Archived Stairs and no disabled access

Status
Not open for further replies.
But so do TM's have to run between floors for call buttons, etc? Or are you assigned one level? And are there registers on both floors? Because backups could take a while if they're all the way upstairs and have to go down the elevator?

It's not that chaotic. Two level stores are usually higher volume so they have a lot more payroll. We had two fitting rooms, two sets of cashier's, two hardlines.

You are assigned a floor for salesfloor. If they call for backup they will say we need backup on level 1 or level 2. We had both an escalator and an elevator.

My first store was a reto-fit that was placed on the property of a former retailer. Except for the ETL/HR all ETL offices and the TL desks were on the second floor. The break room and all lavatories were on the ground sales floor level. We also had an elevator to go between the two floors but almost everyone used the stairs.

I’m in a store with offices and breakroom upstairs. However we do have one office downstairs that is able to accommodate those who can not climb stairs in the event they need to store stuff. Time clock access is upstairs and in the Backroom.

An older store I worked at had the BR/receiving area on the lower level & a freight elevator.
Upper floor had a smallish freight area for whatever rolled off the elevator.

I have a question.

For 2-floor stores, is there an LOD for each floor?

Ask HR what accommodations can be made for you. They may be able to let you take your breaks in the GSTL office and keep your belongings in a safe space on the 1st floor.
Totally unrelated, but how do 2 level stores even work? Is the backroom 2 levels as well, with certain stockrooms on certain levels? Are there two balers/compactors? How do you bring flats up and down between floors? Are TM's assigned one level to work on per shift, or do they have to run between floors to answer call buttons? How does Flow work? Since you obviously have to unload everything on the lower level? If anyone has any knowledge of two level stores I'd apperciate it <.<
Actually I would kinda think you have a 20 foot tall backroom. but that is me

We have a really old store in my district like that, but I'm not sure if they have an elevator or not.

I thought there's not much that can be done if the building was like that before the ADA?

That is clearly illegal though.
Sure there is. Its called a lawsuit setting out of court that leads to a forced renovation.

Oh man I would give anything for a complete renovation of my store! Our roof leaks so much idk how it hasnt collapsed yet. One of my co workers likes to joke about google maps cause the real world view of our roof looks like a dalmation from all the patchwork -_- not to mention there is no air flow cause the ventilation system never works. There is a reason our poor sft has the highest number of work orders in our district. . .and they auite every three weeks after getting the position. Sounds like our building is worlds behind sadly. I wasnt sjre about the laws when it came to older buildings thanks for all the input ^_^

That is clearly illegal though.

Thats what I thought but they arent wrong about no wheelchair access so I thought there was some grandfather rule that supercedes the ada? Like with the current team members that brought this question to mind have been taking their lunch and breaks other places than the breakroom since they cant climb the stairs to get up there. They arent allowed to sit in cafe since it looks bad to guests so they either go out to the smoking corner bench or their vehicle or a store nearby to sit :/ I feel like its just wrong buts its been going on so long I thought it was some loophole they got. I know like other disabled tms we have had they have fired due to under performance even though the things they expected werent realiztic to their disabilities. Alot of it has to do with how ill equipped our building is I think and the fact my managemant team doesnt want to deal with them

Thats what I thought but they arent wrong about no wheelchair access so I thought there was some grandfather rule that supercedes the ada?
No, I don't think that has anything to do with the ADA. That's an Equal Opportunity violation. If the person is otherwise completely qualified, they can't deny employment as long as reasonable accommodations can be made. There's nothing so special on the 2nd floor that can't possibly be also put somewhere that's wheelchair accessible.

Someone with actual law or HR experience can correct me if I'm off.

First store I was in had the upstairs break room and offices. No elevator. Whenever there was food in the break room, someone had to get food for team members that were unable to climb the stairs. Then they ate in Food Ave....alone. I always thought that was BS. If she brought her lunch someone had to take it upstairs along with her coat. She kept her purse in the GSTL office. Another store I was at had the offices and break room upstairs but did have an elevator, a nice one. I actually like the offices upstairs. It gives you a birdseye view of the store and you can see somethings really easy (rack alignment for instance) Of course there were a few ETLS that would simply sit by the windows on their closing night, barking orders from up above!

No, I don't think that has anything to do with the ADA. That's an Equal Opportunity violation. If the person is otherwise completely qualified, they can't deny employment as long as reasonable accommodations can be made. There's nothing so special on the 2nd floor that can't possibly be also put somewhere that's wheelchair accessible.

You are 100% correct and the person in the wheelchair could go to the local ADA office and file a complaint if they were told this is the reason they weren't hired.
Of course, they weren't told this was was the reason so they can't and Spot gets to continue treating people with disabilities as second class citizens (well at least at that store).

You would think wouldnt you. Our store needs to be torn down and rebuilt no joke. It a great location its just a really run down building. Its like trying to keep a lame workhorse working. Im sure it will happen at skme point though.
It depends on area. Check on how many stores are around you & your sales.

I've been in a store that's close to 50 years old and still in its original building. It seems to be held together ok, and definitely isn't in danger of being closed.

Some of our offices still have the windows in offices that use to be able to look down but in remodels, that access has been blocked as the floor walls were changed so that they no longer are seen to guests and I think the windows were heavily tinted too

I've been in a store that's close to 50 years old and still in its original building. It seems to be held together ok, and definitely isn't in danger of being closed.

Ours is nearly 40 years old and despite being the lowest volume of the area, there doesn’t appear to be any plans to close the building. We own the building and property. Despite some high costs to fix some aging assets; we don’t have high overhead.

This. We have had to hire 60 dollar an hour interpreters for deaf applicants.

Now a store can turn an applicant down for whatever reason. Its hard to prove you discriminated against someone but if someone is dumb enough to say, we can't take you because of your disability. Yes that would absolutely be an ADA violation, there's a reason leaders have to take the online class and quiz once a year.

This. We have had to hire 60 dollar an hour interpreters for deaf applicants.

Now a store can turn an applicant down for whatever reason. Its hard to prove you discriminated against someone but if someone is dumb enough to say, we can't take you because of your disability. Yes that would absolutely be an ADA violation, there's a reason leaders have to take the online class and quiz once a year.

Ah ok so they can just say the person doesnt fit the needs of the business and leave it at that? Didnt know leaders took a quiz on that sort of thing thats interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back