Archived So, is it true that Target disputes all unemployment claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGW

I was recently terminated, for reasons I find somewhat suspect and disagreeable, but as I find the situation to my benefit (I'm sorry, but when I am spending more to get to work on a weekly basis than I am making..there's a problem) I figured it was for the better and didn't bother with it.

I had filed for unemployment sometime earlier this year as my hours were piss poor, as was my pay (just on the better side of minimum), and while I qualified, I apparently made to much and I never saw a dime from EDD.

Well after actually becoming unemployed, I decided to file again and all was well....until I got a notice that I was to have a phone interview with EDD in regards to my recent departure from my previous employment. Turns out it was being disputed, and they needed the facts about what happened and all that, I'm sure there's people here that know how that goes.

They asked me about a date I had missed, exactly a week prior to my termination. I remembered that day quite well, I remember distinctly talking with the LOD, who the LOD was, and that I was calling out at least an hour or two prior to the start of my shift. But wouldn't ya know it, it was put down as a NCNS, and I was on my final warning (after a previous NCNS that I also greatly disagreed with, but ultimately accepted). So I told the EDD what they needed to hear, was informed that Mother Target had 48 hours to comply, and I've not heard anything or received any mail since.

Now the BS all aside, I heard from a friend that works there that Target apparently disputes all of their employee's applications for unemployment. Is this true? That's pretty damn shady if you ask me. Especially since I actually am unemployed, why should I be denied my benefits? Considering I was put down as a termination, and must therefore respond as such on any applications I make (making finding work, moreso in these times than ever, excruciatingly difficult) I feel I've already been "punished" enough as it were.

Fact is, I'll be making more on unemployment than I was for the last good chunk of the time I was there. After almost 3 years of employment I heard, saw, and experienced some pretty cruddy, shady things, got incredibly disillusioned with it all. I think it only fitting that in terminating me I am the one that makes it off better in the end, make them realize they were better off keeping me on, as they're gonna be paying out more for having let me go.

Yes but if u go to court u usually win

That would be Talan's department. If I remember correctly, he beat Spot 3 times.

EDIT: That was for wrongful termination, not unemployment. But it says a lot about Target's "legal department."

Yeah everyone i know that got terminated was able to appeal and win unemployment after going to court. Etl hr, stl, hrbp never want to go to hearings.

The general word is that they fight it every time.

we had a tl fired a few months back and he received his unemployment benefits without any problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it protocol to at least call 2 hours before a shift. Not 1, as was stated in the OP.

Especially since I actually am unemployed, why should I be denied my benefits? Considering I was put down as a termination, and must therefore respond as such on any applications I make (making finding work, moreso in these times than ever, excruciatingly difficult) I feel I've already been "punished" enough as it were.

This part got to me a bit. I'm no company man and I've definitely not been drinking the kool aid, but where do you get off thinking Target owes you anything? You were on final warning and you called in an hour before your shift. What did you expect? When I was on final warning I didn't miss a day out of that year because I knew it would likely mean my job.

Target is not trying to punish you by firing you. They're trying to get rid of an unproductive/unreliable TM that must already have a history of performance or attendance issues if you were already on your final.

Why should they pay you to sit at home if you got fired because of bad performance/attendance? The whole purpose of letting you go was to get someone else in who would be willing to do the job and be more reliable about it.

I seriously do not know where this generation's sense of entitlement comes from. "I did bad and got fired, but you're not going to pay me?!" lol yeah right :wacko:

Target challenges nearly every filing of unemployment benefits because they have little to lose & everything to gain.
It's not shady, it's business.
If it was a documented, justified termination, they'll be there with files in hand to showcase your performance (or lack thereof).
If the case is weak, you'll prevail.
Never assume anything.

Yeah, you'd be surprised at how much of big business will just deny at first in the hopes of getting their way. I've been denied in the past with a former employer. Is it unlawful? No. Is it a sad practice by a lot of businesses? Yes. I'd say of the people I know who have been denied, about 70% end up winning, so definitely keep fighting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it protocol to at least call 2 hours before a shift. Not 1, as was stated in the OP.

Was closer to 2 hours, I wasn't feeling well and woke up around 10 and called, my shift was at 1.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I got my letter from EDD in the mail today stating I will be receiving my benefits so go me.

^^^ seems to be the trend lately. everyone I know who was termed from spot got theirs, even people who were on a well documented final warning.

I will have to side with Target on this, most stores generally take TONS of paperwork before you get to a final if you where termed they most likely have plenty of occurrences, you only stated 2 you disagreed with that is not enough to be on a final or term, there must be more to this story, and as far as fighting target is doing what all companies do, fight for their decision. Target's firing system is designed to give a TM plenty if not way too many chances to fix their performance, if not they get fired. To sum it up, if you managed to get fired from target, you must have been very unproductive.

Glad to be paying your bills b/c you were too lazy to show up to work.

Seriously, how does anybody sympathize with this guy/girl?

Glad to be paying your bills b/c you were too lazy to show up to work.

Seriously, how does anybody sympathize with this guy/girl?

there's lots of reasons people ncns. laziness isn't necessarily why they occur. and you're not paying his bills per se...it's kind of like the circle of life in the lion king...ya pay into the system for a while, and you take from the system for a while. Not saying it's right in all cases or that it doesn't ever get abused though.

Unemployment claims are basically handled by a third party, if I remember correctly. When a termed team member files for unemployment, HR gets an email from them asking for all of the details of the termination, including whether attendance was a factor. And that's usually the last we hear about it. Store-level execs are rarely involved in any of it.

Just the fact that you think all NCNS are because of laziness shows how much of a closed minded person you are.

that's what i'm sayin'.

Off topic, but every time I see your username, I think of Mr. Cool Ice and all his awesome tattoos. Lol if you don't know who that is, do yourself a favor and google image it.

Yes they do and yes you can win quite easily as long as you document everything they say they are documenting. It's not just a one way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back