Archived So..since retailers are reimbursed for coupon values...

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not that we lose money. it counts against our sales and a ton of work for hardlines

we used to be able to say you didn't buy it here, you have to go to that store. we don't have shelf space. then there was a $ amount. then it was a reasonable amount.

couponers are making money off using coupons. we have no proof we're reimbursed for fradulent use. its like an incorrect wic check. we don't get credit. i'd wish more stores just say you get what you paid. there was nothing wrong with it. you don't want a new one so your coupon won't help you much.

Sorry, looked in the acronym wiki, and still couldn't find it, but what does HBA mean?

And i thought there was some nationwide system that tracks a consumers returns? Once it gets excessive, merchants can put the guest on a return ban? I know that Best Buy will issue 30-90 day return bans on customers who do so without a receipt repeatedly.

Sorry, looked in the acronym wiki, and still couldn't find it, but what does HBA mean?

And i thought there was some nationwide system that tracks a consumers returns? Once it gets excessive, merchants can put the guest on a return ban? I know that Best Buy will issue 30-90 day return bans on customers who do so without a receipt repeatedly.
We don't limit returns that get looked up on a card/check or with a receipt, but each drivers license number has a $70 per year limit. This limit is flexible, if the guest has a redcard the POS will usually allow them to bypass it (at the screen that says swipe most used card or check). If not it forces an exchange from the same department. I do know that other retailers will require a drivers license for any returns to ban any repeat returners, but we only do that with no receipt returns.

There used to be an account code (861) that tracked the coupon amts that failed reimbursement; it represented the losses caused by coupon rejections.
I don't know if it went by the wayside/if manufacturers got more liberal or what.
Sure would be good data to have right now.

@Redlined: HBA refers to health & beauty.

There used to be an account code (861) that tracked the coupon amts that failed reimbursement; it represented the losses caused by coupon rejections.
I don't know if it went by the wayside/if manufacturers got more liberal or what.
Sure would be good data to have right now.

@Redlined: HBA refers to health & beauty.

Thank you! I kept trying to find a financial/money code to match the acronym, lol! But it makes sense now since couponers buy tons of shampoo/deodorant/toothpaste etc.

I wish that system tracking coupon use was still around or enforced.

I just say no. And I have the backing of my ETLs and STL. It's not a matter of how much we'll give them. It's a matter of, "We reserve the right to refuse any return, and I'm refusing this one." I had a guy yell at me a couple weeks ago because my decision was based on race. Um, no, it was based on the fact that you try to return items three or four times a week, sometimes with a receipt from the trash, sometimes with a gift receipt (who gives cold medicine as a gift?) sometimes with your ID, but never with a legit receipt. So no, I'm no longer accepting returns from you. You don't like it? Shop WalMart.
if he's using trash reciepts thats theft and grounds for tresspassing . next time let him do it and let ap tresspass him so he cant come back.

Our Ap said it's too hard to trespass someone based on fraudulent returns. He'd prefer that I "discourage" them from shopping at our store.

Our Ap said it's too hard to trespass someone based on fraudulent returns. He'd prefer that I "discourage" them from shopping at our store.
How would he like you to do that? Ominous glaring? Nasty anonymous notes on their car windshield? Or does he sanction you telling them to GTFO of the store? :p

How would he like you to do that? Ominous glaring? Nasty anonymous notes on their car windshield? Or does he sanction you telling them to GTFO of the store? :p
It is private property. We can tell them or get a court order to stay away.

Last edited:

Seems to me from my experience is that your AP just does not want to deal with it. My last AP ETL had a good partnership with the APs of other nearby retailers as well as the cops. Together they helped prosecute several people with nothing better to do with their time than play their fraud games.

Mostly GTFO of my store. lol

Seriously, to trespass someone, you have to include the local police department. In a large city, the police don't give a shit about fraudulent returns. So we just refuse returns until they go to another store.

@Nauzhror @Retail Girl I'm sorry, you two are right, I was thinking about counterfeit coupons, not real ones. I just messed up the example and my thoughts. I was looking at current circulating counterfeits on the coupon website and noticed we accept a lot of them.

My bad :)
Just remember, that site is not perfectly accurate. I can think of plenty every year that are not only legitimate, but were given to me straight from the manufacturer via professional relationships then recalled for no reason...I check the list and contact the manufacturer for replacements but Joe Public doesn't know that p&g put his coupon in the list and shouldn't be harassed by zealous Bud followers just because it was posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back