization that they are not going to be one of those kids that get a full ride to college because they know not everybody can be given money. Other countries know how important education is for their countries survival in the future so they just give it to their citizens. Where as the United States just sees the whole thing as one huge way to make money.
Instead of the government spending $60 million making dance movies that suck balls why don't they use that money to send me and a few hundred more to college for free. But they won't because most people in power are old and won't see the negative impact of them trying to stuff their own pockets rather than investing in this countries future.
Honestly this countries founders would be rolling in their graves if they could see just how low this country has sunk. Yes the founders cared about money but they didn't screw this country's citizen for that. otherwise they would have taxed the hell out of everybody too. Calling your self an American use to have pride behind it now its just a joke. I feel sorry for all the men who have died and fought in the wars believing that this country would remain great.
The saying " ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do for your country ?" Needs to be rearranged to say ask not what you could do for your country, but what could your country do for you? And they could be doing a lot more for its people than they are.

I am glad at least a few people understand what is really going on in comparison to the rest of the delusional beings who think the government
loves us all. The privileged kids will never understand as everything is spoon fed to them from birth creating the illusions that everything is okay
and fair thinking those that don't go to college are not "fit" for society. The corporate bubble won't burst but the american educational bubble will.
I feel sorry for those that cannot understand what is simply right in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back