Archived So I've been presented with an opportunity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
At my store, from mid-November to early January, we have a group of sales floor team members that work overnight to push re-shop and zone (because there's no way to get it all done while the store is open that time of year). Hardlines and softlines each have about 10 or so TMs and a TM that oversees them (kind of an unofficial team leader, if you will). Yesterday (or today if you're on the west coast), my GSTL asked me if I would be interested in leading the overnight hardlines team.

Pros of going O/N:
  • The position would be beneficial for my development, if nothing else.
  • No guests in the store.
  • It's an opportunity for me to gain more experience on the floor, albeit without answering guest questions.
  • Guaranteed at least 30 hours, typically in 8-hour shifts. Plus, there's shift differential.

Cons of going O/N:
  • I have very little (if any) experience as a leader, and none at Target (unless watching cashier trainees while their trainer is on break counts).
  • Overnight. My sleep schedule would be FUBAR.
  • Because I would be working overnight and sleeping during the day, my availability for my other job would take a hit (generally afternoons and evenings during the week). I'm currently guaranteed 19 hours there on a regular schedule.
  • Since I wouldn't be working dayside, my opportunities for cross-training in other workcenters would be limited.

Another thing to think about is how I would be scheduled on Black Friday. If they heeded my current availability, I would probably be scheduled to close, most likely as a cashier. But if I'm overnight, then who knows what I would be doing (i.e. cashing, hardlines, attempting to help out at electronics)

Would anyone care to share their thoughts?

Well, guys (and gals), thank you for your input.

I have decided that I will go for it. I put my name on the list and submitted an availability change request tonight.

Thanks everyone!

Hope it leads to better things.
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

I'll have to see if I can get on here on my nights off since there's nothing else to do at the ungodly hours of the morning...

Do it. Sounds to me as though they're training you to become a TL. They want to see how you handle taking ownership of part of the business and a team.

Maybe they're anticipating losing a TL but they feel you need a bit more experience.

It's funny you should say that. When I last saw the sheet, there were only 3 of us signed up for the overnight: myself, a softlines TM, and some guy from the flow team. But my STL told me that another TM was going to lead the hardlines team. Said TM is in development and is hoping to become a TL in the future. I'm not quite sure if we're both leading (because nobody is allowed to work 7 days a week) or if I got duped. Though to be fair, he's a better leader anyways and has more experience in the Sea of Red. My STL never said I wouldn't have a leadership role (it was my GSTL who asked me if I wanted to do it), but she did say that we would almost certainly have seasonals on the team and that I would have to help train them.

Either way, I'm ready to get this **** over with. Bring it on, Spot.

So I talked to my HR TL about it today. We will have mostly seasonals on the team (most of whom will hopefully be finished with their training by that point) because we couldn't get enough regulars to sign up. Also, me and the other guy will both be leading - kind of like co-captains.

I can't wait to get Black Thursday/Friday over with and just do re-shop without guests in the store. It's nice to not see 23.75 hours of cashing shifts on the schedule and instead see 40 hours of "Logistics Zone" (my store uses it as sort of a "wild card" workcenter for overnight sales floor, adjacency sets, midnight releases, and other occasions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back