Specialty Sales to take over home and seasonal

That was a port issue. No amount of planning other than trying to obtain auxiliary temporary warehousing could help that situation.

I seriously doubt if there was any short term warehousing available either given our size.

The day to day might be suspended temporarily, but unless they come up with an entirely new process, it's here to stay.
This might be true where you are, but our whole group is going back to the old school mindset, think 'speed is life'. Unload times are expected to be under 1 1/2 hours regardless of truck size, push complete before 11 at the latest, even 141s are going away to be replaced by a priority fill option (which are the modernized version of autofills).

The people responsible for the start of 'modernization' are gone, and the focus is being put back into efficiency. Unload quick, push fast, fill the floor, zone as you go, go home.

This might be true where you are, but our whole group is going back to the old school mindset, think 'speed is life'. Unload times are expected to be under 1 1/2 hours regardless of truck size, push complete before 11 at the latest, even 141s are going away to be replaced by a priority fill option (which are the modernized version of autofills).

The people responsible for the start of 'modernization' are gone, and the focus is being put back into efficiency. Unload quick, push fast, fill the floor, zone as you go, go home.

The port issue pretty well affected the whole country and will continue for years to come.

We even leased container ship(s). These are multi year leases and are somewhat expensive given our needs.

Target is one of the largest importers in the country. We even have dedicated import warehouses for buffering purposes. These are some the largest warehouses in the country. They cannot handle the ebb and flow of freight at times.

Like I wrote earlier somewhere, "modernization" is not going anywhere. It's Target's inventory control system/process.

The part of our business that's causing unexpected problems is the rapid growth of flexible fulfillment. A lot of resources have been diverted to this program. It is very expensive to operate out of a retail store vs a warehouse.

Add inflation and labor shortages, it just going to be tough for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I hope when we go to priority pulls it will mean we can backstock in cases again. Up and down ladders several times is so inefficient.
We piloted priority pulls - we could NOT backstock cases. The process was a fail for us so maybe that will be a tweak for the overall roll-out.

Back-stocking take so long with the detailed areas. Which i understand why we are doing it this way but it's a pain none the less. I miss our old pull logic.

We pull oos first. Then pull the commodity areas. And repull oos at end of night. Usually only a few pulls.

We piloted priority pulls and they finally told us to go back to one for ones. Irs a struggle catching back up now but priority is a disaster
Why didn't priority pulls work? Backroom too full - since not pulling as much?

Why didn't priority pulls work? Backroom too full - since not pulling as much?
When we started priority pulls we were doing 100% of OFOs a day or nearly that. Our backroom was sub 15k units and our on hands were nearly perfect. There was far less to zone because essentially the salesfloor would be full and the pulls were only slightly bigger then priority pulls. The idea was that it would take less time to pull because its only what is priority but what they didnt realize was that zoning takes far longer and its much easier to correct on hands with a clean backroom and full salesfloor. We had about 15-20k units in the backroom and now we are at nearly 100k. Granted all these extra freight pushes did not help and the hours would of meant maintaining it would be nearly impossible, but we went from a honestly nearly perfect backroom and inventory count to disaster in a month.

I always liked OFO better because the time you would have spent pulling something forward at the end of the night zoning is just replaced with filling the empty spot instead. Same result but less work on the long run.

So about 3 months in how are stores adapting? Mine they focus soo much on style they don’t even look or have plans for home especially with all of the freight that’s coming in.

So about 3 months in how are stores adapting? Mine they focus soo much on style they don’t even look or have plans for home especially with all of the freight that’s coming in.
SD gave home and seasonal back to GM along with the hours that got reallocated to specialty for the home/seasonal change. Specialty sales ETL is/was (she's quitting) trash and has no ability to plan. Would make home/seasonal team members and team lead help out in style then expect GM to pick up the slack when we had 5 team members for all of essentials and hardlines with 6 hour shifts each, but style and beauty wasn't even getting caught up. We're a tier 1 BTC school so giving specialty home and seasonal during our busiest season would've been a disaster anyway with the amount of freight and doubles we'll get.

Ours are trying but there is truly no rhyme or reason to any of it. No one really seems to have an actual space anymore. For the most part everything is still getting done but it's chaos due to still being in a remodel and we're relying on luck.

Mostly business as usual at my store. All of the Home & Seasonal DBOs and one GMTL were just reclassified to Style TMs and an SSTL. We still basically just do what we did before. We're struggling with all of the Home & Seasonal freight. With the new divide GM won't get sent over to help anymore (not that they actually have time or helped much before anyways.) Leadership is looking at ways to better integrate A&A and H&S to provide coverage where needed.

On a personal note, I'm moving from H&S to A&A and that NEVER NEVER EVER would have happened before the change.

I'm very new in role as a Specialty ETL, in a store with blood-red metrics. The home/seasonal side of my business is doing great; we actually come clean every day. A&A is what is killing me at the moment. Too much freight, too little hours, etc.

Back