Specialty Sales to take over home and seasonal

This is how the layout is at my store.

GM1- Unload, Chem, Personal Care and Pets

GM2- Stat, Office, Kitchen, Home, Plastics, Decor, Beds, Bath, Furniture, Home Improvement, Hearth and Hand and Baby HL

GM3- Toys, Sport, Auto, Luggage SSS, Checklane end caps and Seasonal

Comsumables- market, food ave and Starbucks

SS- Style, Cosmetics and Tech.

So under this new structure the SSTL will gain seasonal and Hearth and Hand? I think that is extremely reasonable as all of the areas they currently have are very self sufficient with a TM or VM handling basically the entire workload.

I think the GM3 should at the very least take Baby HL. I think they should take it anyways as GM2 has so much anyways.

GM2- Stat, Office, Kitchen, Home, Plastics, Decor, Beds, Bath, Furniture, Home Improvement, Hearth and Hand and Baby HL

So under this new structure the SSTL will gain seasonal and Hearth and Hand? I think that is extremely reasonable as all of the areas they currently have are very self sufficient with a TM or VM handling basically the entire workload.

I think the GM3 should at the very least take Baby HL. I think they should take it anyways as GM2 has so much anyways.
You guys are basically off-recommendation for GM breakout with that headcount, which is why it might break up strangely with the new structure. GM1 is supposed to take all Essentials but Baby and Presentation transition sets, GM2 is Home/Seasonal and RevLog, GM3 is Inbound, Hardlines, Baby, Checklanes and Bullseye.

Stores were allowed to change it to fit store needs better, but recommended not breaking Home/Seasonal into multiple areas, ex. Giving Domestics to one TL and Dec Home to another.

What is inferred by the new job descriptions from what I've seen, Specialty is taking all of Home/Seasonal, not just H&H and Sea. It doesn't say anything like "VM enhanced areas" or anything like that.

If the info posted above is true that SS gets all of Home & Seasonal, then I'd imagine you essentially lose the GM2 position and it becomes a SSTL most likely flipping Baby HL to your current GM3 and seasonal going to the new SSTL.

I'm really struggling to see how this would work at my store as we don't have a SSETL and only have 2 GMTLs. We've earned a SSETL and a 3rd GMTL based on volume, but have never been granted the positions. Maybe we'll add new positions?

You guys are basically off-recommendation for GM breakout with that headcount, which is why it might break up strangely with the new structure. GM1 is supposed to take all Essentials but Baby and Presentation transition sets, GM2 is Home/Seasonal and RevLog, GM3 is Inbound, Hardlines, Baby, Checklanes and Bullseye.

Stores were allowed to change it to fit store needs better, but recommended not breaking Home/Seasonal into multiple areas, ex. Giving Domestics to one TL and Dec Home to another.

What is inferred by the new job descriptions from what I've seen, Specialty is taking all of Home/Seasonal, not just H&H and Sea. It doesn't say anything like "VM enhanced areas" or anything like that.
We don’t have gm3
Gm 1 tl1 has hba , otc personal care and baby, gm1 tl2 paper, pets, chem , plastics. Gm2 Tl1 stat /office , kitchen small appliances home improvement gm2 Tl 2 home, bath , beds , gm 2 tl3 toys entertainment, sport and sea . Inbound Tl 1&2 only own unload and receiving.

If this is true, then goodbye to my current TL! Let the party begin!!
yeah GIF

We don’t have gm3
Gm 1 tl1 has hba , otc personal care and baby, gm1 tl2 paper, pets, chem , plastics. Gm2 Tl1 stat /office , kitchen small appliances home improvement gm2 Tl 2 home, bath , beds , gm 2 tl3 toys entertainment, sport and sea . Inbound Tl 1&2 only own unload and receiving.
The "GM1/2" thing is just supposed to denote which TL does which areas and make it easy to see how many you have. You have a GM3, they just don't call it that at your store for whatever reason. Hardlines (toys/sports/entertainment/etc.) Are all GM 3 for most stores for example.

It is going to a rough one and it depends on volume and headcount. Specialty will own style, beauty, tech, stationary, kitchen, dec home, domestics ( so like bed, bath, rugs, candles, etc), storage (plastics, organizers etc) and rear and mini seasonal

I'm assuming it's just a realignment, so the GM Experts and GMTLs in the affected areas would become Consultants and SSTLs and report to the ETL-SS instead. I doubt Specialty would gain areas without gaining the people in those areas.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out at stores that have Inbound Experts who own some of the affected areas as well.

Especially stores with overnight processes. When would that TM ever see their ETL? Or even the SSTLs.

Some of these areas belong to differenteaders in my building. I'm at a Super Target and we have ETL food plus 4 food TL so GM doesn't do that. One GM ETL and 3 TL, SSETL plus myself and one other style TL. We are running ragged in style as is, I run tech and my counterpart runs beauty. I'm nervous about the logistics of thus change. We have one GMTL that is on the opposite weekend from me who runs POG, Seasonal, Stationery, HIPA, plastics/Storage etc. If he gets absorbed to us he'll need to switch weekends because I'm the only specialty leader on my weekend rotation and I cannot overestimate how much hands on work and leadership style is at my store. I can see maybe absorbing Baby. That should honestly be ours, its requires more specialty knowledge. If the GM leader over domestics/home/toys etc is ours that's fine, we're on the same weekend and can divide things up ok. Maybe. I don't know, this is just a lot.

Especially stores with overnight processes. When would that TM ever see their ETL? Or even the SSTLs.
If your process is overnight I doubt that inbound are dbos. My store went back to overnight 1 etl and 2 Tl they don’t own salesfloor . Just unload & receiving .

I'm assuming it's just a realignment, so the GM Experts and GMTLs in the affected areas would become Consultants and SSTLs and report to the ETL-SS instead. I doubt Specialty would gain areas without gaining the people in those areas.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out at stores that have Inbound Experts who own some of the affected areas as well.
If you’re a true overnight store your SS etl and GM etl aren’t accountable for truck push, inbound ETL owns the push aspect so those TMs all report to them regardless of what area they push

If you’re a true overnight store your SS etl and GM etl aren’t accountable for truck push, inbound ETL owns the push aspect so those TMs all report to them regardless of what area they push
No inbound overnight do not own push . You are overnight due to the volume . Overnight owns unload , receiving, a&a breakout and cosmetics breakout . No push or aaleafloor

No inbound overnight do not own push . You are overnight due to the volume . Overnight owns unload , receiving, a&a breakout and cosmetics breakout . No push or aaleafloor
Yes they do. If you’re a true HQ classified overnight store where you have Inbound etl, the Gm etl is only responsible for day time processes like OFOs, fulfillment, Pog. If you’re an inbound etl responsible for the inbound TMs that are responsible for pushing the trailer, you as the inbound ETL are accountable for the trailer push, it’s the reason overnight TMs are inbound TMs, hours are allocated in mytime under inbound and the trailer dashboard lists GM push time under inbound not GM.

The Reddit r/target moderator has confirmed this with his store leadership. Supposedly the announcement will be tomorrow.

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
This. I was told to wait until tomorrow’s announcement before making arrangements for my next leadership move.

Yes they do. If you’re a true HQ classified overnight store where you have Inbound etl, the Gm etl is only responsible for day time processes like OFOs, fulfillment, Pog. If you’re an inbound etl responsible for the inbound TMs that are responsible for pushing the trailer, you as the inbound ETL are accountable for the trailer push, it’s the reason overnight TMs are inbound TMs, hours are allocated in mytime under inbound and the trailer dashboard lists GM push time under inbound not GM.
I am a true overnight store with inbound etl and 2 Tl . Inbound does not own push . Sort and secondary sort . Not stocking .

Attachments

• 01B86CFE-8A37-45E1-A350-FB354510B81B.jpeg
    01B86CFE-8A37-45E1-A350-FB354510B81B.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 67
I am a true overnight store with inbound etl and 2 Tl . Inbound does not own push . Sort and secondary sort . Not stocking .
Wtf do you guys do all night then lmao? Unloading trailers doesn't take 8 hours and if you had enough trucks to take that time up, you'd still have to push freight to clear your line

Wtf do you guys do all night then lmao? Unloading trailers doesn't take 8 hours and if you had enough trucks to take that time up, you'd still have to push freight to clear your line
We take double and triples .Ans we do 2 trucks in 4 hours . We help pull and push but by no means we are responsible for the puah. P1 has 2 Tl 8 tm, p2 has 3 Tl and 8 team . We have a pog team so why would I be responsible for their workload ? You think inbound does only truck ? There is a lot to do in receiving to give to the inbound team to do . If anything I would have my team push A&A over any freight because style never gives us all the metros and z-bars back so if I want my process to be done the next night that’s what I would go for same as cosmetics .
My response was to the comment that true overnight owns push which overnight does not own push. We support but we don’t own it.

Hours are allocated to department/areas by activities.

Inbound is allocated x amount of hours to take care of unload and any other events associated with trailer unloading.

GM areas have hours allocated for activities like push, sales planners, revisions, and whatever else is required.

The confusion comes in when leadership co mingles allocated hours between their areas of responsibility. You get absolutely zero accountability as to the process time to complete a task. Often they play favorites to areas at the detriment of the others (rob Peter to pay Paul).

When inbound is finished with their responsibilities, they can go and push freight until their shift is over or leave. If hours are available, they can work in other areas.

The mistake is made when these changes are not reconciled to the schedule to reflect hours used in that area.

Hours are treated global within the store which directly contradicts the allocation model.

Last edited:
I am a GM etl in a true overnight store and I can tell you I’m not responsible for the trailers. Obviously my team supports abs wraps up anything left over from the night but definitely not the main purpose of my gm team

Attachments

• CAB32DA5-70B7-4E28-A099-46AD8CC3828E.jpeg
    CAB32DA5-70B7-4E28-A099-46AD8CC3828E.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 32
Back