Archived so im autistic and i have a tough time finding a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
target is the only company that would give me an interview

i got 4 interviews and failed all of them because of my lack of communication and social skills
it was really awkward talking to the interviewer
how should i go about my next interview

i know i can be the better employee, its just the interview a thick brick wall i cant pass through
on the internet im comfortable because you guys dont know where i live and stuff

autism also restricts me from positions like sales and cashier

Do you have a job coach? Most states offer support like this, I would first look into that. Most of the time your job coach will be allowed to enter the interview with you, and act as a go between once you are hired.

In your case, you are aware of your disability, and making strides to overcome it, so first kudos to you. Its rare to see that these days. If you decide to proceed alone, I would explain to your interviewer your disability and the effect it may have on your interview so that they can better assess a proper fit.

Best of luck to you! If you interview at target again, post back here and I'm sure we can offer you some additional help.

When someone has autism that is high enough on the spectrum that it there is a medical diagnosis they qualify for services through the states Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
This is a very cool group of people who help folks with different kinds of disabilities find jobs.
They make sure that you have the support you need to keep the job and give you the tools you need to advance so you aren't just stuck in one place forever.
Usually you can find the number in the phone book in state agencies or on the state website.

You will need to have the medical records and if you had an IEP in school that speeds things up a lot.
They can get you a job coach too, if you need one.

As someone who works one-on-one with children on the spectrum, I know how difficult and frustrating it can be to not be understood because of the differences of how our brains work. Let me just say, it's not you, it's them. It's usually the lack of knowledge on their part and they equate no eye contact, lack of focus, etc with not wanting the job.

That being said, well 60seconds just said exactly what I want to say. Explain it to them. There are services available to you. One agency around my way would actually have a one-on-one be there with the person at the job for a few hours each shift. The best place in Target for you in my opiniom would be in the backroom as you rarely need to speak to guests and any social interaction you would need to do is answer walkie calls for items or get instructions from your boss and it is routine.

Do you know about http://wrongplanet.net/? It's a website and forum for people on the spectrum by people on the spectrum and they will have a viewpoint more in line with you than most of us will ever have! Here's their jobs forum.

When someone has autism that is high enough on the spectrum that it there is a medical diagnosis they qualify for services through the states Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
This is a very cool group of people who help folks with different kinds of disabilities find jobs.
They make sure that you have the support you need to keep the job and give you the tools you need to advance so you aren't just stuck in one place forever.
Usually you can find the number in the phone book in state agencies or on the state website.

You will need to have the medical records and if you had an IEP in school that speeds things up a lot.
They can get you a job coach too, if you need one.
i have PDD-NOS not full blown autism

It doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum, from non-verbal to low functioning to Aspergers you can get services. If you don't mind, what state are you in?

It doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum, from non-verbal to low functioning to Aspergers you can get services. If you don't mind, what state are you in?
i am from new york city

Check Job Path: http://www.jobpathnyc.org/ and click "Our Programs" to get information on their employment services and eligibility requirements.

Abilities, Inc, which seems to be based in Long Island, has job training and placement services.

Sorry I have limited time right now but I will check more later. But in my opinion with Target, explain to them first the situation, maintain eye contact, be attentive and be polite!

What everyone else said is valid: to you it may not be 'full-blown' autism but it's still part of the spectrum & you would benefit greatly from job-coach assistance.
The best thing about it? They fade out as you get more settled in-role.
They're not meant to be there forever; just long enough to help you find your niche.
As the others have also said, backroom would be a good fit because you wouldn't have to deal with guests (annoying even to us NTs).
It's also ideal if you have a penchant for accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back