Archived So yesterday I pulled an item for a guest... and I haven't been trained for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarZHAYnotTarGET

Former Salesfloor TM
I remember being taught by another TM (who no longer works for Target) back in Dec how to pull things using SUBT in RF Apps. He also told me that they don't want you doing guest pulls unless you're trained, because it can screw up inventory...

Anyway, the guest asked for a piece of furniture, which I scanned and then radioed the backroom to grab. Since they were doing CAF pulls at the time, they ignored me... and I decided to do it myself. I went to the furniture stockroom, found the item, and remembered that SUBT had been switched over to a web app. I opened it, scanned the item UPC, scanned the location barcode in the stockroom, and keyed the quantity I was removing.... and that was that. I went back into item search, made sure the item was gone from the backroom (it was), and gave it to the guest.

It feels like the amount of training I received was woefully inadequate. I told my TL this, and he just kind of... did nothing... he said he would train me on things like this, and it never happened.

(Does SUBT still work in RF Apps?)

Depends on the store... ours doesn't work in RF Apps anymore. As far as training, it's quite laughable.. .in every department. I've worked backroom before and we would find ghosts all of the time, so it's good you knew how to properly subtract it.

My ETL-LOG would have had your head on a platter as well as the backroom's for ignoring you.

My ETL-LOG would have had your head on a platter as well as the backroom's for ignoring you.
Why his head? He did what every TM that can, should do. If BR can't pull somethingand if you have a PDA, you pull it yourself if it doesn't require you using equipment

Anyone who hasn't been trained is not allowed to pull items. It became a massive problem in our store when people decided to do the best they could and do what they thought was correct, leaving us with serious issues in regards to inventory in the backroom. So she declared the backroom closed to anyone who was not trained in pulling items. Of course she was also willing to train TMs to do pulls as needed when she made this declaration.

You little rebel you :p

But really if you know how to do it that's what matters. The whole idea for switching to a web app was to make it easier for sales floor to pull. I prefer the now dead RF app personally.

Our BR is supposed to be closed, but that policy is loosely tied to whether the fixture room door is locked or not. Here's how I see it:
  • If I need any sort of batch filled and I can wait, I let BR handle it. I also try to have all of my batches in before morning BR leaves. If they say that it will be a while and I can get back there, I pull it myself.
  • If a guest needs an item pulled and I have a PDA, I pull it. If I can't find it, I'll call BR.
  • If BR calls out saying they need help pulling CAFs, I'll hop in to help pull.

I was ignored by the entire sales floor team today when I asked for help with the CAF. And the ETL was former Log!

Our SUBT just recently changed over within the last couple of weeks. It was a sad say when this happened.

Now for the rest of your post... All you can do is keep asking for training and hope they give it to you.. But you did a GREAT JOB by taking it upon yourself to help a guest! Thats what all team members should do! If your ever uncomfortable pulling something else and everyone is being a dick, just write down the upc or scan it with the pda for reference to write down later... and get the guest what they want ASAP. You can always let someone know after youve given the guest their stuff... Guest service is always the # 1 priority!

Ask questions and get tips here and there from other team members if you want to know more in the mean time. I did this and now i know just about everything there is to know so i dont have to call for help or ask anyone for anything. Ive found it hard to rely on other team members when it comes to getting things done. I prefer to do things myself. The whole "team aspect" has really gone down hill.. No one wants to take responsibility for anything anymore and no one is ever held accountable..

Again, Great job on helping that guest!

I have trained about half the salesfloor team how to pull an item and to only call the backroom for items that need a wave, a flat(cause its big), or is in the locked stockroom.

To the OP: Sounds like you got your training needed for basic pulls. So you are fine there. Most places no longer have subt in rf apps. Training for most things in target are really simple and straight forward. Salesfloor pull training: scan item, follow steps on screen, give to guest.

Not backroom certified? GET OUT.
I'd like to add to this. If your backroom team isn't responding (try 3 times, spaced out if you can... be reasonable), tell the LOD. Then find someone who is backroom trained and ask them to help you.
I have a great relationship with my backroom, just by asking nicely and telling them they're awesome. I try to write VIBE cars for them as well, but I'm bad with names. :/

Our LOD's never explain it, but PA's in market are able to pull for you too. The only thing I would never pull would be any electronics because it could look Fishy.

What is funny is as a PA, I probably use Subtract more than the entire backroom and LOD's combined.

Here's how I got trained for pulling an item 2 years ago:

Me: How do you pull?
ETL: Just go into RF apps, enter SUBT, enter the DPCI, go to the location, scan it, take what you need and enter that in.

Training literally takes five minutes or less.

I'm not certified, but a TL once showed me how to SUBT. An ETL even showed me how to pull a batch.

I've never got trained but I've pulled items all the time. I've been there 6 years. If anyone yelled at me for pulling something I will just laugh and walk away. I've never been trained to use the wave though so I would never jump on one of those.

I've never got trained but I've pulled items all the time. I've been there 6 years. If anyone yelled at me for pulling something I will just laugh and walk away. I've never been trained to use the wave though so I would never jump on one of those.

This. If the backroom TM is busy pulling CAFs and the item is easily accessible (i.e. it doesn't require a ladder, WAVe, Crown stacker, team lift, or electronics key), I'll pull it myself. Other than that, I call backroom.

This. If the backroom TM is busy pulling CAFs and the item is easily accessible (i.e. it doesn't require a ladder, WAVe, Crown stacker, team lift, or electronics key), I'll pull it myself. Other than that, I call backroom.

Exactly, if you have the correct steps down the guys/girls back there will appreciate you not bugging them for a tube of mascara.

And rarejem I will stay out of your backroom, when your team remember to locate pallets in bulk steel.

Last edited:
Training has been 'learn as you go' for me on the sales floor and when backing up in the check lanes. I rec'd no formal training for pulling items from the backroom. I had no idea there was even a procedure until someone showed me when a guest needed something that wasn't on the floor. I just happened into that one. I've been there almost 2 months and I'm still learning things on the fly, as I go, when things come up. I would really have appreciated some proper training. It's embarrassing to seem clueless in front of a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back