Archived So, why so many empty shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullselle

Softy
I don't remember Target having so many empty shelves. It seems like it's gotten much worse over these past couple of months. Does anyone know if there's a specific reason it's so bad this year, or has it always been this bad? Maybe it's just my store?

Port strike/work slowdown/stoppage. Been going on since last year before Halloween.

They did a full stoppage today and are planning on doing so again for the three day weekend. It's going to go from bad to worse.

The portland area port is shutting down more, so we're being told by the DTL to just start flexing everything at this point because we have no idea if we'll get half the crap the new planograms are calling for. Should be interesting.

What sort of impact will the port slowdowns have on east coast stores? I figured most of our merchandise would come from the Atlantic ports.

What sort of impact will the port slowdowns have on east coast stores? I figured most of our merchandise would come from the Atlantic ports.
In a Midwest store here; I don't know if its from the slowdowns or if I'm just starting to notice it, but we have been getting discontinued merchandise on the trucks and its been out/d-code long enough for somebody to notice and flex over the location. Plus leadership has decided that filling all outs on PTM aisles and trend runs is really, really important now. Might be unrelated though because our trucks have been pretty good sized last few weeks.

Right around the time I went on leave, we were told that the DCs in our area were cleaning out space to make room to store all the backlogged merch from the ports. The DCs are going to be getting merch that they'll be holding onto until next year because it will come in too late to be relevant. We started getting a ton of stuff that was clearance and salvage straight off the truck, clothes we hadn't sold in months, way off season one spot, NOF and NOP, and all kinds of Dcode.

Pay of up to $50 an hour?

The owners, Mr. McKenna said, had agreed to raise the base hourly wage for senior skilled workers, now $35.68, to $40.68 over five years, an annual increase of about 3 percent. Most workers also receive overtime and shift and skills premiums that take the average current wage to more than $50 per hour, the maritime association said.

:jenna's in the wrong business:

Pay of up to $50 an hour?

The owners, Mr. McKenna said, had agreed to raise the base hourly wage for senior skilled workers, now $35.68, to $40.68 over five years, an annual increase of about 3 percent. Most workers also receive overtime and shift and skills premiums that take the average current wage to more than $50 per hour, the maritime association said.

:jenna's in the wrong business:

But it is not easy work and if its snowing - you out there, raining - you out there. And scale if you screw up - people die.

I'm at a store in the south, so maybe the empty shelves have only just begun for us. I had no idea that this was so bad at the west coast stores!

So...Explain it to me like I'm 5, what's the dispute about?

One of the remaining issues relates to arbitrators who settle disputes when a labor contract is in place. The employer group says the union wants to let either party unilaterally remove local arbitrators at the end of a labor contract. Currently, both sides must agree to fire an arbitrator. Shipping companies say such a change could lead to frequent slowdown tactics because the union could "fire judges who rule against them."

The union accuses shipping companies of "grossly" mischaracterizing the arbitration issue. In a letter to its members, the union president said one of the remaining issues "is the question of retaining arbitrators who have openly engaged in conduct that clearly compromises their impartiality."

From what I can tell it's basically a case of the companies have been consistently getting cases settled in their favor and the unions want to be able to change that.

We were empty on a lot of Valentine's Day see spot this entire season. But then yesterday we got a ton of it in. Good thing it goes clearance tomorrow!

The entire cheese aisle in my store has been empty for the past month because of a contract issue or something like that. Thankfully we have a shoprite upstairs so I tell people to go there.

I had to tell a guest, that we are out of Clearance snow gloves. It's snowing outside, right now.

As I always tell people "buy them before you need them." Or REI is around the corner.

I wish we could trade product, send you guys the repacks of magic gloves and other gloves and we take something of yours. Cause ours are not moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back