Archived So now Target is stealing peoples money out of their checking accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is stupidity.

This morning I was working electronics. Guest comes up with an ink cartridge and wants to buy it. No problem.

As I start checking him out he says "I really have a problem with your company". So I say "I'm sorry to hear that. Is there something I can help you with?"

then he goes "yea, if you can tell them to stop stealing from peoples bank accounts".

Instantly I know some sh** is about to start. So I start trying to ask him what he is talking about and he says he doesn't want to talk to me anymore and wants to talk to someone else. So I call the LOD.

While we are waiting for the LOD, I finish checking him out using his visa check card. (not a target card)

LOD gets back there and the guy starts telling him that target is stealing from people by double charging them. The LOD is acting like WTF are you talking about?

Guy eventually pulls out his phone and logs into his online banking and shows the LOD that there is a "pending charge" and tells that LOD that eventually there is going to be another charge that shows up in the regular activity section. The LOD keeps trying to explain to him that the pending charge just hasn't posted by his bank yet.

Then the guy insists that he LOD get on the register and make the pending charge move to the list with all the other charges. The LOD keeps trying to explain that it is his bank telling him he just got charged at Target and that we have no control over when the charge no longer is pending with his bank. The guy insists that we do have that ability and that "other stores do it" without him having to ask.

Eventually the guy gets so pissed he says he wants to return the ink and the LOD takes him up front.

I missed out on the action at guest service, but from what I heard from a guest service TM the guy returned it and then had a freak out because after he returned it because the pending charge was still showing up on his online banking. Apparently the LOD and GSTL both tried to explain that it would take 2-3 days for the refund to show up, and he started to cuss everyone out and start to threaten people. Our SrTPS had to walk him out.

The guy was in his 40's and otherwise appeared to be totally normal. I don't know if he was nuts or just actually this stupid.

Yup.. Lol.

If it still says pending, its not a completed charge so they can't insist they were double charged... yet.

Now if it was a charge that was not pending any longer and was on their twice, thats a different story.

The TGT Debit Card seems to just wait 4 days, then BOOM money is gone from my checking account -- i've never seen the TGT Debit list any charges as pending.

Must have just been crazy day at Target. I had a guest scream at me because she had a $50 charge on her credit card bill from another Target store - not even in my city - and wanted me to remove it from her bill because she distinctly remembers returning an item in my store that day and she was supposed to get a $50 gift card for that return. But instead my store charged her $50 and falsified the bill to show that it was from another store which is 75 miles away. Uh, yeah. I can do that. I can also turn water into wine.

The problem is ignorant people having access to too much information that they are unable to understand. Pre-internet they would never see what was going on in their bank accounts or credit card accounts until they received a monthly statement in the mail. Now they have instant access anywhere, anytime, via phone.

Any debit card behaves that way if it's processed as a "credit" transaction. If you don't type your pin, the money isn't "instantly" deducted from your account and is instead "pre-charged", thus a pending transaction. That's the reason for using a pin, it's a little bit of extra security because once those funds are taken out, they're gone. Ringing it as a credit transaction give a little extra time to dispute charges that may not be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back