Archived So Starting ETL's Might Be Getting A Raise Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logistics ETL at my store works 15 hour days regularly. No exaggeration. It seems like that is what is expected of him. The ETL that he just replaced work ~80 hours a week as well. These guys absolutely work their tails of and still get ripped by our STL. Other ETLs in my store work the regular 10 hour days 5 days a week and never seem to accomplish anything in that time except spread the latest gossip around.

We must work at the same store! Hey do your etls have 4 hour lunches during the midday rush and refuse to leave the office even when a call goes off and every single sales floor team member is on a backup?

Please don't feel too sorry for them yet. Don't forget, that is only starting rate-brand new to Target. Also, I know for a fact they get quarterly bonuses, redcard bonuses, and bonuses for cutting expenses. On top of that, my ETLs use that damn PCard to buy their lunches on Target's dime all the time.
Our ETLs only work 40-50 hours a week. Don't get where this 60 hour BS is coming from. And our ETLs spend maybe 10% of their time on the floor, if that. I have a hard time sympathizing. Sorry.

Sounds like you have a shitty ETL staff.

Quartlerly bonuses, redcard bonuses, and expense cutting bonuses sound great. I guess I'm getting screwed and I need what some of the other ETLs are getting.

Quartlerly bonuses, redcard bonuses, and expense cutting bonuses sound great. I guess I'm getting screwed and I need what some of the other ETLs are getting.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most the only ETLs getting many bonuses are ones who work in Golden stores.
I worked in a Golden store and the ETLs there were not just doing eight and out.
The only way to get the numbers to make the bonuses is to work your ass off.

It seems to be pretty consistent that any of the half way decent ETL LOG work hella long hours.

Last edited:
Please don't feel too sorry for them yet. Don't forget, that is only starting rate-brand new to Target. Also, I know for a fact they get quarterly bonuses, redcard bonuses, and bonuses for cutting expenses. On top of that, my ETLs use that damn PCard to buy their lunches on Target's dime all the time.
Our ETLs only work 40-50 hours a week. Don't get where this 60 hour BS is coming from. And our ETLs spend maybe 10% of their time on the floor, if that. I have a hard time sympathizing. Sorry.

First, ETLs do NOT get quarterly bonuses or RedCard bonuses. Second, there is no benefit or gain for cutting payroll or saving expenses. The goal is to make monthly payroll by 1 hour every month. The expectation is you only schedule what you are given for payroll. Whoever told you about these bogus bonuses was lying to you!

I feel like I should complain about my etls less if you guys have etls who only spend 10% of their time on the floor. They're not doing 60 hrs every week, though... Maybe during 4th q, but not the rest of the year.

I do not wish to argue at all, but that is what I have been told by several ETLs(within my district) in the recent past. Sorry if that doesn't happen at your store. Did not mean to anger anyone with what I know. Each district/group may work differently.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most the only ETLs getting many bonuses are ones who work in Golden stores.
I worked in a Golden store and the ETLs there were not just doing eight and out.
The only way to get the numbers to make the bonuses is to work your ass off.

It seems to be pretty consistent that any of the half way decent ETL LOG work hella long hours.

I'd say out of the 8 ETLs we have maybe 2 of them are considered great by everyone around the store. In my opinion, the rest aren't very good at all.

Hard to believe, but our store is a golden contributor store. We run an absolute skeleton crew year round and our location helps us make ridiculous amounts of sales.

I'd say out of the 8 ETLs we have maybe 2 of them are considered great by everyone around the store. In my opinion, the rest aren't very good at all.

Hard to believe, but our store is a golden contributor store. We run an absolute skeleton crew year round and our location helps us make ridiculous amounts of sales.

Wow, you guys must be working yourself into the ground.
We had a few reasonably decent ETLs, some mediocre, a couple really good ones, one very bad ETL and a decent STL.
But most of all we had a sense of purpose driven by the STL.
The problem was that when the STL left that purpose left with him.

A store can survive without a lot of things but having a bean counter running it who doesn't understand people and what motivates them will go a long way towards killing it.

I made 50K right out of college but that was in 1975

What little college I had didn't get me anywhere but I made that much for a while as a chef in the early 80s.
Of course the owner put too much of the restaurant up his nose and when the place started to lose money he paid some of his club buddies to burn down the competition.
Usually interviews with the ATF are not part of the job description.

Last edited:

You are being dramatic. The bonuses are hardly existent and the hours can be long. The store is only going to look as good as your ETLs are willing to force it, because the payroll being given to stores is not going to get the job done. The ETLs are free payroll that can stay as long as needed to get the job done. If yours don't do that, and the store looks great, then I would like to know how much they are overspending on payroll because I don't see any other way they are getting it all done.

You are being dramatic. The bonuses are hardly existent and the hours can be long. The store is only going to look as good as your ETLs are willing to force it, because the payroll being given to stores is not going to get the job done. The ETLs are free payroll that can stay as long as needed to get the job done. If yours don't do that, and the store looks great, then I would like to know how much they are overspending on payroll because I don't see any other way they are getting it all done.

While I certainly have my frustrations with the young ETLs and their lack of management skills, much of that is not their fault.
Spot is taking advantage of the newbies by bringing them in and using them as fillers like Rock says.
Sure there are many stores where the ETLs may be sitting around but my bet is that they aren't the norm.
Target has very good reasons for paying the way it does.

Like I said...all of my ETLs work about 50 hours a week, tops. They take their two days off a week, we are a 7am process store, so if they are in at 7am, they are never there past 5pm.

We have very low turnover, are always at a 7% comp, generally make sales, don't overspend on payroll ever, are an overall green store, to the point when we got a new GVP, we were a store she did a surprise visit with instead of a scheduled visit like they do with most stores. In fact, the GVP was in the area a couple of weeks ago, and completely passed by our store...figuring there was nothing to see here.

We train the ETLs at our store for other stores. When they get to their new stores, they are blown away how different our team is compared to those at other stores. Apparently overall we are hard workers who manage to convince the rest of the world that we really care...and every ETL who has worked with us said they haven't seen anything like it anywhere else.

We have 2 ETL-Log

Overnight store? One is most likely ETL-Replenishment and the other ETL-Logistics.

Makes sense.

The ETL-Replenishment is basically the same as an ETL-Logistics in most senses. The difference on paper is that Replenishment is "easier" because it is focused on ONLY the "freight" aspects of the job (flow, br) while Logistics was supposed to be also Presentation, Dayside Backroom, Receiving etc... They later added Salesfloor Ops to most overnight stores who absorbed Dayside Backroom, Receiving, and Instocks.... so basically Logistics has plano directly, Replenishment is the same minus that... Most stores hardly recognize that difference.

That comes out to about $15.70 per hour for working 60 hrs a week with NO overtime.

$15.70 seems a decent place to start for a manager with a degree but no experience. But being expected to work 60 hours and not get paid overtime is crazy.
Etls in my building don't work a minute past 50. 5 10 hour days is all that's required in their contract.

When I started as an ETL in 1997 starting pay was 28,000 and they didn't hire fresh out of college grads back then. You had to have experience. So the fact that a 23 year old can make 50,000 right of of college, gives me no sympathy for them whatsoever.

Last edited:
Etls in my building don't work a minute past 50. 5 10 hour days is all that's required in their contract.

When I started as an ETL in 1997 starting pay was 28,000 and they didn't hire fresh out of college grads back then. You had to have experience. So the fact that a 23 year old can make 50,000 right of of college, gives me no sympathy for them whatsoever.
Yeah at 40 hours and probably 50 hours I don't have any sympathy for that kind of money. But 60 hours and I do feel kinda bad (if the ETL is a somewhat decent person).

Only teachers should expect pay below $50k. Honestly $50k isn't much, unless you live in a low COL area. And teachers especially should get paid more.

ETL pay here is low if you factor in 50-60 hour work weeks. Fresh out of college can expect $50k but that's not high enough for those with experience and families.

Realistically, our bonuses for 2 years were around $1000. Low compared to the STL ($20k+). The STL has a lot to gain from Golden Contributor. ETLs get a little increase but not much.

I got quarterly bonuses but it was for being overnight. LOGs and Replens get $1000 a quarter for working overnight. Others only got the yearly bonus. Redcard bonuses or regular quarterly bonuses doesn't sound like something Spot would approve. Maybe they're pedaling money from expense accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back