Archived Softline zoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a 4 hour shift 730 to 1130 and I get assigned to zone 3 departments, how long should i spend in each one? I was operator and then all of a sudden they put me on the floor with no training and on my first day of zoning I get yelled at for not being done and only an hour left. I've tried working faster and do the racetrack first and then the inside and I get done but its always 5 minutes before I need to clock out. And my 15 min break doesnt help so can i choose not to take my break so i have more time or is it mandatory? Sorry I'm new at retail...

I usually have myself done with two depts by my 2nd hour but we break ours into 4 depts. With rtw I have myself half done by break or lunch depending on the length of my shift and when I start. Realistically barring massive back up or being pulled for something you should be done with at least one and a half by break. Asants though volume and foot traffic make goal times hard to pin down

Don't skip your break technically you can be fired for doing that
Is it weird then that last night I wasn't scheduled a break? I was there for 4 and a half hours and my ETL's scheduled everyone's breaks and gave us a little card with our break schedule and I didn't get a break?

Also depends on how messy the store is. My first shift zoning it took 4 hours for the section I did because it was so bad and hadn't been done in three days.

Is it weird then that last night I wasn't scheduled a break? I was there for 4 and a half hours and my ETL's scheduled everyone's breaks and gave us a little card with our break schedule and I didn't get a break?

Our schedule writer sometimes forgets to hit the "assign break" button lol

Time depends on a few things:

1. How badly torn up the dept is.
2. Which dept you're working in.
3. How often you get called for guest first or have to stop to help guests.

Make note of the condition of the dept when you enter, keep track of the amount of time you are asked to spend on the check lanes, and always have an explanation for why you didn't finish.

Fold tables, pick up the floor, and zone the racks on the outer perimeter first. Make sure all hangers are facing the same way if possible. If it looks good from the racetrack they will call it good and keep walking. A dept like girls can take an hour to properly zone or more if it is tore up from the floor up but a dept like boys generally only takes 35 to 45 minutes tops. NIT/Infants... egads.... takes me longer than girls & boys because ours isn't often touched as much as is needed.

In my experience, the TMs of today are not required to do the perfect zone we did when I was hired 10 years ago. We had to fold every table and fix every rack by size, color, and style then when the store closed that last bit of time we had to run back through all depts for a final touch up. Our areas were expected to be golden for opening. We haven't hired a TM yet who honestly cares enough to do more than the bare minimum and leadership expectations are far lower than they were back then.

n my experience, the TMs of today are not required to do the perfect zone we did when I was hired 10 years ago. We had to fold every table and fix every rack by size, color, and style then when the store closed that last bit of time we had to run back through all depts for a final touch up. Our areas were expected to be golden for opening. We haven't hired a TM yet who honestly cares enough to do more than the bare minimum and leadership expectations are far lower than they were back then.

You are absolutely correct that our new TMs are not giving a perfect zone....... Hell ------ I had one this week that didn't even KNOW what the term "zone" meant !!!! AND, she's been w/ us for about 4 weeks now!! It went down something like this: I asked "New TM" to zone (not super-zone) the back-half of RTW..... we have about 1 hour before store opening; and we want our store to look good for our Guests. Seems like a simple request, right? I checked in after 30 mins ( because as I passed the dept, I notice it doesn't look any better: still clothes on the floor, clothes flopped on top of fixtures, backwards hangers, empty hangers, foreign items, no organizing whatsoever). I say to "New TM"... so, tell me how far you are in your zoning? She claims she's "almost done" (about 30 fixtures/racks complete). WHAAAAAT ???? *Patience, Sprinkles, patience.* Okay, "New TM"; let's go back to the beginning and really look at our results. Together, we spent 5 minutes on the very first fixture ! I showed her exactly what the expectation is for a zone. She said she was never taught about zoning.
I walked away thinking..... What has she been doing for the last 4 weeks? Then I panicked when I realized she is one of 10 new TMs in the department.
WHO is training these newbies?????? WHERE is the follow-up? I'm the VM (it's not my circus, not my monkeys); but I am happy to step in and help out..... but c'mon...... WHO IS TRAINING THESE NEWBIES???? (here's a hint: you can't train from the TL office).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back