Archived Some questions about pay and work centers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may remember me asking about the meat spot a while back. Well, I didn't get it, I didn't even get asked to interview for it. They gave it to someone they just brought on during holiday season last year. I'm not sure why they talked it up so much to me and then gave it to him without even interviewing me, but he's a nice guy and there's no reason to get mad about it, it's done. However, they now have me doing literally nothing but presentation shifts, which I love quite a bit, and told them I'd keep doing them as long as they kept giving them to me, and would take the next open spot to officially change positions. I do love the work so much more than Salesfloor, but I can't help but think they're just using me as cheaper labor. Is there a point in which they're technically supposed to pay me what presentation makes? Is there anywhere in the store I can find what the pay scales correlate to also? Yes, I'm not technically a presentation team member, but that's all I've done last week, and all I'm doing the next two weeks at least, so It's almost like I am in spirit. Ironically enough, the meat manager often spouts of something about a rule that if you work more than 50% of your shifts in a different area, you're supposed to get that area's pay. Is there actually a rule like this?

Some of you may remember me asking about the meat spot a while back. Well, I didn't get it, I didn't even get asked to interview for it. They gave it to someone they just brought on during holiday season last year. I'm not sure why they talked it up so much to me and then gave it to him without even interviewing me, but he's a nice guy and there's no reason to get mad about it, it's done. However, they now have me doing literally nothing but presentation shifts, which I love quite a bit, and told them I'd keep doing them as long as they kept giving them to me, and would take the next open spot to officially change positions. I do love the work so much more than Salesfloor, but I can't help but think they're just using me as cheaper labor. Is there a point in which they're technically supposed to pay me what presentation makes? Is there anywhere in the store I can find what the pay scales correlate to also? Yes, I'm not technically a presentation team member, but that's all I've done last week, and all I'm doing the next two weeks at least, so It's almost like I am in spirit. Ironically enough, the meat manager often spouts of something about a rule that if you work more than 50% of your shifts in a different area, you're supposed to get that area's pay. Is there actually a rule like this?

Annie would be the best person to pm that question as the rules at my store were a little vague on that concept. I worked in Pharmacy for 3 months straight at 40 hrs per week and my HR refused to give me a pay grade increase. And yes, I say refuse because she was a horrible rat of a human being. At the time I was intending to stay there but certain events came up that made me step down back into the sales floor. I do know that the majority of your work shifts need to be in that department for you to have a footing in demanding the pay.

POG should be N07, so Sales Floor would be a pay cut. You would need to go Backroom Day/Night, Flow, Starbucks/Food Ave, GSA, Electronics, etc.

POG should be N07, so Sales Floor would be a pay cut. You would need to go Backroom Day/Night, Flow, Starbucks/Food Ave, GSA, Electronics, etc.

You misunderstood. I've been salesfloor for a year and a half now. I was told by multiple team leads to apply for meat, and told by the meat TL herself that she'd take me if I wanted, and I did tell her I would. Then they gave the position to somebody else. If I knew they were going to play that game, I'd have applied for the open flow position spots too. They're may still be one or two left, but considering the amount of interviewing they're doing, It's a long shot for that now. they've been giving me nothing but presentation shifts now. 40 hour weeks of presentation shifts. I actually got them to train me quick and dirty for backroom and the motorized equipment just because they've been giving me nothing but presentation and I wanted to be able to pull and backstock on my own. Literally the only difference between me and the actual presentation team members now is that I'm in the system as a "salesfloor team member" on salesfloor pay grade. I'm not complaining. I love presentation and told them that they can keep scheduling me for it as much as they want to, and If a spot opens up I'd really like it. It's a double edged sword though. I know the minute I bring up the pay issue, my presentation shifts will probably "disappear." I suppose if I get to choose what I'm being paid $8.08 for, Plano's still the better option, but in the back of my mind it just bothers me that I'm not getting the standard compensation for the work center.

Last edited:
If their is no opening then they can't officially move you over to presentation. We have people who are trained on presentation help when hours get high. These past few month have been high with hours so they have been scheduled under presentation and they do not get any pay raise. There's one guy who has been scheduled under presentation for a few months now even though he is a hl team member.

I might be wrong but if you are working outside of your normally assigned work center which operates at a higher paygrade, you probably have to work more than half of your weekly hours in that area in order to receive that paygrade. Kind of the same way between Salesfloor TMs are scheduled for Electronics.

I might be wrong but if you are working outside of your normally assigned work center which operates at a higher paygrade, you probably have to work more than half of your weekly hours in that area in order to receive that paygrade. Kind of the same way between Salesfloor TMs are scheduled for Electronics.

Right, I'm saying all of my weekly hours have been presentation, for what will be three weeks when all is said and done. I jokingly told my TL that she needed to tell the STL to open up a spot in presentation for me...

She actually did. He seemed at least interested in the fact that I wanted to transfer, but of course I understand that, realistically, the chances of him just being able to open up a position like that are between 0 and .01%.

You misunderstood. I've been salesfloor for a year and a half now. I was told by multiple team leads to apply for meat, and told by the meat TL herself that she'd take me if I wanted, and I did tell her I would. Then they gave the position to somebody else. If I knew they were going to play that game, I'd have applied for the open flow position spots too. They're may still be one or two left, but considering the amount of interviewing they're doing, It's a long shot for that now. they've been giving me nothing but presentation shifts now. 40 hour weeks of presentation shifts. I actually got them to train me quick and dirty for backroom and the motorized equipment just because they've been giving me nothing but presentation and I wanted to be able to pull and backstock on my own. Literally the only difference between me and the actual presentation team members now is that I'm in the system as a "salesfloor team member" on salesfloor pay grade. I'm not complaining. I love presentation and told them that they can keep scheduling me for it as much as they want to, and If a spot opens up I'd really like it. It's a double edged sword though. I know the minute I bring up the pay issue, my presentation shifts will probably "disappear." I suppose if I get to choose what I'm being paid $8.08 for, Plano's still the better option, but in the back of my mind it just bothers me that I'm not getting the standard compensation for the work center.

you're right - as are everyone else - if there isn't a spot then you'll have to wait. If you are happy with the hours and work let it be. We have a group that always gets scheduled in POG if there are too many hours for the team. There are only a few permanent pog tm at my store.

When I started working in photo, they changed my pay grade after a few months and also gave me backpay as far back as I could prove I had been in photo. I had to request the change though.

Sorry, no advice, but a question for the OP...
How did you start getting presentation shifts after being sales floor tm? Did you ask to cross train, and then help out when they need it?
I'm in this grey area...being flow currently and wanting to try something else. I have been encouraged by several people since the time i started to join POG team but can never seem to understand exactly what must be done. The PTL herself has said, "talk to HR"; and I've been told by others to contact either HR or my TL. I am kind of afraid to ask. Pretty sure there's at least one position open in presentation, but based on the meager raise I just got, the TL's apparent agenda to keep me in the same place, his un-approachability, and the general outlook this company seems to have regarding letting the lowly people "move up", i doubt this would work out. The problem is also that I have no idea how to initiate the process so I can get there.

Sorry because I know i've asked this question before. This was short and simple. Thanks a lot.

Flow and plano are the same paygrade anyways so seriously, just go talk to HR and tell them that you want to learn plano. I've crosstrained to almost every single TM position in my store and that's all I've ever needed to do.

Alright, cool. It has been implied to me that plano pays a bit more than flow, at my store at least, but it could be a ploy to get more people on that team, hahah. The main attraction is that it would practically guarantee 40 hour weeks whereas I'm averaging about 25 a week now. I would also not mind being trained in backroom. Being global seems ideal and I would train for "everything," but am somewhat picky and avoiding front end things like cashier and guest services.

I'm almost positive that BR, plano, and flow are all PG7. I've worked all three and the only time my pay changed is when I went from cashier to flow.

That's strange; I was under the impression that plano and backroom both paid slightly higher than flow. But then again there is a lot that I still do not know.

Sorry, no advice, but a question for the OP...
How did you start getting presentation shifts after being sales floor tm? Did you ask to cross train, and then help out when they need it?

Honestly for me it was accidental. They were looking for extra help for some 4AM shifts and asked me if I wanted to help. I signed on, did them well, and that was actually kind of it for a while. Then around the time I created this thread is when they threw me back on. This go around I really enjoyed it and told them, and even though I know the tl doesn't think I'm the fastest, they know that I try my hardest and do a good job overall. I actually start overnights tomorrow, but got into the routine today so I wouldn't be retarded tired. Definitely talk to your TLs and ETLs though, and let the presentation TLs and ETLs know you're interested. If your store's like mine, they're going to need help every once in a while and it's pretty much guaranteed hours.

That's strange; I was under the impression that plano and backroom both paid slightly higher than flow. But then again there is a lot that I still do not know.
My store makes it sound that way because plano consistenly gets more hours than flow. Our flow team is scheduled 15 hrs vs 40 for the entire plano team. They are definitely both n07, so the rate of pay will not change. But you would be making more because you'd get pretty consistent hours.

I went from flow to plano after christmas. I was brought in the office and asked if I was interested though. It is the same pay grade as flow at my store, which is n07. As far as a consistant 40 hours, some weeks yes, others no way. The only nice thing is if we have no plano hours I work flow or br. For May we have no plano hours at all, so I am a mixture of br and flow with like one or two plano days thrown in their for the next few schedules. If I want my hours on flow I can go in and work a sixth day. Some weeks I do, other weeks I just take the lower hours. The one perk about plano is it is a mon through fri job. I still work about one weekend a month just to keep my hours up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back