Archived Sorry I vanshied! Status Update for The Break Room.Org

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying my hardest to get this back up and rolling. But the reality is it's going to be a hard push. We have lost everything, and once we try to merge what there is here on this board over there I will hit up the Way Back machine to see if we can salvage any interesting posts but I don't think it was able to archive actual threads. Bummer.

Expect some good news in the next few days!

Hey guys. Sorry I vanished.

Here's the low-down.

Back in the day (like very far back in the day, circa 2002) I did a lot of freelance webdesign while I was a youngin and I ended up finding a guy who had his own server and hosting he did and I made him a website in return for free hosting. While that was going on I had the plug pulled on us when they did some spring cleaning and they restored us but we lost some data, that was back in the early days of TBR. But this last time I have absolutely NO idea where the host went or what has happened. I am assuming at this point after many failed attempts at reaching him via AIM and his gmail that he fell off the face of the earth.

Well, a few weeks prior to the host vanishing my Hard Drive on my PC died. I did a regular update of some Windows files and my computer locked up and sat frozen for a full night at the same percentage, so I tried to reboot only to find the system startup files corrupt, and when I went to repair that the entire OS and HD died, my BIOS was unable to read the hard drive and did not recognize it. So that forced me to buy a new one.

After that cluster I forgot all about going back in and making some updates of all of my sites since I had them on my old Hard Drive and by the time we needed to do one it was too late.

So, I have absolutely no data from the old forum, nor do I have any of the old files for the website. I am now starting from scratch.

I went ahead and purchased a hosting plan from a legitimate hosting company that I have done work with in the past on other clients websites. I am currently in the process of configuring a new forum, but the downside to that is it's newer then the one this is running and I am having a hard time trying to get the database tables to take. So, the grim reality is we might be a flat out fresh new start for a 3rd time.

I am working with Formina Sage and I respect the fact that he took his time and energy to put together a little place on the net to hold what we could together until I figured something out. Hopefully we can get something together in the next day or two otherwise I will just launch a fresh clean new start.

In the mean time, if anyone has any problems with anything shoot me an email at scram[at]thebreakroom[dot]org

Thanks for sticking around guys.
-Zac

May I recomend making Scram an admin here?

I'm sure being an admin would give him extra tools that would help facilitate merging these two sites.

this is my first post here, so sorry if i sound a little b#tchy...

but ...why move it again? we are just starting to rebuild and there is already lots of helpful info and we need to lose it all? for lurkers like me (I've been here since mid June and have learned lots) there is great info here...

Because the search engines are already pointing to the .org, and this server is being hosted on a PC, not a dedicated server.

It's going to be painful to move, I know. But it's keeping the future in mind..

this is my first post here, so sorry if i sound a little b#tchy...

but ...why move it again? we are just starting to rebuild and there is already lots of helpful info and we need to lose it all? for lurkers like me (I've been here since mid June and have learned lots) there is great info here...

A dedicated hosting platform is going to be more reliable than than FS's personal server(although it has run amazingly well so far). It will be able to handle more traffic should we need it as well as have a guaranteed uptime.

That is beside the point Targeteer, it's being hosted at home on a home connection, nothing that is going to handle future loads.

May I recomend making Scram an admin here?

I'm sure being an admin would give him extra tools that would help facilitate merging these two sites.

Duly noted, however that would be more of a formality than anything, because even if he had adminship he couldn't export database tables.

Because the search engines are already pointing to the .org, and this server is being hosted on a PC, not a dedicated server.

A dedicated hosting platform is going to be more reliable than than FS's personal server(although it has run amazingly well so far). It will be able to handle more traffic should we need it as well as have a guaranteed uptime.

didn't fs say they had a new server? right here i think http://www.thebreakroom.us/showpost.php?p=2511&postcount=15

That is beside the point Targeteer, it's being hosted at home on a home connection, nothing that is going to handle future loads.

I can't sleep....

While it's true I have a legit server at home, it's still sitting on my home connection. Obviously, if I put the site on it I would ship it to a datacenter - you guys are making me sound like I don't know how to scale a website... However seeing as 1. Traffic loads have been very manageable so far, the site hasn't required the power or bandwidth of a server sitting in a datacenter. And 2. Scram has plans to rehost the site that would be unnecessarily expensive and short-lived.

Scram, it's good to see you posting again. Formina's done an awesome job replicating your original as much as possible. Some things may be lost but you laid a good foundation & Formina has been rounding up the gang so we can keep it going.

Scram, you have help some many folks including me, do & understand spot better. Life is a rollercoaster with ups & downs. What matters the most is, you have a created a forum that resulted in making of a great team.
As a team, we rebuild the info again. I wish I had more computer skills to help out on server & code stuff.

Through efforts of formica sage, He has become the phoenix that rises from the ashes.

A big thanks to you & fs!:thumbsup:
My beer rises & salutes the both of you!

My vote is for scram to be an admin!

Could that link be redirected to this link?

Welcome back, Scram. Glad to see you posting. Thanks for the update. I can sympathize with you on the hard drive issue as I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. :(

Hey guys,

I have quite a bit of experience with MySQL. If you need some advice or just want to bounce some ideas off of me, just let me know!

I run a forum myself and we have been able to move databases throughout several different hosts.

As long as you run the same forum software, moving the actual database is not a problem. Some slight modifications would be needed such as site urls and directory placements but other then that it shouldn't be a problem.

My site's run vBulletin so it's a simple as exporting a database, and importing it into the new site.

Scram, you have help some many folks including me, do & understand spot better. Life is a rollercoaster with ups & downs. What matters the most is, you have a created a forum that resulted in making of a great team.

I agree with you on that. If we all met in real life and were the only employees of our own Target, we would never complain about other workers, would always get hours, and would love our job so much more because everyone is so knowledgeable in their own area.

I run a forum myself and we have been able to move databases throughout several different hosts.

As long as you run the same forum software, moving the actual database is not a problem. Some slight modifications would be needed such as site urls and directory placements but other then that it shouldn't be a problem.

My site's run vBulletin so it's a simple as exporting a database, and importing it into the new site.

Unfortunately it's not that simple in this case, considering he has installed vb 4.1.x and this site is running 3.6.x

All the templates are stored as db tables and the templates have gone through a complete overhaul from version 3 to 4. There would be have been errors galore trying to perform various types of exports/imports.

Hard drive failures is why I have always backed up everything on either CD, DVD or Blu-ray depending on the size of the backup of the site structure and database dumps.

This site and my others are backed up quad-redundantly - the server's RAID array, a local NAS, DVD, and offsite.

Paranoia much? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back