Archived so lemme tell you how my first night went!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigglytuff

one tough creampuff
ok so overall my first night was kind of terrible??? i mean it was nothing i wasnt really expecting tbh. i'm bad in social situations, speaking up if i need to, etc. so most of why i had a bad time was because of my own struggles

but now that it's over and done with i'm thinking back on it and it was a really pleasant experience. my coworkers are nice, my team leads are big sweeties and the work itself isn't that difficult.
the only thing i gotta say was i felt kinda weird about the person who they chose to train me because it felt like she just wanted to get her work done and i was this burden to her the entire time....but i think i overheard something about people who train new employees getting extra pay so i dont feel too bad about it lol

ALSO i feel like i should maybe bring in my own box cutter because the cheap ones they give you make me really nervous because they are the kind where its easy to cut yourself on accident and i feel like if i eliminated that worry i'd work more efficiently

so idk basically i had a bad first night but it inspired me to do better next time :3

ok so overall my first night was kind of terrible??? i mean it was nothing i wasnt really expecting tbh. i'm bad in social situations, speaking up if i need to, etc. so most of why i had a bad time was because of my own struggles

but now that it's over and done with i'm thinking back on it and it was a really pleasant experience. my coworkers are nice, my team leads are big sweeties and the work itself isn't that difficult.
the only thing i gotta say was i felt kinda weird about the person who they chose to train me because it felt like she just wanted to get her work done and i was this burden to her the entire time....but i think i overheard something about people who train new employees getting extra pay so i dont feel too bad about it lol

ALSO i feel like i should maybe bring in my own box cutter because the cheap ones they give you make me really nervous because they are the kind where its easy to cut yourself on accident and i feel like if i eliminated that worry i'd work more efficiently

so idk basically i had a bad first night but it inspired me to do better next time :3

No people who train new employees don't get payed more, I know because I'm a trainer...

Nothing wrong with bringing your own box cutter, just hang on to it.
They like to disappear.
Trainers don't make extra, sorry to say.
You probably got dropped on her at the last minute with no warning and little planning.
I'm glad things are, in retrospect, going OK.

oh then i guess the people who said it were joking.

You probably got dropped on her at the last minute with no warning and little planning.

yeah thats kinda how it went. the team lead was just like "hey, here u go. train this girl" and she was like "oh.........."
and i feel kinda bad when those things happen, i dont like feeling like i'm in the way ;-;

Welcome to Target! No planning what so ever; they just find someone and stick you with that person who is doing what you're suppose to be doing!

Sorry to hear about your first bad night, but it will get better! Can I tell you how many times I've misplaced my box cutter. When I am doing pulls, it likes to play hide and go seek with me in my three tier, my boxes, just about anywhere haha.

Yeah I do not believe trainers get paid more and if they did, well then that would be a crock. They're some really good trainers on this forum and some at my store, and then there's other who can barely do their own job correctly, let alone tell someone else how to!

I'm the trainer for Backroom day in my store, and the way they train people in my store is so f***d up, Like who's idea was it to schedule someones first day of training on a sunday night (Busiest night of the week) At 7:00PM (largest CAF's of the day) with just Myself and one guy whos only here till 7:30, I work in a 180k sales per day store btw. I believe it's called AAA? But yeah they basically took out one of our midshifts and gave us a trainer, then the LOD's are like "Backroom can you work out all the 7's you have an extra person here" We have trouble keeping new team members.

Re: trainers getting paid more - if that were true, I coulda retired LONG ago lol

Seriously, tho, with repetition comes familiarity which improves confidence which increases speed.

Re: trainers getting paid more - if that were true, I coulda retired LONG ago lol

Seriously, tho, with repetition comes familiarity which improves confidence which increases speed.

mmhm. thats why im not losing hope! i know i'll get it

Welcome! Keep on using spot box cutter. Spot can come after you depending your store mgt & write you up.

was just going to say something about this. No using other box cutters. If you get caught with one, big trouble. If you get cut with a non-spot issued box cutter, you get termed (per one of my TLs). If you get cut with a spot box cutter, not a huge deal.

Welcome! Keep on using spot box cutter. Spot can come after you depending your store mgt & write you up.

was just going to say something about this. No using other box cutters. If you get caught with one, big trouble. If you get cut with a non-spot issued box cutter, you get termed (per one of my TLs). If you get cut with a spot box cutter, not a huge deal.

The saddest part about this is, the only cutters that ever get me, or put holes in my clothing, are those bottom of the barrel cheapest bidder box cutters they could find. And for whatever reason those are OSHA approved.

Things do get better, however they are also going to get worse for the next 2-3 months. Quarter 4 is where all the fun is at and if you can survive that, you'll survive spot.

The way I hear it is that being a trainer is something that's looked at during review time. I'm not sure anyone has ever noticed a raise, though. If it's there, it's totally nominal.

No, don't bring your own cutter. The ones we have are garbage and look silly, but it's what is approved. Wal-Mart has better, more ergonomic cutters than Target. Why we enjoy being embarrassed, I don't know.

Ask your questions. It doesn't matter if you feel like you're burdening her, she's there to train you. My store has gotten better about scheduling trainers with trainees but it's possible you were dropped on her. I've had people dropped on me and I'm not even a trainer. The goal is to become self-sufficient and you can only do that by asking questions. Impress your TL by being efficient and becoming knowledgeable as quickly as possible. Never drag your feet. Any questions, there's a plethora of people here you can ask.

I don't think there's a raise for being a trainer.

I don't know why your trainer acted as if she was burdening you. I love training people, mostly because it means my zone an reshop is guaranteed done :D

If you have a LPDA, you can keep your box cutter in the front pocket of the holster. If not, someone once gave me the suggestion of using a toothbrush holder. They're maybe a dollar or so and can be found in the travel-size aisle in HBA.

Boxcutters? What's that? JK

I never use them, they look dangerous.

I always peel the tape off the boxes with my long nails. lol

The only issue I had with their craptastic box cutters was on my first night. Everytime I would push the blade out I ALWAYS grabbed it by the wrong side and would stab my thumb. I have no idea how I didn't bleed that night.

That being said don't use your own box cutter without finding out if your store will allow it. I personally don't use one but I have seen a few people on our team with their own. I have no idea if it is approved or they just haven't been caught. But our store seems to be pretty lax with things like that as long as it doesn't cause problems.

Bad advice on my part.
Working signing I could get away with it.
I called it my signing tool.
If you're working flow you have to stick to the ones assigned I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back