Specialty Sales to take over home and seasonal

Instead of yelling at them, show them how schematics work. I can't believe the number of people that are sent out to pick that have no idea how a planogram works or what the numbers on the screen actually mean.
I always stop to explain that to the new opu/ flex/ general newbies. This number means how many 2 foot, which shelf and where on the shelf.

No TM has a designated area anymore. They are put wherever the freight is heaviest that day in theory to ensure the truck comes clean. With the exception of style (at least at my store) which is steadily piling up on pallets again. TMs working the line are scheduled under inbound, TMs working freight are scheduled under flow.
So right back to how it used to be.

Modernization as we knew it is dead. Everything but the unload process is gone in my area. No more dbos.
Oh no it is not. Modernization is Target's inventory management control program. Everything is managed through this. Our systems are elements of modernization.

You leadership sounds like mine. When hearing about this changes said the same thing. The worse thing, they are going back somewhat to old ways. When implementing changes.

No TM has a designated area anymore. They are put wherever the freight is heaviest that day in theory to ensure the truck comes clean. With the exception of style (at least at my store) which is steadily piling up on pallets again. TMs working the line are scheduled under inbound, TMs working freight are scheduled under flow.
We're going the same direction. I foresee a lot of problems given we cannot manage a schedule nor workload now.

Our leadership doesn't manage. They don't believe in preparation. They're of the philosophy that we'll "just muscle through it."

Backroom is woefully disorganized. We have things back stocked everywhere.

A "RED FLAG" is when you see your salary management doing your job due to not having resources.

Contrary to what a lot of you think, seeing your ETL's doing TM's work on a constant basis is akin to a "dead canary in a coal mine." It's not what they are there for.

There are always exceptions. However it should be inconsistent and rare.

Not sure if I posted this in the correct forum

This started as a rumor but now rumors have been confirmed but no additional information. Does anyone have any information on Home and Seasonal becoming a part of Specialty Sales?
I just started but I know at my store it is. I’ll be a part of Specialty Sales and in home. The transition actually happened during my interview process.

No more dbos ? What do you mean?
We schedule tms to do push, zone, reshop, pulls, pricing, plano. No tm is in charge of any area anymore its all scheduled individually. Takes me an hour a day to do all the math and planning to make sure everything's covered if not more.

Oh no it is not. Modernization is Target's inventory management control program. Everything is managed through this. Our systems are elements of modernization.

You leadership sounds like mine. When hearing about this changes said the same thing. The worse thing, they are going back somewhat to old ways. When implementing changes.
Inventpry control. They have no idea what that means anymore otherwise we wouldnt have containers full of product were are essentially just holding for the dc because they dont have space. I agree that all parts of modernization arent going away but our day to day is gone.

We schedule tms to do push, zone, reshop, pulls, pricing, plano. No tm is in charge of any area anymore its all scheduled individually. Takes me an hour a day to do all the math and planning to make sure everything's covered if not more.
Yeah, I'm not sure about GM, maybe they have some people dayside who cover the same areas most of the time, but I can tell you that Style has nothing close to DBOs anymore. Most of our daytime hours are used for breakout and truck push. Pricing is not done consistently and is often fudged. Lots of stuff unmarked, lots of missed salvage in all areas.

Planograms? Basics in all departments are horrible, they haven't been set properly in ages. Mens basics makes me want to cry, I just try to avert my eyes most of the time.

Yeah, I'm not sure about GM, maybe they have some people dayside who cover the same areas most of the time, but I can tell you that Style has nothing close to DBOs anymore. Most of our daytime hours are used for breakout and truck push. Pricing is not done consistently and is often fudged. Lots of stuff unmarked, lots of missed salvage in all areas.

Planograms? Basics in all departments are horrible, they haven't been set properly in ages. Mens basics makes me want to cry, I just try to avert my eyes most of the time.
My style team has been struggling too

I think every store is struggling with style , and I’m not sure how other stores are but style at my store has a very high turnover due to the amount of workload they get on a daily basis .
I honestly don't know what they are thinking. Style needs consistency. It's an area that needs constant zoning, filling, and working of reshop. When I left yesterday the RTW tables looked like someone dumped piles of laundry on them.

Funny or maybe not so funny depending on how you look at it- any other OG TMs remember a time when not only was style freight worked out everyday but the only backstock was basics & folded items? All hanging merch fit onto the salesfloor. 🤯

Funny or maybe not so funny depending on how you look at it- any other OG TMs remember a time when not only was style freight worked out everyday but the only backstock was basics & folded items? All hanging merch fit onto the salesfloor. 🤯

I remember when we had a hard rule against backstocking shoes. Now we're setting up wacos to backstock hanging shoes. What's next? Actually locating hanging backstock?

My store still has DBOs. We're doubling down on the concept. TLs are now not supposed to use DBOs to help in other areas until everything is done in their own area for the day. Supposedly this is to determine exactly who can and who cannot manage their daily workload so there can be more accountability.

Me and anothrt co worker were just talking about this man we miss those days 😭 we could purge the whole backroom of almost everything monthly. Good times. We also always finished befoee hardlines and had to help them every night. Ah good times

I remember when we had a hard rule against backstocking shoes. Now we're setting up wacos to backstock hanging shoes. What's next? Actually locating hanging backstock?

My store still has DBOs. We're doubling down on the concept. TLs are now not supposed to use DBOs to help in other areas until everything is done in their own area for the day. Supposedly this is to determine exactly who can and who cannot manage their daily workload so there can be more accountability.
I ran my team in non-essentials exactly like this. I believed that the first line of defense when something was too much for a DBO was myself as the leader, and I kept everyone else in their own areas while I was the one assessing what was going on in the area with the TM. I ended up being pretty successful with it. I was also very aggressive with getting ahead on workload, and kept tabs on everything I could in all 10 of my businesses (to the point where I was doing mental checklists similar to the security report for multiple department classes for every item coming in on the truck and leaving through POS).

The biggest issue we had was that Essentials was always working from behind, never planned past today, and frequently needed support with almost every process.

Last edited:
Inventpry control. They have no idea what that means anymore otherwise we wouldnt have containers full of product were are essentially just holding for the dc because they dont have space. I agree that all parts of modernization arent going away but our day to day is gone.

That was a port issue. No amount of planning other than trying to obtain auxiliary temporary warehousing could help that situation.

I seriously doubt if there was any short term warehousing available either given our size.

The day to day might be suspended temporarily, but unless they come up with an entirely new process, it's here to stay.

We've had a team member do this before. Not everything but just certain items of one particular department. While it could be useful in some situations, I think it would create more problems than it would solve.

Back