Archived So

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry dude there aren't dumb questions. All of this stuff is completely understandable for someone new. I don't work front end anymore but I did for awhile so I'll try my best and help answer them:

It’s just kind of difficult because 90% of people already have one. And for the people that want to sign up, they have to do it online because no one carries a check with them for the debit card option which most people prefer.
REDcards are a hot topic here because simply put nobody likes them. They are a pain to get people to sign up for and the pressure put in place for people to sign up for them is immense.

Anyways, when a guest says a product is supposed to be 20% off for example and it doesn’t show when I press price inquiry, do I just give it to them? Because that’s what I’ve been doing, sometimes if I have my phone in my pocket I will go on the target app and check, but when I don’t have my phone with me I wish there was a way I could know for sure if the guest is lying or not without having to call for a gsa.
A rule I would always follow is $20 or 20% whichever came first. I would adjust the price based on what the guest says if it was up to 20% of the original price or $20 dollars in total. Target gives us the flexibility to adjust the price for guests to ensure they are satisfied. Price Inquiry on your register should be able to tell the price which is next to the "total" button. Naturally don't hesitate to call your GSTL/GSA for any reason. It's better they have the final say on stuff than you be held liable for something that happens.

And when I do make a price change I always press k2 for guest challenege and I’m not really sure what k1-rain check is for, can someone explain?
Rainchecks are used when there is a price on the item but the item isn't in stock. Rainchecks allow the guest to have the item whenever it is back in stock at the current price point the item was at during the time of issue. These are usually used when an item is on sale.

Also, how strict is the policy for expired coupons. Do you just completely don’t allow them even if it’s from like 3 days ago? I had a customer the other day that purchased break that had an attached coupon, she insisted I use it even though I told her it was expired. And just to keep the customer happy I manually applied the coupon which I don’t think was a big deal cuz it was just 50 cents off and the coupon was from just a couple days ago.
Again best practice is to make the guest happy within reason. Recently expired coupon? Sure why not. Coupon from 2004? Lmao no.

But what bothered me was how damn annoyed the customer got after I told her it was expired. She started ranting on how she wouldn’t know because it was just attached to the bread and so on. As if it’s my fault.
So that means it's one of those coupons that is attached to target food like bread and meat. Technically it is our fault because it should have been updated or something (I'm not too familiar with that stuff) but definitely honor those. Oh and fuck guests

This happened for the first time to me a while ago but when someone is paying with a check why does it sometimes ask them to scan their ID before the check can be fully processed. Usually I process checks without any problem but this elder lady only bought like 40 dollars worth of grocery and she refused to Scan her ID so I had to call the gsa cuz I didn’t know how to take the check out of the machine cuz it was stuck. So the gsa has to void everything so the check could be removed and than the lady paid with cash. Does anyone know why it sometimes asks for ID?
Probably just to verify identity. Maybe some banks require it idk don't worry about it too much.

Any tips on handling more responsibilities?
Master what you can do now and once you do that show initiative to be trained elsewhere. Make sure to bother your leaders to be cross-trained otherwise you'll be set aside but do that only when you excel at what you do now.

And why do I always see cashiers walking around with a paper that tells them everyone’s break times? Where do they get that paper from? And can anyone just take it and tell someone to go on break?
That's the front end break schedule. The opening GSTL/GSA writes that schedule which has everybody on the front end breaks laid out to ensure coverage (better often said than in practice). Usually it is a GSTL/GSA who carries the schedule around and tells cashiers to go on breaks. However at my store cashiers look at it to see when their breaks are or who's break they are covering but it is up to GSTL/GSA discretion. Naturally ASANTS (All stores are not the same, you'll see that acronym thrown around here a lot).

a lot of these questions are pretty store specific, but i'll do my best to answer them.

I’m fast with bagging and all but I need to work on selling red cards since I only sold one on like my 2nd day of working. It’s just kind of difficult because 90% of people already have one. And for the people that want to sign up, they have to do it online because no one carries a check with them for the debit card option which most people prefer.

don't think of it as selling REDcard -- think of it as educating the guest about REDcard. company wide, 25% of guests already have one, and i've heard of stores where almost 1/3 of guests have one. that's one in four! no one is expecting you to be getting REDcards every day, because a record number of our guests are already shopping with one. just make sure you're explaining the benefits to every guest:
  • 5% off in store and online
  • free two day shipping on thousands of items from Target.com, and free standard shipping on the rest
  • extra 30 days to return items
  • REDcard guest exclusive coupons
  • REDcard only sales and items
and letting the guest know they can apply for the debit version online is definitely a good idea!

when a guest says a product is supposed to be 20% off for example and it doesn’t show when I press price inquiry, do I just give it to them? Because that’s what I’ve been doing, sometimes if I have my phone in my pocket I will go on the target app and check, but when I don’t have my phone with me I wish there was a way I could know for sure if the guest is lying or not without having to call for a gsa. And when I do make a price change I always press k2 for guest challenege and I’m not really sure what k1-rain check is for, can someone explain?
A

this is where it starts to depend on your store, but here's what i'd do. if the item is relatively cheap, the guest seems honest, and the deal seems like it could be real, i would just go ahead and honor it. best practice is to just make it right for the guest if the difference is $20/20%, but use judgement here. the example i always use with my cashiers is this: "it's more realistic for a $150 product to go on sale for $130 than it is for a $20 product to go on sale for $1" it is always case by case, but if you have any doubts just call over your GSA. their job is to answer those questions for you.

as for what button you should be pressing, it depends. if the guest says "the sign said it was 5.99", you should press K2 - Guest Price Challenge. if you're honoring a cartwheel deal (the guest's phone died, they mention the signing saying cartwheel, etc) you should do K3 - Missed Cartwheel. don't worry about the other options, because those will generally require a GSA's assistance (depending on your store).

when in doubt, just call over your GSA.

Also, how strict is the policy for expired coupons. Do you just completely don’t allow them even if it’s from like 3 days ago? I had a customer the other day that purchased break that had an attached coupon, she insisted I use it even though I told her it was expired. And just to keep the customer happy I manually applied the coupon which I don’t think was a big deal cuz it was just 50 cents off and the coupon was from just a couple days ago. But what bothered me was how damn annoyed the customer got after I told her it was expired. She started ranting on how she wouldn’t know because it was just attached to the bread and so on. As if it’s my fault.

our policy is to always make it right for the guest. use your judgement, but a coupon from 3 days ago i would 100% honor. you were correct to manually apply the coupon; especially if it was actually attached to the product. i like to joke with the guest and say something like "obviously this is a valid coupon if it's on the product haha". just make the situation right for the guest and keep them happy. if you have any questions about this, talk to your GSA because it can vary by store.

This happened for the first time to me a while ago but when someone is paying with a check why does it sometimes ask them to scan their ID before the check can be fully processed. Usually I process checks without any problem but this elder lady only bought like 40 dollars worth of grocery and she refused to Scan her ID so I had to call the gsa cuz I didn’t know how to take the check out of the machine cuz it was stuck. So the gsa has to void everything so the check could be removed and than the lady paid with cash. Does anyone know why it sometimes asks for ID?

the specific reason it's asking that specific guest for an ID is unknown, but there's no way to go around it. it's based on the guest's checkwriting history and uses information from a third party vendor to make the call. unfortunately, if they don't want to scan their ID you will have to void everything and rering the purchase. there should be a policy posted at every register letting the guest know (might be state by state based on laws, but my state requires it)

I would love to do drive-ups and guest service desk in addition to cashiering.

talk to your GSTL or ETL-GE (Service and Engagement Lead/Leader if you're at a pilot store) and let them know that you're interested in learning other areas. having cashiers who we can send to guest services, or run a drive up is a great asset for the team and most leaders are willing to teach people who are willing to learn.

And why do I always see cashiers walking around with a paper that tells them everyone’s break times? Where do they get that paper from? And can anyone just take it and tell someone to go on break?

this depends on your store, but they're probably carrying a break schedule/daily grid. they were likely given it by a GSA for a reason. if you need one for any reason, you'll be given one by your GSA or GSTL.

Switch23 covered it well. Always call GSTL if you feel uncomfortable with something. I personally only take expired if they’re attached to the item. Otherwise denied even if it was yesterday.

The only thing they missed was IDs will be asked for checks when POS can’t read the address on the check. Ensure you insert it properly and not wrinkled.

The ID thing is actually because Target has no way of verifying that the check will return paid.

It tracks if you have used checks before at the store and usually happens the first time you use a check to make sure it clears.

Just like ID returns at the service desk.

I started out at Target as a cashier back in Feb of 2017 and I'm now Guest Services. My advice for you if you want to become cross trained at Guest Service is to learn everything there is to know about cashiering first. When you need to call over your GSA you'll likely be asking the same questions guests ask GS about, so when you get your answer, make sure you listen and remember. Hardlinesmaster has great advice: know your cashier job as well as you can.

The learning curve at Guest Service also requires learning the register, and as a cashier, you'll already be one step ahead of a new hire learning GS for the first time because you know the various functions on your register and what they'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back