Archived Stairs and no disabled access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah ok so they can just say the person doesnt fit the needs of the business and leave it at that? Didnt know leaders took a quiz on that sort of thing thats interesting

Happens all the time.
I work for DVR (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) and we help people who have disabilities get back into the workforce.
Part of what we do is make sure those people have the exact skills and abilities to get the job they are applying for.
We are basically creating the perfect job applicant that would only require a few reasonable accommodations and that person would be a loyal employee.
Unfortunately, far too many employers are either afraid or prejudiced.
The other more frustrating situation is a placement where the management turnover is high.
We will develop a great relationship with manager and they hire a number of our people but then a new manager comes in who is uncomfortable or can't deal.
Not only do they not hire anymore people but we find ourselves having to go in and mediate for the people who are there.

This. We have had to hire 60 dollar an hour interpreters for deaf applicants.

Now a store can turn an applicant down for whatever reason. Its hard to prove you discriminated against someone but if someone is dumb enough to say, we can't take you because of your disability. Yes that would absolutely be an ADA violation, there's a reason leaders have to take the online class and quiz once a year.

It seems like you have an issue with having to hire 60 dollars an hour interpreters for deaf applicants?

How in god's name did you come to that conclusion
Cause the thread initially started out as a discussion regarding barriers for those with physical disabilities, and then mentioning that an interpreter costs $60 an hour which has nothing to do with physical barriers.

It seems like you have an issue with having to hire 60 dollars an hour interpreters for deaf applicants?

Not saying that at all it isn't my money. Target Corp has an account that pays for it.

My point is we can't make an excuse not to hire or interview someone due to a disability.

Cause the thread initially started out as a discussion regarding barriers for those with physical disabilities, and then mentioning that an interpreter costs $60 an hour which has nothing to do with physical barriers.

Is being deaf not a disability? Or are you trying to be dense?

Unbeknowest, I'm actually moderately-servere hard of hearing in both ears, I need to wear hearing aids and I say "I'm sorry, pardon?" or "what?" "what did you say, again? sorry." or "Sorry I didn't hear you."

It'd be better but my hearing aids need to be professionally cleaned, something's clogged inside and I can't get the full audio or use out of my hearing aids. At this point, they're just ear plugs... but really bad ones. Once I get them cleaned I should be good to go. Target may be one of the more capable employers to help employees with disabilities. Good luck getting a smaller business to even consider you if you require like an FM system or an interpreter. Even bigger chains probably would weasel themselves out of it or somehow get you fired.

Last edited:
Totally unrelated, but how do 2 level stores even work? Is the backroom 2 levels as well, with certain stockrooms on certain levels? Are there two balers/compactors? How do you bring flats up and down between floors? Are TM's assigned one level to work on per shift, or do they have to run between floors to answer call buttons? How does Flow work? Since you obviously have to unload everything on the lower level? If anyone has any knowledge of two level stores I'd apperciate it <.<

Worked at a newer 2 floor store.. They had a baler on each floor.. Guest had access to elevator and escalator.. We had 2 elevators that each fit about 3 pallets and two tubs sideways... There was also a conveyor belt type elevator to send pallets up.. Had a total do about 7 stock rooms. Tms assagined a floor and one LOD and one TLOD.

So personally if I worked at this store I would be speaking up or calling the hotline (is this something you can call for? I get confused about that, lol) to say I feel my needs as an employee are not being met.
If that didn't work then I would get a few other target disabled employees together and goto the media.
Only for the simple fact that this is wrong, VERY wrong. Now, Target is very accomodating as an employer for people with disabilities. I have witnessed it and also experienced it 1st hand. My store, in particular, is amazing, for people with physical, and intellectual disabilities and I applaud them for that BUT what is going on in the OPs post is not cool.

My store is also old, and with no elevator to our offices. I don't think there's any violation because a break room is only required when an employee can't leave the property during breaks and there are other computers that team members can access.

My store is also old, and with no elevator to our offices. I don't think there's any violation because a break room is only required when an employee can't leave the property during breaks and there are other computers that team members can access.

I am hoping you really don't believe this. Every team member deserves the same treatment. Break rooms are also for camaraderie. By not having access for all team members they are in effect singling them out. What about treats in the break room? A chance to sit and watch TV while on break? If it is available for 1 team member it needs to be available for all.

I used to like the breakroom until everyone started having loud 2-way phone phone conversations or watching crap on their phone sans earphones.

Peace and quiet in my truck...

I am hoping you really don't believe this. Every team member deserves the same treatment. Break rooms are also for camaraderie. By not having access for all team members they are in effect singling them out. What about treats in the break room? A chance to sit and watch TV while on break? If it is available for 1 team member it needs to be available for all.
Sure. Legally, none of that is necessary though.

Sure. Legally, none of that is necessary though.
Pretty sure it is.
@commiecorvus?
Like with the current team members that brought this question to mind have been taking their lunch and breaks other places than the breakroom since they cant climb the stairs to get up there. They arent allowed to sit in cafe since it looks bad to guests so they either go out to the smoking corner bench or their vehicle or a store nearby to sit

I was really surprised that the interpreter we use has a 2hr minimum charge. For a 15 min interview. We have two deaf workers, the new one I saw the po for the interpreter services. Worth every penny, but damn... I'm in the wrong job.

Ive actually been thinking I need to restart learning asl. My new girl doesn't speak much just points... it makes me feel bad to not be able to really connect with her and spelling things out seems like it would be awkward.

I have a smattering but am trying to build my ASL vocab for my regulars.
One of our SFTMs is VERY fluent & has been invited to interviews when an interpreter wasn't available but he's moving to another store :(

Pretty sure it is.
@commiecorvus?

According to the ADA,
Third, the employer must make adjustments so that disabled employees can enjoy the same benefits and privileges as the other employees.

I assume that means that if the other employees get the benefit of a break room then the disabled employee should as well.

I was really surprised that the interpreter we use has a 2hr minimum charge. For a 15 min interview. We have two deaf workers, the new one I saw the po for the interpreter services. Worth every penny, but damn... I'm in the wrong job.

Ive actually been thinking I need to restart learning asl. My new girl doesn't speak much just points... it makes me feel bad to not be able to really connect with her and spelling things out seems like it would be awkward.

The minimum charge is based on the fact that they don't know how long the interview will take and they only get a portion of that.
The company gets a piece, Uncle Sam gets a piece, etc. etc.
Most of the free lance interpreters I know live pretty close to the bone and have to worry constantly worry about carpel tunnel.
It might seem silly but the pros have to do a lot more finger spelling then the folks who just talk to each other and they have to be absolutely accurate so their hands get worn out quick.

If you want to brush up on you ASL give the local Deaf and Hard of Hearing Center a call.
They often have free classes.

Employers are required to provide reasonable accomidations. I don't know if a major construction project like an elevator is a reasonable accommodation. I think the accommodation in this case would be allowing that employee to use the cafe facilities to enjoy their break.

The ADA has very specific verbiage on mezzanines, which I think these off stage offices would be considered, as they are second stories that do not cover the entire first floor.

They also mention facilities containing non-primary functions don't need to adhere to ADA guidelines. Non-primary function facilities include boiler rooms, mechanical rooms, janitorial rooms, supply rooms, and employee lounges.

I really don't think ADA guidelines apply in this case. But then again, that was just what I gathered with some quick reading and I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

Lucky for me I have access to people who are experts on the ADA and handle the lawsuits involving it in my state.
I talked to them today and here is what I was told.

First off, not hiring the person in a wheelchair is illegal and would be a lawsuit if it could be proved, there is no way out of that one.

Second, if the other workers have access to a break room and the workers with disabilities do not have a similar facility then they are being discriminated against.
If this means allowing them to sit in the Starbucks (which is a whole lot cheaper then building an elevator to the break room on the second floor) then that's the way it goes.
This might not be an issue for a small company, they can get away with a lot of discrimination by claiming financial hardship, but not for a company as big as Spot.

The big one is going to be if the office is also upstairs as described
If the HR and STL offices are not accessible as described by one TM.
For a TM to not have the same access to HR as other employees and for the companies vaunted 'open door' policy to be limited to able employees is major league discrimination.

Talking to them on the floor is not the same or even close to an acceptable alternative.
This is one case where the offices would have to be moved or access installed.

All good information thank you. With the E2E changes our etls are trying to get our disabled workers performanced out since in the company's eyes they cant pull the weight so to speak. Our store is a mess of hotline calls and our dtl has been visiting twice a week for two months or so now. We just lost our stl sooooo yeah our store is one hell of a shit show right now :/ heck we still have instocks backroom and plano and all our E2E teams do is zone and reshop because our etl in charge of setting up our teams sits up stairs and shoots the breeze with our hr and flirts with our ap etl who everyone knows she is dating -_- honestly I hate my store which is sad becuase I really loved working there for so long

It may be Awkward, but I think she would appreciate it.

As Signing TM's, we inherently know how she feels, We may point, but no one cares to write it down, or listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back